Sign in with
Your question

Final AMD "Stars" Models Unveiled

Last response: in CPUs
May 4, 2007 10:14:35 AM

At least that's what’s DailyTech says :) 
I don't now how much can we thrust this but it's better than nothing I guess ...

Link

And some info about the chipsets ...

Link

More about : final amd stars models unveiled

May 4, 2007 10:17:12 AM

I think (if the data from the article is confirmed) that is very good that AMD will launch an FX version for Socket AM2 & AM2+ and not only for Socket 1207

It gives the users a nice upgrade possibility without the need to change the motherboard
May 4, 2007 11:37:25 AM

Quote:
ZZZZzzzzz Q4 :roll: Better late than never, I guess.

Posotive side is it shows they have been working hard lately; I hope it pays off good for AMD , they could use a great performer.

I totally agree.
Related resources
May 4, 2007 11:41:26 AM

Quote:

Posotive side is it shows they have been working hard lately; I hope it pays off good for AMD , they could use a great performer.
Don't uncross your fingers yet. :wink:
May 4, 2007 12:52:57 PM

What's the difference between the AM2+ Phenon FX and Phenom X4?
May 4, 2007 3:31:26 PM

None I think ... the only thing it's different it's the speed. Obviously the FX has higher clock speeds 2,6 GHz vs 2,4 GHz
May 4, 2007 6:29:03 PM

Quote:
None I think ... the only thing it's different it's the speed. Obviously the FX has higher clock speeds 2,6 GHz vs 2,4 GHz

Actually its the unlocked multiplier, its for easier overclocking in case you didn't know.
May 4, 2007 7:04:05 PM

If they stay true to what has been done in the past then I agree with corvetteguy in saying that they will have an unlocked multi. And in many cases you can find them to be a higher quality chip, such as a server chip usually is as well.

Best,

3Ball
May 4, 2007 7:06:24 PM

Quote:
What's the difference between the AM2+ Phenon FX and Phenom X4?

Maybe the prices they charge? Doesn't matter. I'm planning to build a computer during the next couple months, so stuff that isn't coming out until Q3 07 to Q1 08, not counting on the delays that have become so common, means that all this measn little to me. The only thing that might be hopeful is if a motherboard came out that would run a present day cpu and would still allow migration into one of these promised cpus. Even then, in 6 months to a year, I'd expect motherboards would change for the better and I'd have to buy a new one anyway for top performance.

Like Vern wrote, zzzzzzzz. Wake me up when something really happens worth noting.
May 5, 2007 3:39:02 PM

Quote:
Dang. But if they push k10 to q4, and penryn comes out first like the qx6700 beat qfx to the release, and beat it in benchmarks too+power consumption too, what happens then? Knowing intel, they won't wait for amd, seeing as how they are trying to shove amd's face in their feces right now

I see you don't understand AMD's marketing stradegy. First they develop a new product. Then they announce how much better it is then the Intel or Nvidia product, as concerns the case. Then they start a series of delays until such time that their product is out of date. Finally, they show off the product to some reporters, but put out NDA's so the reporters are not supposed to tell anyone how it really performs. After that, they might whine and cry a bit how no one understands them and it must all be a conspiracy against them raised by Intel or Nvidia, as concerns the case.

Now, isn't that a way to get ahead in the business world?

Note: the first paragraph was meant to be unabashed sarcasm and not to be taken seriously. I actually hope that the new video cards and cpus from AMD/ATI do well. Otherwise, we are all doomed to excessively high prices and lack of innovation by the surviving companies.
May 5, 2007 3:50:28 PM

Quote:
Dang. But if they push k10 to q4, and penryn comes out first like the qx6700 beat qfx to the release, and beat it in benchmarks too+power consumption too, what happens then? Knowing intel, they won't wait for amd, seeing as how they are trying to shove amd's face in their feces right now

Note that in all likelihood, Intel will not release Penryn until its really necessary. Why put out your trump card now when your opponent has no cards at the table?
May 5, 2007 4:32:54 PM

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they release it with all these cheap Core 2's still floating. Nay, there is no real reason to release it. Sometimes its the card that you don't play that has the most value.
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2007 6:18:38 PM

Quote:
I see you don't understand AMD's marketing stradegy. First they develop a new product. Then they announce how much better it is then the Intel or Nvidia product, as concerns the case. Then they start a series of delays until such time that their product is out of date. Finally, they show off the product to some reporters, but put out NDA's so the reporters are not supposed to tell anyone how it really performs. After that, they might whine and cry a bit how no one understands them and it must all be a conspiracy against them raised by Intel or Nvidia, as concerns the case.

