Sign in with
Your question

Monitor gets "No Signal" from 1 Computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2007 7:49:40 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware people,

A few days ago I encountered a major problem with my year-old computer.

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB (PCI-Express)
Motherboard: MSI NVIDIA nForce 4 K8N Neo4 Platinum http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4_Platinum&class=mb
RAM: 1 Gigabyte
Processor: AMD Athlon 64-Bit

I restarted my computer after a normal day of messing around and I wasn't getting any signal to the monitor. The computer itself was starting up just fine, booting into Windows XP, I could tell because I was able to shut down by hitting "Windows Button" > "U" > "U" on the keyboard to shut it down.

The monitor isn't getting any signal *AT ALL*, as-in from the moment the computer turns on there is no signal, so I can't access or see the BIOS or anything for that matter. I'm using the Analog port on my monitor and video card, for some reason my computer didn't come with the DVI wire.

There is no on-board video, I wish!

I tried the monitor with another computer and the monitor works fine -- using it now as I type this. My buddy suggested that I open the case, take the video card out, then put it back in. I tried that a few times and I am still getting no signal. Got lots of dust balls out of the computer as well. :) 

I turned the computer on while the case was open, and I could see and feel that the fan on the video card was working. As a last resort, my buddy told me to clear the "CMOS," which on my motherboard is supposedly cleared by pressing a little red button. I also tried removing the pancake-shaped battery for a few minutes and putting it back in. All that accomplished is that my computer no longer boots into Windows. :(  I have no idea what it is booting into actually, since I can't see the screen. I wish I didn't clear the CMOS, especially since I have no frickin' clue what I did by doing that.

Hmm, can't think of anything else to write. Well, I was playing around with a program called "WindowBlinds" just before this problem occurred. I'd never used the program before until the day the signal went away. I changed the theme of Windows XP a few times then decided the program was not my thing so I uninstalled it and it asked me to restart, I did, and now there's no signal... *sigh* Possibly related, but I'd assume it would effect Windows, and not the loading before Windows.

Any help or input would be appreciated. :(  Not having my main computer really sucks! Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd give as much information as possible to avoid some basic questions. :) 

Thanks!
Shpongled
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2007 8:31:38 AM

Quote:
Hello Tom's Hardware people,

Motherboard: MSI NVIDIA nForce 4 K8N Neo4 Platinum http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8N_Neo4_Platinum&class=mb

I restarted my computer after a normal day of messing around and I wasn't getting any signal to the monitor. The computer itself was starting up just fine, booting into Windows XP, I could tell because I was able to shut down by hitting "Windows Button" > "U" > "U" on the keyboard to shut it down.

The monitor isn't getting any signal *AT ALL*, as-in from the moment the computer turns on there is no signal, so I can't access or see the BIOS or anything for that matter. I'm using the Analog port on my monitor and video card, for some reason my computer didn't come with the DVI wire.

There is no on-board video, I wish!

I tried the monitor with another computer and the monitor works fine -- using it now as I type this. My buddy suggested that I open the case, take the video card out, then put it back in. I tried that a few times and I am still getting no signal. Got lots of dust balls out of the computer as well. :) 

I turned the computer on while the case was open, and I could see and feel that the fan on the video card was working. As a last resort, my buddy told me to clear the "CMOS," which on my motherboard is supposedly cleared by pressing a little red button. I also tried removing the pancake-shaped battery for a few minutes and putting it back in. All that accomplished is that my computer no longer boots into Windows. :(  I have no idea what it is booting into actually, since I can't see the screen. I wish I didn't clear the CMOS, especially since I have no frickin' clue what I did by doing that.

Hmm, can't think of anything else to write. Well, I was playing around with a program called "WindowBlinds" just before this problem occurred. I'd never used the program before until the day the signal went away. I changed the theme of Windows XP a few times then decided the program was not my thing so I uninstalled it and it asked me to restart, I did, and now there's no signal... *sigh* Possibly related, but I'd assume it would effect Windows, and not the loading before Windows.

Any help or input would be appreciated. :(  Not having my main computer really sucks! Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd give as much information as possible to avoid some basic questions. :) 

Thanks!
Shpongled

buy MSI - expect things like this
May 4, 2007 11:29:01 AM

OK, so are you saying that from the information I've posted that it seems that my motherboard is the culprit, or are you basically saying you dislike MSI in general?

