Sign in with
Your question

Intel rumored to buy SOITEC (AMD's sole waffer supplier)

Last response: in CPUs
May 4, 2007 9:03:04 AM

If the buyout comes true, it will be a nightmare for AMD / IBM / Chartered / Microsoft 8O
May 4, 2007 10:52:30 AM

This wont happen since Intel doesnt really need SOI, at least not in such quantities it would be worthwhile to buy all SOITEC. Even InQ says its unlikely rumour :) 
May 4, 2007 10:54:19 AM

forget it...its the inquirer...
May 4, 2007 10:59:41 AM

I doubt that is true, but AMD would be a very tight spot if it happend.
May 4, 2007 11:34:39 AM

I hope it stays to be just a rumor
May 4, 2007 11:52:24 AM

Quote:
This wont happen since Intel doesnt really need SOI, at least not in such quantities it would be worthwhile to buy all SOITEC. Even InQ says its unlikely rumour :) 

Actually I do know a bit about the relationship between SOITEC and Intel...

It can happen. Intel never ruled out that they won't utilise SOI technology for its waffler, just that it was too early for 60nm and 45nm. So the rumor does have some basis for me.
May 4, 2007 11:57:26 AM

Intels got the worlds balls smashed, how mean. :lol: 

Sorry for bad language :oops: 
May 4, 2007 12:01:48 PM

This is one of the rumors from our favourite people that we for once hope doesn't come true...
May 4, 2007 12:23:20 PM

Dang.. that would be crazy.
May 4, 2007 12:51:15 PM

If intel did buy them (they won't) they'd have a hell of a time staying out of anti-trust hearings...
May 4, 2007 3:17:47 PM

Quote:
More Inq BS -- there is no way they would get approval from the various governing bodies....

My first thoughts as well.
May 4, 2007 3:51:26 PM

Intel buys AMD and we'll then be buying cpu's for $1,500.

I hate rumors.
May 4, 2007 4:13:57 PM

What does Intel need with SOI? Meh on Inq.
May 4, 2007 4:28:41 PM

Quote:
More Inq BS -- there is no way they would get approval from the various governing bodies....

I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the "It's the Inquirer BS" yet. This story comes from Bloomberg. Bloomberg Link

Although I don't believe the rumor has much merit. It would not be all that unusual of a move for Intel. Future Intel projects will involve integrated lasers on chip which is dependent on SOI technology as I understand it. This could very well be a realistic solution to ensuring adequate quantities of wafers. Intel already does nearly everything else in house. They are still dependent on other companies to supply silicon wafers though.

Also I don't believe this would have any real antitrust implications to it. There are many other silicon companies which would pick up the slack if needed.
May 4, 2007 4:43:23 PM

Quote:

My first thoughts as well.I don't agree. They aren't a CPU manufacturer....so there's no monopolistic problems there.
May 4, 2007 4:45:54 PM

Is that AMD's problem, they are making waffers smug they have the best ones, while Intel has been working on cutting edge wafer technology and CPU fab design...?
May 4, 2007 4:48:57 PM

Quote:

My first thoughts as well.I don't agree. They aren't a CPU manufacturer....so there's no monopolistic problems there.
Remember that all their competitors use SOI, and in particular this company.
May 4, 2007 4:55:30 PM

This is not even a good rumor. Can't believed someone would print something so absurd.
May 4, 2007 4:56:01 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't be too quick to jump on the "It's the Inquirer BS" yet. This story comes from Bloomberg. Bloomberg Link

Although I don't believe the rumor has much merit. It would not be all that unusual of a move for Intel. Future Intel projects will involve integrated lasers on chip which is dependent on SOI technology as I understand it. This could very well be a realistic solution to ensuring adequate quantities of wafers. Intel already does nearly everything else in house. They are still dependent on other companies to supply silicon wafers though.

Also I don't believe this would have any real antitrust implications to it. There are many other silicon companies which would pick up the slack if needed.

I agree with Jack. A move like this from Intel to try to control the supplies would get the attention of the anti-trust people in a hurry. Aslo, there just aren't that many sources of SOI wafers out there, so AMD would be put in a real hurt very fast, further inciting the anti-trust watchdogs.

Besides that, as mentioned by Bloomberg's, since a fair amount of Soitec's business comes from AMD, if Intel bought it and cut off AMD, then Soitec would start loosing money. Further, as Bloomberg's point out, Intel has denied interest in Soitec. This puts the whole thing in the rumor and FUD type of stuff.
May 4, 2007 4:59:35 PM

You can't? didya fergit the baroness?
May 4, 2007 5:15:56 PM

Quote:
I know, it's from the Inquirer! :lol: 

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39389

But if this news is true, it sounds a little scary.

