Last response: in Overclocking
April 3, 2008 6:03:24 PM

rodney_ws said:
Zip it.

Oh rodney, you slay me! :D 
a b K Overclocking
April 3, 2008 10:50:40 PM

dignatec said:
Shadow: Thanks for not flaming me, I had a feeling some people might get a bit upset about my remark.

However, I'm talking bout a modern pc, the q6600. There was one review site that showed no diff (forget which one, can google for it) and that makes sense for me. I agree the TRUE may not be 100% optimized for older chips in terms of modern chips, it should be for newer chips. Again for 2-3 C, it's not worth me spending 3+ hrs for very little gain and losing my warranty....

Even on the newer CPUs you can still expect about 7-10C drop. Seen this with a E6600. Again it depends on each CPU.
April 4, 2008 1:40:01 PM

Hmm.... well let me OC my cpu to 3.6 and see how hot it gets this weekend. I'll think about the lapping issue after that. Some before/after screen's would be helpful! :) 
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2008 4:45:38 PM

^ Agreed, unfortunately I usually lap CPU/Heatsink any way even before OCing so I don't have any sceenshots. Make note that those 10C drops were due to lapping BOTH CPU AND Heatsink

Here is a pic of one of my lappped CPU:
April 9, 2008 6:23:32 PM

How do u sand the board? How did u get your hands in there?
April 9, 2008 7:08:34 PM

dignatec said:

wow.....

Um...

Wow....

:pfff: 
April 9, 2008 7:31:21 PM

1752127,109,134604 said:
wow.....

Um...

Wow....

:pfff: [/quotemsg
thats hilarious
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2008 8:24:17 PM

dignatec said:

Ok Ill try not to laugh ..... :lol:  ... YOU TAKE THE CPU OUT OF THE BOARD AND SAND IT :lol:  :lol: 
April 9, 2008 9:06:02 PM

dignatec said:

See class, THATS how you get a dead thread started again!

:lol: 
April 10, 2008 12:19:33 PM

dignatec:
Sorry, I did not mean any harm in what I said.... I am just stunned that you asked that question.
April 10, 2008 2:17:09 PM

Had anybody consider that temp. decrese is due to less space between heat source and spreader and so it could be important to lap as deep as possible and not only to match two surfices???
April 12, 2008 8:48:22 PM

can you lap vga gpu as well
April 17, 2008 1:47:04 AM

ed22222 said:
can you lap vga gpu as well

be difficult as gpu is not mounted in a socket so how could you take it out and do what is described.
April 18, 2008 5:25:49 PM

the concavity probably comes from how they are stamped out of the sheet.

does removing the protective layer cause corosion problems.

I used to alwayes hear about removing the IHS from back in the s939 days.

does anyone still do this?
May 4, 2008 5:41:52 AM

This thread inspired me to do the same with my E8400:

Started with 400 finished with 1000.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Temps are about the same... But it's way hotter today compared to when I did the pre temps. Also I am hoping once the thermalgrease is broken in it will be a bit lower. 36c before and 36c after.
May 13, 2008 10:46:11 PM

Hey graysky, is your Q6600 GO stepping?
Does anybody thinkhs having a Scythe Infinity with 2 fans (1300 rpm push - pull) on a Q6600 GO @ 3.3GHZ getting 70ºC to be normal?
May 14, 2008 4:46:51 AM

Hi,
This is my first post to the forum, great site people, keep up the great work and advice.

I want to comment on the Lapping subject.... The comment left by jimmm is correct (my opinion), when tightening down on the HS there is alway going to be a little flex, especially in the casing of the cpu due to the thiness in the casing of the cpu. Once tightened evenly the surface will flex (although you will not see it with the naked eye, it will flex) and will be very close if not almost perfect. Even after 1 month re tighten the screws again evenly and you will not need any lapping.

Take care all...and good luck.

Peace
May 14, 2008 2:36:52 PM

rojito, as I've said on the thread you started, no those are not good temperatures for your setup. Something is awry. Please try cleaning and reapplying.
May 25, 2008 3:05:09 AM

rodney_ws said:
Zip it.

Cavemen didnt have zippers :pfff: 
May 30, 2008 8:43:47 PM

nice job. i'm surprised someone doesn't offer this as a service.
when i worked at Spectra-Physics, a laser company, they had
some beautiful equipment for creating very flat surfaces with
very fine finishes.

that or a properly configured milling machine with a vacuum
chuck (vise).
July 9, 2008 10:30:51 PM

just to reassert what these guys are saying , it does work lapping cpu+heatsink , for comparison the ideal thing is a car engine , when manufactured they cast the engine block on mass to produce a good level of performance , it works fine and most people are happy with that , but for the odd few people you can 'gas flow the engine and skim the head increasing performance. this is exactly the same with the cpu and heatsink , there designed to a set target which pleases 90% of customers and serves its purpose , but for the odd few nutters like ourselfs , lapping them refines out the inconsistencys that manufacturing cant do cost effectively and gives you a boost.
p.s copper doesnt tend to oxidize much indoors like it does outside due to lower humidity , also AS5 if applyed properly will act as a barrier too.
August 1, 2008 1:58:18 PM

i work in a metal mfg plant. we lap about every product we make.

i am going to lap my cpu and hs on a granite table here when i get my build.

i will make sure to take pictures and post.

