DVI Interface/cable - Arrrrgg!

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 10, 2004 4:38:46 AM

I've got an HDTV with a DVI-I female input connector on the back.
I've got a new PC that has a 15 pin DVI female out connector.

Can I not connect these two with a cable? I've looked around but it seems
that all of the cables with the 15 pin connector only have a DVD-D
connector on the other end.

I'm sure I'm missing something, perhaps has to do with digital versus
analog here.
Can I not display the computer on the HDTV? What cable/converter/connection
do I need.
TIA for any advice.
December 11, 2004 6:18:25 PM

Bulk Daddy wrote:
> I've got an HDTV with a DVI-I female input connector on the back.
> I've got a new PC that has a 15 pin DVI female out connector.
>
> Can I not connect these two with a cable? I've looked around but it
seems
> that all of the cables with the 15 pin connector only have a DVD-D
> connector on the other end.
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something, perhaps has to do with digital versus

> analog here.
> Can I not display the computer on the HDTV? What
cable/converter/connection
> do I need.
> TIA for any advice.

Although the DVI connector on your video card has the same number of
pins, that doesn't mean it's compatible with your HDTV's DVI input. DVI
is different than all other forms of input (save IEEE 1394) in that,
it's true digital. So on top of the pin connector there are a few
different standards in which the data can be sent and HDTV manufactuers
have purposely chosen something different than the PC video card
manufacters. DVI out on the video card isn't intended to be a method to
connect your PC to your HDTV.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 9:43:22 PM

Thanks for the very good respond!
It makes sense, in a way.
To bad that so much of the digital entertainment industry has so many
different standards that don't all mesh.

jeremy@pdq.net wrote in news:1102807105.052185.172350
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

!