You forgot the next step - filing an antitrust lawsuit against Intel for their anticompetitive behavior :) 
May 5, 2007 7:35:01 PM

Quote:

You forgot the next step - filing an antitrust lawsuit against Intel for their anticompetitive behavior :) 

Ah, there I go again, showing the senility of my old age.

Well, I just got my copy of Vista business. Lets see, I got the case, the hardrive, the dvd drive, a psu, the OS, a lcd panel. What's left? A video card, cpu, and motherboard. Now, will AMD/ATI supply something usefull or will it end up with Intel and Nvidia by default? I figure to make the build in June, July at the latest, barring unforseen circumstance.
May 5, 2007 10:46:32 PM

No it wasn't. It was on the Egg the same day it was released. I know. I purchased it. As for Conroe, it was a "lack" of boards.
May 6, 2007 12:58:22 AM

Quote:
Perhaps, it's just that knowing intel, my guess is that at least they are trying to scare amd with a q4 penryn launch, though most likely it'll be a paper one unlike the r600's and barcelona's hard launches (supposedly)

I doubt Intel will paper launch Penryn -- over the past 18 months, Intel has not done any paper launches, I think they want to keep that image shining through in the face of all of AMD's recent paper launches...

Jack
***cough***conroe***cough***
Not to mention the qx was a paper launch too, those didn't come in large quantities until around Janruary really

A paper lauch is when you say "product X is now available" but it isnt. As with Ninja, I purchased a C2D on the day Intel released it. Not a paper launch. Cough :roll:
May 6, 2007 1:20:40 AM

Quote:
Perhaps that's the definition, but what I meant is that the stores actually have more than 1 one of each product, conroes where at newegg for like 1 hour at the most, then they were out of stock for a very long period

That Intel didnt anticipate the demand for thousands of processors, or that the most desirable models would be sold out in hours does not indicate a paper launch. Additionally, from launch to this day, there have been a continuous supply of C2Ds available. That the vast majority of people wanted the 6700, 6600s and 6400s, leaving only the 6800 readily available is irrelevant, since had you wanted a C2D you could have bought one. Further, if post launch availablity is the metric by which you are judging, then the entire athlon series of CPUs as well as the A64s and X2 939s were all paper launchs as various models of those (the 3200XPs, A64 4000s and X23800s)sold out and were unavalable from time to time.

And Im sure most stores had more than one product, since the tend to be sold in bin lots of 1000.
May 6, 2007 1:39:45 AM

Quote:
Bah, it was gone the second day, and continously out of stock for roughly a month, you call that a hard launch? I know a lot has to do with everyone buying it, but I wouldn't call it a hard launch unless if there's enough supply to continously fill the channels

Apparently a hard launch to AMD is posting it for an hour at new egg and then backing down from it and waiting for a month. Its like baron and some broad on a dancefloor ,,,,almost but not quite a hard launch.

I thought AMD's idea of a hard launch was talking about how great an item is, without any mention at all of its availability, or the timespan of when it would be available. And please, no references to the baron's doings on a dancefloor. That stuff isn't allowed even here in Nevada. After all, we do have SOME standards here in Nevada.
May 6, 2007 2:30:04 AM

Quote:

Then drive your men back into line, I know they're trying their hardest, but I suppose with intel not giving them any breathing room, that's all they can do for now, I'm just worried about if penryn comes out first, what happens. For mainstream, most will probably go k10 because many won't oc, penryn will probably become then enthusiast quad since amd is still using soi, and server will probably belong to amd too, so my guess is that things will look pretty bright as long as they time the launch well for the new slew of intel products and what not
humm i'm sorry but i'll have to say i disagree with you. although most users don't OC, they also concern about the price. with Intel's aggressive (not predatory) pricing, i don't know if most users will shell out more money for K10, if all they're going to do is play some tetris and view some website. however, i do agree that AMD will pretty much rule the server space once K10 is out, especially if K10 is optimized for server applications. but for desktop and notebook, i still have some doubts.

however i could be wrong though. :roll:
May 6, 2007 3:14:23 AM

The land thing is a common misunderstanding. The mining companies do not buy the land from the government, but lease it for something like $7 an acre with a hundred year lease. At the end of the lease, or if the mine is abandoned, the land has to be restored to its original looks, so no open pit mines are left as big holes in the ground. There are really some very strict laws about that.

