Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Comcast HD DVR...bug or feature?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 10:59:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Is this a bug or an annoying "feature"?? I have the dual tuner
Comcast DVR. I recorded 2 programs scheduled simultaneously one
in HD (2 one hr programs) the other in SD (1 one hr program). Both
programs came on about the same time. I came home while both
recordings were in progress (2nd one hr program in HD, 2 hr program
in other tuner). I went to watch 2nd one hr program in HD as it
was being recorded but couldn't hear a thing. I switched to the
other tuner, it too was being recorded, and "muted" was being
displayed, note it was not being displayed in the other tuner. I
pressed the mute button on the remotes for DVR and TV but "mute"
continued to be displayed and both tuners were muted. Both tuners
recording had ended and I was finally able to hear audio. I
thought that I should have been at least able to watch (and
listen) to itimes being recorded even if both tuners were being
used...right? Hope this makes sense.

Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 8:44:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I haven't figured out what the deal is with the mute on this box.
Regardless of whether it's a bug or a feature I can help you out with it.

First, here are a few codes that may be useful:
Mute 00141
Swap (i.e. change tuners) 00236
30 second skip 00173

Here's how to program these codes into a button on your remote:
1) Press the "cable" button.
2) Hold "Setup" button until "Cable" blinks twice.
3) Type in 994. "Cable" should blink twice.
4) Press "Setup".
5) Type in 5 digit code from above.
6) Press button to which you wish to map the functionality.

If you program the "mute" code I showed into the mute button you will be
able to turn the mute off whenever the set turns it on for some reason. If
you didn't get a remote that has the "Swap" button on it then you may want
to program the TV/VCR button with that functionality. Also, the 30 second
skip is awesome for skipping over commercials. I programmed it into the
Zoom button on my remote.

Brad



<_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1102651148.442269.114600@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Is this a bug or an annoying "feature"?? I have the dual tuner
> Comcast DVR. I recorded 2 programs scheduled simultaneously one
> in HD (2 one hr programs) the other in SD (1 one hr program). Both
> programs came on about the same time. I came home while both
> recordings were in progress (2nd one hr program in HD, 2 hr program
> in other tuner). I went to watch 2nd one hr program in HD as it
> was being recorded but couldn't hear a thing. I switched to the
> other tuner, it too was being recorded, and "muted" was being
> displayed, note it was not being displayed in the other tuner. I
> pressed the mute button on the remotes for DVR and TV but "mute"
> continued to be displayed and both tuners were muted. Both tuners
> recording had ended and I was finally able to hear audio. I
> thought that I should have been at least able to watch (and
> listen) to itimes being recorded even if both tuners were being
> used...right? Hope this makes sense.
>
> Cygnus
> The Bringer of Balance
>
December 10, 2004 11:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

There is some speculation that the "mute" function is to protect people
who might turn their DVR off but leave their audio system on from being
blasted when a show comes on at off-hours. Seems stupid to me.

Anyway, sure fire work-around is to simply leave the 6412 box on all the
time. That's what I do.

Rich


Brad Griffis wrote:
> I haven't figured out what the deal is with the mute on this box.
> Regardless of whether it's a bug or a feature I can help you out with it.
>
> First, here are a few codes that may be useful:
> Mute 00141
> Swap (i.e. change tuners) 00236
> 30 second skip 00173
>
> Here's how to program these codes into a button on your remote:
> 1) Press the "cable" button.
> 2) Hold "Setup" button until "Cable" blinks twice.
> 3) Type in 994. "Cable" should blink twice.
> 4) Press "Setup".
> 5) Type in 5 digit code from above.
> 6) Press button to which you wish to map the functionality.
>
> If you program the "mute" code I showed into the mute button you will be
> able to turn the mute off whenever the set turns it on for some reason. If
> you didn't get a remote that has the "Swap" button on it then you may want
> to program the TV/VCR button with that functionality. Also, the 30 second
> skip is awesome for skipping over commercials. I programmed it into the
> Zoom button on my remote.
>
> Brad
>
>
>
> <_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:1102651148.442269.114600@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Is this a bug or an annoying "feature"?? I have the dual tuner
>>Comcast DVR. I recorded 2 programs scheduled simultaneously one
>>in HD (2 one hr programs) the other in SD (1 one hr program). Both
>>programs came on about the same time. I came home while both
>>recordings were in progress (2nd one hr program in HD, 2 hr program
>>in other tuner). I went to watch 2nd one hr program in HD as it
>>was being recorded but couldn't hear a thing. I switched to the
>>other tuner, it too was being recorded, and "muted" was being
>>displayed, note it was not being displayed in the other tuner. I
>>pressed the mute button on the remotes for DVR and TV but "mute"
>>continued to be displayed and both tuners were muted. Both tuners
>>recording had ended and I was finally able to hear audio. I
>>thought that I should have been at least able to watch (and
>>listen) to itimes being recorded even if both tuners were being
>>used...right? Hope this makes sense.
>>
>>Cygnus
>>The Bringer of Balance
>>
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 9:42:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Yes I turn off the DVR when I am not watching TV since I don't
want it to constantly record TV on each tuner. I don't want my
electric bill to be real high ;-)

Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 9:49:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Cool thx for the codes. I will definitely use the 30 sec one, since
I would rather using that instead of the fast forward. The remote
I have does not have the "swap" button, but it is set to TV/VCR.
Is there a web site that lists other codes that can be used?
Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 2:28:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Wow Brad - Thanks!!

