question regarding chipset fan

b-man

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
My fan on the motherboard's nforce4 ultra chipset started to make quite noise so I decided to take it off and clean the dust from it. After I took it off I've figured out that that grease on chip and on the heatsink was like a chewing gum and I barely could clean it fully. So I decided to use some alcohol. There stands aethanolum dilutum on the bottle and it's not 100% alcohol I guess.
1. Could it harm the chip?
2. I put just tiny layer of grease (Titan silver or however is it called...) on the chip and put that fan back, is it enough?

samsayit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I used to have an Asus A8N-SLI mobo also with the nForce4 chipset and HURRA, the chipset fan started making noise after just a week or so.
I simply replaced the fan with a Zalman ZM-NB47J heatsink - it was easy to install, had no problems, and most important it is silent!

b-man

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2005
I used to have an Asus A8N-SLI mobo also with the nForce4 chipset and HURRA, the chipset fan started making noise after just a week or so.
I simply replaced the fan with a Zalman ZM-NB47J heatsink - it was easy to install, had no problems, and most important it is silent!

It's this motherboard: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetailPhoto.aspx?DetailID=493&LanID=0
I'm not sure if any of those northbridge heatsinks would fit on it since there're no classic holes for heatsink/fan than just those quoits for those small hooks which are on fan's original heatsink. Maybe it would be possible to take those hooks off the original fan and set them on Zallman heatsink? You know what I'm talking about when I mention those hooks and quoits?

anticupidon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
i had the same problem but in my case the fan made a verrry annoying sound
so i took off the fan cleaned the chip with medicinal alcohol and i replaced the fan with the ZalmanZM-NBF47 heatsink
must change the bios setting regarding chipset fan warning.\disable
as in your case the previous termal grease looked like a chewing gum ..with patience i cleaned the chip with cosmetic cotton pads and alcohol.but i recomend you cofee filters cuz ...fiber free...
do not worry about termal paste ...less is better...i apllied a small droplet of thermal grease and i spreaded it with a razor blade then applied the heatsink and...cool'n'silent!