Building a $500-$600 system need help on mobo/processor

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I'm building a surveillance system for my business, I already have the monitor, keyboard and mouse...
The computer will be running WinXP and it's not really going to be used for anything else so it probably doesn't need anything faster than an AMD Athlon X3200 ....
I wanted to spend about $150 on a processor/motherboard... the motherboard doesn't need to have onboard video since I have to purchase a seperate video card anyways...
My main concern here is if I should go with AMD or Intel..
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

heltoupee

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
AMD should be fine for what you're doing, and generally will cost you less on the low end because the processors are cheaper, and motherboards that support AMD processors are generally cheaper as well.

If you are in the US, I'd suggest you take a look at newegg.com, and look for some of their combo deals. You should easily be able to get a combo with a decent AMD chip and a motherboard with onboard video for $150. I'd start by searching for the processor, and then look at combo deals that come with it. Example:

This board
This chip

Combo price is $99.99. Not that I'm recommending either one of these, It's just the first one I found.

Edit: Whoops, you said DOESN'T need onboard video. Well, same principle still applies.

Latest posts