Companies still get very rich, of course, since they only pay $7 per acre and take out thousands, even millions of dollars worth of gold or silver per acre. A thing that most of us Nevadans object to is that the U.S. government owns about 90% of the land in Nevada and refuses to sell it to the people. I think Alaska is the only state that has less private ownership of land than Nevada.

All this is getting far off subject. I want the R600 video card to come out, so I at least have the opportunity to decide whether I like it or not. Same with the K10 cpu series. In a few weeks I'm giving my son this computer for his graduation present and I'll be forced to use my old computer until I build a new one. So I want choices of what to install, not just be presented with a new version of Henry Ford's statement, "You can have a car in any color you want, as long as its black", i.e. you can have a fast cpu from any company you want, as long as its from Intel.
May 6, 2007 6:47:01 AM

Quote:
I suppose

and I know qfx was a complete paper launch, but I'm expecting k10 and the r600 to try to fix that, as amd seems to keep everyone waiting by stockpiling constantly

As I recall, the QFX parts werent available for only a couple of weeks. If thats right, then its not too bad. The 5000 and 5200 were bad. The 5000----just bleh. AMD handled that so poorly.....just bleh.
May 6, 2007 5:11:57 PM

Intel will probably launch penryn then it originally announced to:
A. lower there prices and put there CPU's in place to make them the better low end buy.

B. Get the word out that they have a great product out before AMD can get k10 out, and get more people set that they are the best brand to buy, by word of mouth, getting every one to buy before AMD's launch.

C. Sabotage AMD's wind for there launch and really stomp them in the dirt.

D. Not to do like AMD/ATI, by postponing there launches, so they can have the better reputation.
May 6, 2007 5:12:34 PM

8O ..... I don't know how I double posted. Sorry! :oops: 
May 6, 2007 5:32:38 PM

Don't forget to also get back the market they've lost and then some.
May 6, 2007 6:07:47 PM

IBM may have too. If AMD doesn't at least paper launch before Intel’s launch of penryn, then AMD will not have a chance to recover at least until Q4 2008, if K10 is the better processor. Most hardware enthusiast will buy Intel when they launcher there CPU's and they will sing Intel's praises.
May 6, 2007 11:52:58 PM

Quote:
The question is, are the cpus efficient like conroes, or just another netburst

I have no Idea
May 7, 2007 12:28:15 AM

Quote:
I know, but right now for stock people, the 5200 and 5600 are great buys to credit amd for something

Yes they are. Its too bad for AMD it took them 8 months to make them great buys. The 5000 could have gone a long way in stemming the market loss if AMD had been reasonable and lowered the price realistically back in July of last year
May 7, 2007 12:31:58 AM

Quote:
It seems to be really big to me anyways, here's some info on it
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6124451.html

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that. I've been say for a few years now, that if any of the technologies, like light, q-bit, etc; become a reality, they will be faster because of the change in language. Instead of a decimal system the numbers that come to the computer will carry more information in a pulse, and the computer will do more in that same pulse.
May 7, 2007 12:52:50 AM

Quote:
I just wonder when it will debut, how it will perform, and how much will servers with that cpu cost?

If it will work with windows, or will we need a new OS? (that will determine if the chip gets to the mass market.)
May 7, 2007 2:16:39 AM

Quote:
Agreed, especially since ibm dumped soi with the power6 core and is supposedly hitting at least 5ghz on air with those cpus. The question is, are the cpus efficient like conroes, or just another netburst

Power6 should be a FP monster and dominant in high CPU count systems, but unlikely to match current Core 2s in integer.

http://www.realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=de...

Quote:
I just wonder when it will debut, how it will perform, and how much will servers with that cpu cost?

Current Power5 servers go from several thousand into millions. The list price for a 2-core Power5 1.65GHz is $3592:

http://www.tpc.org/results/individual_results/IBM/IBM_5...

Quote:

If it will work with windows, or will we need a new OS? (that will determine if the chip gets to the mass market.)

It's PowerPC, so AIX mainly and defintely not Windows.
!