Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 ip address change

Last response: in Windows 7
August 2, 2011 6:30:58 AM

Please tell me how do I change my IP address with windows 7. I am getting a warning message thta we have 2 pcs with the same ip address on our home wireless network...

More about : win address change

a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2011 9:51:56 AM

Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. Look for your active network connection (should be Local Area Network or something similar).
Right-click on the connection->Properties->TCP/IPv4. Then you should be able to change your IP and subnet mask.

Just to clarify, how is your home network configured? Do you normally enter addresses manually or are they supplied by a router?
m
l
August 2, 2011 4:44:53 PM

Quote:
Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections. Look for your active network connection (should be Local Area Network or something similar).

Oh you can configure your IP address elsewhere too in Windows 7:

Right click the network icon near the clock, then "Network Center & Sharing". Then on the left you click on "Modify adapter settings". Then you right click local connection and select "Properties". It shall get you to the same screen to change IP address for IPv4, but you won't have to go into the control panel to do so.

It is recommended that you set manually your Ip addresses. In IP address windows, you set the IP in the first field, click the second field it will update itself. Then the 3rd and 4th fields you set the IP of the router, most of tihe time it is 192.160.0.1. The fifth filed has to be empty.

Only you have to know that other hardware can get an IP address, it is not only reserved for computers. Example: Webcams can get IP addresses and conflict with yours.

Knowing that, when you set your IPs, do space them a bit to prevent that:

1st computer: 192.168.0.105
it's webcam will take the next automatically: 192.168.0.106

2nd computer: 192.168.0.110
it's webcam will take the next automatically: 192.168.0.111

printers connected on the network too do get an IP. After doing this trick you won't have IP conflict ever, and it will be easy to configure the router for this computer, and for that one using their IP addresses ^^

About IP addresses, you can only change the last number, not the other ones.

so 192.170.0.105 is not good as 230.168.0.105 isn't either. The last number can have values from 1 to 256. Better not use number 1 or 100 as most computers will automatically use them and cause an IP address conflict like you got. ^^

Note: Please don't flame me if some of these names are incorrect since my Windows is french and I've not used an english version of Windows 7 for 2 years by now. ^^
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2011 6:59:23 AM

Herr_Koos said:
Right-click on the connection->Properties->TCP/IPv4. Then you should be able to change your IP and subnet mask.

Just to clarify, how is your home network configured? Do you normally enter addresses manually or are they supplied by a router?

Something is a little odd there. DHCP wouldn't normally have this issue. If he was doing it manually, he should already know how to fix it.

Also wondering where this error message is appearing. Doesn't sound like a windows error message to me unless its its all being done manually.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 3, 2011 8:25:38 AM

^Agreed, hence my question. DCHP on a router should take care of everything, unless it hasn't been configured properly.
m
l
!