OT, i think i will also use our chroming facility to mod my case, i am thinking of a nice steel case that i can turn into a cylon
August 4, 2008 4:26:27 PM

re: the flexing:
I'm sure there is some insignificant amount of flexing, but over such a small area, its probably even less than surface irregularity after lapping.

re: the Cylon case:
good luck finding a steel case without plastic on it. you might have better luck with aluminum, but, I don't know if they plate differently.

I think you'll also have a tough time finding a case with a smooth enough surface to look good, even with a thick nickel layer.

might be better off with a SS Antec p182
August 7, 2008 11:21:19 AM

Need a little help...
I've been practicing lapping heat sinks off some old PC's, and found that if I go up to 400 grain, i can then use brasso (metal polish) and a cloth and get it to mirror smoothness. Only worry is that if i do that to a CPU heat sink, there may be residue left over on the base that might damage the CPU. Any thoughts?
August 7, 2008 3:12:13 PM

Dutchjonsey said:
Only worry is that if i do that to a CPU heat sink, there may be residue left over on the base that might damage the CPU. Any thoughts?

No it will not 'hurt' the CPU, but may inhibit the heatsink's ability to transfer the heat (because of inpurities in the mating surface between the IHS and HSF. Use ArctiClean 1 & 2 after you're done with everything and your setup should work optimally.
August 7, 2008 6:18:25 PM

Thanks for the assist!
August 27, 2008 12:57:09 PM

lapping is supose to just even out surface irregulaities, so it could be done. I have a fealing that most take off to much material to do exposed heatpipes safely. If your going to try it, I'd start with the fine grit.
August 30, 2008 10:43:51 PM

I gave up on my Xiggy S1283 about 2 months ago and put this AC7 on. I just got back from Lowes and all they had (horrible selection) was 220 all purpose, 400 wetordry and 600 wetordry, I bought all 3 of those. I got home and checked the Xiggy with the razor blade and its preety bad, along the copper pipes its not THAT bad.....but across the pipes its horrible, the blade dosent even touch the pipes due to the aluminum pieces, its just not even close. Im gonna mess with it here soon, and maybe do my Q6600 afterwards. Like alot of other people mine appears to be preety concave/convex w/e. Cores 0 and 1 are 4-7c higher than 2 and 3 no matter what cooler I put on here.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 31, 2008 2:46:29 AM

Should Try someday xD
September 6, 2008 6:05:38 PM

I've lapped my CPU/HSF combo twice and both times ive only experienced a 1-3 degree diff. waste o time IMO.
October 4, 2008 12:05:33 PM

Very interesting and an enjoyable read but can I add one other variable in to the mix.

When metal, be it copper or aluminum has heat applied to it, it will expand and change shape or distort around the area that is heated. So where your IHS is concerned the edges are cooler while the area directly above the cores gets hotter and the hot area becomes larger while the cooler area stays the same. So the surface is no longer flat.

So you may have two perfectly mated surfaces when cold but once heat is added those two surfaces may not be mated so perfectly and as temps increase so does the distortion. So I would imagine that a thin IHS could bow or ripple i.e. one side goes up while the other goes down as it's heated.

No amount of lapping can compensate for this, the best you can hope for is that your IHS expands in an upward direction to mate with your HSF, cooler block or whatever you have.
Maybe this is why some HSF are convex in shape to push into the centre of the IHS to control the direction of movement and improve the contact area as it expands.

But there again I could be completely wrong. :D 

October 11, 2008 8:28:28 PM

Good points^^

Right now I'm pretty impressed!

Running 29C idle with all fans on low. Of course I have power plan on balanced so it's idling at 2.0Ghz. But I think 29C is pretty impressive for idle temps.
October 12, 2008 5:59:51 AM

distotion only occurs with different material expanding at different rates or different temperatures within the block. the CPU block should be relativly uniform in temperature. so should the mating surface of the heatsink. heat pipes generaly run clean through the hetsink mating surface, so uneven expansion shouldn't distort the base' surface. the fins can bend and flex all they want, it shouldn't matter, but might if the heatsink was poorly designed.
Even bad distortion should be minimal over a 2" square, so none of this probably means anything..
October 15, 2008 2:57:29 PM