I called a few people within the last few hours and they seem to think it's my video card, based on my description, since the computer was able to boot into Windows XP without a monitor signal, but I'd like to get some more opinions. :) 

I'll look into a new motherboard in the meantime, just hoping that isn't the actual problem because it costs twice as much as the video card I'm looking at. >_<;

Thanks again for your input,
Shpongled
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 4, 2007 2:33:20 PM

Hi ive had this, it ended up being a dead graphics card they can die a bit at a time or all at once ie the fan would spin but no signal.
Removing the cmos battery should have just set your board back to factory settings.
It had me stumped as i didnt know i had no onboard graphics at the time.
I had a spare card which wouldnt run on it either for some reason? im guessing it was the wrong drivers installed but as you know no screen cant do squat with it.
Had to take it to a shop and they fitted the spare card for me .
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 4, 2007 2:37:56 PM

If its a year old isnt it under waranty?
If it is let the shop fix it (honest guv i never touched it it just went blank) :D 
May 4, 2007 3:05:47 PM

dont rule out the possibilty that it could be the motherboard..

i have no signal to my comp.. should be replacing my motherboard today..
May 4, 2007 3:18:26 PM

Have you tried another monitor on your computer?
Try another video card in your computer.
May 4, 2007 5:10:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

The funny thing about the warranty is that it expired literally *DAYS* before the problem occurred. Warranty expired on April 26th, problem occurred on May 2nd. Fancy that! >_<

From the suggestions I've gotten so far, I'll:

+ Try computer with different monitor.
+ Try different PCI-E video card.
+ Pray that it isn't my motherboard.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a PCI-E video card, only AGP, so I'll have to go out and buy a PCI-E card or make more friends, figure I'll upgrade to a Sapphire Radeon X1650XT per the forum sticky recommendation and hope it works when I plug it in. :D 

I just got back from taking the computer to a 'technician' that works at a local Bangkok Internet Cafe. Brought the computer over there -- hauled it manually 1 kilometer -- and when I get there the guy is like "I'm working now, I can't repair it today." *LOL* He didn't tell me that on the phone >_<... What a streak of bad luck I'm having.

Anyway, thanks again guys. :)  Great forum, quick answers, knowledgeable users! :) 
May 5, 2007 3:57:51 AM

I am just curious, does your northbridge have a heatsink on it?

Recently this same issue happened to me (on a MSI board also). Apparently the northbridge failed on mine. it booted, it powered up and everything, shut it down the same way as you. No signal to monitor but the gfx card fan started up fine. Onboard video test showed that it didnt work either. After a bios reset, it powered up but nothing worked, even the mouse and keyboard was dead. Holding a button on the keyboard during startup didn't cause a keyboard error (no beeps).

All I did was restart the computer one day and it died. A replacement board fixed mine, I am just glad the CPU wasn't damaged.

Don't feel bad about the warranty. I got my mom a comp from dell, the day after it expired the HDD decided to go on permanent strike with the DVD-ROM, kinda strange how they both died at once.
May 5, 2007 9:52:26 AM

In Reply To Everyone:

Well, to my surprise, it turns out it was the MSI Motherboard that is the culprit -- Apache_lives was right, as much as I doubted it!

I brought my computer to a technician and saw him swap out the Video Card, the RAM, and the Power Supply, and the problem still occurred. He came to the conclusion that it was a problem with my Motherboard and that he recommends an ASUS M2N4-SLI DDR2 or a ASUS M2N-E DDR2, since I need both PCI-E and a slot for my AMD 64 CPU.

I am quite shocked that the problem is my Motherboard, most signs were pointing towards it being a Video Card problem, although I am obviously not an expert.

@SinxarKnights: I don't think it damaged my CPU -- at least I hope it didn't -- since it was able to boot into Windows XP, but who knows, I'll find out once I get my new Motherboard! >_<

What do you guys think of his Motherboard recommendation? I know one thing for sure, I won't use MSI again!

ASUS M2N4-SLI DDR2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=ASUS+M2N4&x=0&y=0
ASUS M2N-E DDR2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=ASUS%20M2N&bop=And&SrchInDesc=ASUS%20M2N%2DE&Page=1
Any suggestions on which to buy? They are both around the same price.

Once again, thanks for all the replies!
May 6, 2007 2:42:09 PM

I would just go ahead and get the SLI one. I am sorry to hear that it was your motherboard. Just as a small update, it DID take out the CPU. :( . But it is all good, it was an old 478 board. This computer served me very well and even allowed me to play Oblivion on med settings with a 6600GT. I still feel bad about it but then I think about my new stuff coming Tuesday.
May 10, 2007 3:20:12 PM

Quote:

Yesterday I encountered this exact problem. I have exactly the same setup as Shpongled. I was hoping it was a video card issue, because I don't really want to replace the mobo. Ugh.

Apparently May is a rough month for MSI owners...
May 12, 2007 5:27:39 AM

my nvidea 7600 just shot out today also only diffrence is im using biostar m7ncd mainboard. i disassembled the entier rig and it booted fine afterwards with a diffrent moniter, but that was only once and no dice when it was actually togeather. im hopeing from the second boot to failure that would indicate it might be the video card. if it is the mainboard any suggestions on one that supports an old amd duron and agp 8x?
also its been locking up and bluescreening since i had it but thaught this was due to not a large enough power supply. just upgraded to 550watts right before this happened and it only reduced the lock up time and just as many bluescreens kinda thinking drivers had a role in this
!