I actually thought my HD tuner was defective as from time to time it would
come on with no sound. Since the mute button doesn't work as delivered I
had no idea it was muted. I went through a frustrating ritual of unplugging
the box to reset it, which usual (not always) restored the sound. But it
reset all the on-line guide info and was also hard to do since the access to
the electrical was behind lots of electronics. I'd been meaning to call
Comcast when I read your message - re-programmed mute button did the trick!!

"Brad Griffis" <bradgriffis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ZIaud.43536$Qv5.28530@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com...
>I haven't figured out what the deal is with the mute on this box.
>Regardless of whether it's a bug or a feature I can help you out with it.
>
> First, here are a few codes that may be useful:
> Mute 00141
> Swap (i.e. change tuners) 00236
> 30 second skip 00173
>
> Here's how to program these codes into a button on your remote:
> 1) Press the "cable" button.
> 2) Hold "Setup" button until "Cable" blinks twice.
> 3) Type in 994. "Cable" should blink twice.
> 4) Press "Setup".
> 5) Type in 5 digit code from above.
> 6) Press button to which you wish to map the functionality.
>
> If you program the "mute" code I showed into the mute button you will be
> able to turn the mute off whenever the set turns it on for some reason.
> If you didn't get a remote that has the "Swap" button on it then you may
> want to program the TV/VCR button with that functionality. Also, the 30
> second skip is awesome for skipping over commercials. I programmed it
> into the Zoom button on my remote.
>
> Brad
>
>
>
> <_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:1102651148.442269.114600@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Is this a bug or an annoying "feature"?? I have the dual tuner
>> Comcast DVR. I recorded 2 programs scheduled simultaneously one
>> in HD (2 one hr programs) the other in SD (1 one hr program). Both
>> programs came on about the same time. I came home while both
>> recordings were in progress (2nd one hr program in HD, 2 hr program
>> in other tuner). I went to watch 2nd one hr program in HD as it
>> was being recorded but couldn't hear a thing. I switched to the
>> other tuner, it too was being recorded, and "muted" was being
>> displayed, note it was not being displayed in the other tuner. I
>> pressed the mute button on the remotes for DVR and TV but "mute"
>> continued to be displayed and both tuners were muted. Both tuners
>> recording had ended and I was finally able to hear audio. I
>> thought that I should have been at least able to watch (and
>> listen) to itimes being recorded even if both tuners were being
>> used...right? Hope this makes sense.
>>
>> Cygnus
>> The Bringer of Balance
>>
>
>
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:49:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

So there is no code for HD Zoom?

Cygnus
The Bringer of Balance
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:46:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

You can find a list of commands for this box and any other box with setup
code 0476 here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?cbl_0476

Unfortunately I don't think there are any more "cool" ones like the 30
second skip.

Brad

<_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1102819762.915680.3540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Cool thx for the codes. I will definitely use the 30 sec one, since
> I would rather using that instead of the fast forward. The remote
> I have does not have the "swap" button, but it is set to TV/VCR.
> Is there a web site that lists other codes that can be used?
> Cygnus
> The Bringer of Balance
>
December 24, 2004 9:52:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

You guys rock. Thanks for the tips on the remote programming.
I just posted a question, about this Motorola DVR box. I am wondering
if it's possible to access the hard drive using the Ethernet port. I
am thinking maybe I could view these files on my PC, or burn them to
DVD for long term storage. I plugged the DVR into my router, but don't
see it in my network places. Any ideas?


On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 03:46:55 GMT, "Brad Griffis"
<bradgriffis@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You can find a list of commands for this box and any other box with setup
>code 0476 here:
>
>http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?cbl_0476
>
>Unfortunately I don't think there are any more "cool" ones like the 30
>second skip.
>
>Brad
>
><_cygnusx-1_@excite.com> wrote in message
>news:1102819762.915680.3540@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Cool thx for the codes. I will definitely use the 30 sec one, since
>> I would rather using that instead of the fast forward. The remote
>> I have does not have the "swap" button, but it is set to TV/VCR.
>> Is there a web site that lists other codes that can be used?
>> Cygnus
>> The Bringer of Balance
>>
>
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 5:43:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Anyone have a fix for this? When I hit the TV button on my remote, and
then use the up and down channel buttons, it changes the channel on the
box, not on my TV. I would like to be able to change the TV channels
with my remote so that I could switch back and forth between the AV
channels for my dvd player, etc.

Thanks.
!