I used to do this with all my old CPU's, P400's, etc. used a copper heatsink and arctic silver. got some really good results. Might have to try this again when i get a new cpu and watercooling soon. not sure if it's worth it at the moment tho as i have dual 2Ghz clocked to 3.4 with air-cooling anyway and low temps (very lucky)
Vinceak - older dual cores aren't really stable over 55C i believe. newer ones can go a bit higher maybe 65C. I remember someone mentioning on another forum that the Q6660 would be ok somewhere around 100C! (referring to the datasheet) Wouldn't like to try it tho, and doubt it would boot
November 10, 2008 12:22:27 AM

just wanted to know, as im newish to overclocking (my first overclocked machine)

My processor is running at 3.2g with multiplier 9 and Bus at 256,
Core voltage is set to 1.36 so if i lapped my processor and heat sink does this mean better contact between the 2 resulting in less heat and lower voltages??
December 4, 2008 4:16:24 PM

Yes, the heat should be dissipated better, resulting in lower observed temperatures. Will it be enough that you can lower voltages---hard to say for sure, but I would doubt it.
December 17, 2008 9:44:06 AM

In my experience it doesn't mean you can lower the voltage, but you can raise them with less ill effect
December 19, 2008 3:37:40 PM

do you still use thermal paste when your cpu and hs is lapped?
December 19, 2008 3:43:20 PM

Of course, but you need a lot less.
March 10, 2009 7:31:22 AM

I have noticed that everyone is using an intel cpu. Has anyone tried this with an AMD cpu. If i did this would I get roughly the same results as the rest of you guys or would i just be waisting my time?
March 26, 2009 3:45:33 PM

:hello:  Hi, i have just finshed lapping my q6600 & heat sink, and very satisfied with the result after putting it all together again with arctic silver thermal paste, and several hours of cpu burn in, checked the temperatures with realtemp, coretemp, occt and speedfan and found that the temperatures had dropped by 10c.

My setup

CPU----------------Intel core2 quad Q6600 @2.4GHz overclock to 3.6GHz :p 
Motherboard-----P5Q
Ram----------------Corsair XMS2 Dominator 2GB
Case---------------Thermaltake Armor LCS VE2000BWS
PSU-----------------Jeantech Storm 700W Sli/Cross-fire
GPU-----------------Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT

Temp Before lapping idle 37c,34c,33c,32c
Temp Before lapping, running intelburn test 82c,82c,79c,79c :fou:  :fou: 

intelburn test setting

Turn on error detection (y/n) Y
Stress levels 1
Enter number of time to run the test 6
PC passed this test several times

Temperature on start up this morning at 07.45 were 30c,25c,25c,25c, after leaving the pc idle for about an hour temperatures were 33c,30c.30c,30c

Idle temp after lapping are 33c,30c,30c,30c
Idle temp after runing the above test again were 72c,72c,68c,68c :pt1cable:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

so not a bad result i think, would like some input or comments on this from other overclockers :hello:  :hello: 
March 26, 2009 4:53:43 PM

A 10°C difference at load is probably one of the best I've seen, although it's hard to eliminate potential differences in mounting that could have helped as well. Congrats on a successful lapping.
April 25, 2009 1:31:15 AM

rav3n said:
I have noticed that everyone is using an intel cpu. Has anyone tried this with an AMD cpu. If i did this would I get roughly the same results as the rest of you guys or would i just be waisting my time?

That's what I was thinking. I've got a Phenom II, but looks like our skin would be squished on the pins if we were holding them like Intel owners do. LGA775 has little bumpy things that don't get in the way of hands, lucky Intel >.> I'm gonna get an old e63 for $35 and OC the poop outa it.
April 27, 2009 3:13:33 AM

I've lapped a couple of 478 intel chips that have a PGA like the AMD processors. As long as you're careful and clean (i.e. wash your hands) you shouldn't have any problems.
April 27, 2009 3:29:01 AM

Alright, I'm going to try and lap my P4 next weekend. Is there any chance somebody with girly fingers could avoid touching the pins entirely?
April 27, 2009 3:18:27 PM

computabug said:
Alright, I'm going to try and lap my P4 next weekend. Is there any chance somebody with girly fingers could avoid touching the pins entirely?

If you'd like to eliminate finger prints aswell, probably.
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2009 3:40:49 AM

This topic has been desticky in top of the forum by Randomizer
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2009 12:34:38 PM

^Are you going to combine the two lapping guides and sticky it or not?
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2009 12:50:36 PM

I stickied links to both articles for now to save space on the page. When I get a chance to combine them into one sticky neatly I'll do it. Same goes for the BIOS editing guides. However, if I am going to do it in the short term it will have to be in two seperate posts. You can't have long posts in the forum at the moment or they get truncated, as you would have seen with Comp's temp guide. The problem has been isolated and they should be working on getting it fixed.
!