Internal domain name same as external domain name

John7110

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
I set up a Windows 2003 AD DNS Server which is also running exchange 2003. The IP address is 192.168.0.232. I gave the name of the internal Domain badmc.org. I am using DSL with no public IP.The company has an isp who stores their mail with the same name badmc.org. The external mail server is mail.badmc.org at Public IP 66.176.232.98. I want users on the inside to send mail via the exchange server using outlook and recieve mail via POP3 (mail.badmc.org)from the ISP in outlook as well. I have my smtp connector setup in exchange so sending email out is fine. When I want to receive mail via my POP3 account from mail.badmc.org (66.176.232.98) I am getting an error saying that the server was found but did not respond. I know this is a DNS problem. I already have fowarders setup on my Internal DNS server to point to my internet service provider. My internal dns clients are pointing to my internal dns server (can access the internet). On my dns server I added an A record called mail assigned to 66.176.232.98. I need to know what I'm doing wrong

trading_jacks

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
You created a www record pointing to your hosting provider?

But you tried to create one for a subdomain mail and it won't work?

Is that correct?

Also have you checked into changing your internal domain name to corp.badmc.org? That is the MS recommended way of doing things. 2003 can apparently handle this change, but I have no experience with it.

TRENDING THREADS