Yeah... that would be a great move in the middle of an anti-trust case after admitting your employees hadn't properly retained their e-mails.
May 4, 2007 5:20:45 PM

Quote:
I agree with Jack. A move like this from Intel to try to control the supplies would get the attention of the anti-trust people in a hurry. Aslo, there just aren't that many sources of SOI wafers out there, so AMD would be put in a real hurt very fast, further inciting the anti-trust watchdogs.

Besides that, as mentioned by Bloomberg's, since a fair amount of Soitec's business comes from AMD, if Intel bought it and cut off AMD, then Soitec would start loosing money. Further, as Bloomberg's point out, Intel has denied interest in Soitec. This puts the whole thing in the rumor and FUD type of stuff.

I agree with you that this story is not likely, even to go so far as to call it FUD. But I am saying it is not impossible. Intel would not be buying the company for making profits by selling wafers to companies. They would buy it to supply their own needs thus saving themselves mucho costs.

The cost of buying SOI wafers is still much higher than bare silicon which is still much higher than the actual cost of making the wafer. If Intel takes over the company and starts making wafers in house, they stand to save a lot of money.

This would be a very good move towards lowering manufacturing costs. I must concede though that I have no idea what the legal implications would be.
May 4, 2007 5:39:11 PM

Quote:

Besides that, as mentioned by Bloomberg's, since a fair amount of Soitec's business comes from AMD, if Intel bought it and cut off AMD, then Soitec would start loosing money. Further, as Bloomberg's point out, Intel has denied interest in Soitec. This puts the whole thing in the rumor and FUD type of stuff.A long as there's one other, though....i doubt the gov. can say anything....unless Intel owned that one too. :) 
May 4, 2007 5:43:14 PM

Quote:

The likeliness of this happening is next to zit.

As someone already pointed out, Intel doesn't need SOI, and probably won't touch it in the future anyway. I guess Intel is staying CMOS in the foreseeable future.

Aside from that, Intel already has tons of FABs to maintain. Not like they're going to shell out billions of dollars to acquire another FAB.
May 4, 2007 6:24:48 PM

Quote:

The likeliness of this happening is next to zit.

As someone already pointed out, Intel doesn't need SOI, and probably won't touch it in the future anyway. I guess Intel is staying CMOS in the foreseeable future.

Aside from that, Intel already has tons of FABs to maintain. Not like they're going to shell out billions of dollars to acquire another FAB.

They do seem to have billions of dollars to spare though--however, with the current difficulties AMD is facing right now, that would be a devastating blow that they will never recover from IMO. ATI's R600 may just beat the 8800GTX--but now the 8800 Ultra just came out, Intel's Core 2 Duo is gaining even more steam, and Dell moves to AMD and almost immediately loses market share (purely coincidence, I think, but definately a dampener on AMD...plus I know few who have actually ordered Dell AMD systems).

AMD is already in serious trouble, more serious than they'll admit I'm afraid. If Intel acquires SOITEC, AMD may fizzle out completely. They are big now, but this'd slowly kill them, even should they find a new waffer supplier. I hope it's FUD...
May 4, 2007 6:36:06 PM

maybe the reason for intel to buy

http://news.com.com/Intel+unveils+silicon+laser/2100-10...

SOI+silicon laser+32nm = Westmere/Sandy Bridge

page 2
....The experimental chip includes silicon on insulator, a technology promoted by IBM and one Intel has regularly criticized when used in microprocessors....
May 4, 2007 8:13:14 PM

Quote:

Ok, here's the best part...(from Bloomberg)

Quote:

speculation Intel Corp. may be considering buying the company.

There's speculation that Intel may be considering...

Too many conditionals for me.
May 4, 2007 8:29:32 PM

It's coming from a horse's arse so it's not relaible.
May 4, 2007 9:12:17 PM

Quote:
maybe the reason for intel to buy

http://news.com.com/Intel+unveils+silicon+laser/2100-10...

SOI+silicon laser+32nm = Westmere/Sandy Bridge

page 2
....The experimental chip includes silicon on insulator, a technology promoted by IBM and one Intel has regularly criticized when used in microprocessors....

Hmmm....you could be on to something here...good find. And, beside that, assuming it's the leading motive, it would make for a really agressive market positioning move for Intel if actually done. Why not? Buy one of the major suppliers to your competitors and make a profit off of their success. It's a bit like hedging your bets...if IBM/AMD/et al silicon business picks up, Intel would get a piece of that pie. It sweetens the deal even more if Intel actually begins using SOI. Hmmm...

As many have stated already, this is baring any legal issues with such a move...I just can't think of any at the moment. Now, if Intel bought the company, then substantially increased the price to IBM/AMD/et al, then that would certainly be an attention grabber.
May 5, 2007 12:53:48 AM

I'm worried it could happen for no other reason than the fact that the AMD/ATI rumors were so bogus BS rumors...then the merger actually happened, and theinquirer was the first to mention it! *Gasp*!
May 5, 2007 2:34:48 AM

Inq rubbish.
!