Sign in with
Your question

Urgent help needed. 80+gigs missing.

Last response: in Windows XP
May 16, 2007 11:12:10 AM

Dear all,

Can anyone please help me? I was reorganising my hard drive and decided to restart all my bitccomet downloads so I could put them in a different place. So I did a windows search for all *.bc! files and deleted them from there. The files were deleted and I can't see them anywhere but my hard drive space stayed absolutely the same. I tried everything, deleting temp files, removing system restore, defragmenting, scandisk, searching for them in system and hidden folders, everything. What else can I do? I tried again with a different program and they didn't show up at all. Can somebody help me please?

Regards
Adrian
May 16, 2007 5:32:39 PM

You didn't mention you emptied the trash can, did you?
The torrent downloader I use makes temp files when downloading. The actual files dont show up until after the download is complete.
I also have it set to allocate the space before downloading so I dont run out of space. Only have 10gb on the old computer.
May 16, 2007 7:18:29 PM

I did, I tried everything, wiping, everything. nothing works as it should. I got a 170gig hard disk instead of 250. :) 
Related resources
May 16, 2007 7:29:21 PM

I did, I tried everything, wiping, everything. nothing works as it should. I got a 170gig hard disk instead of 250. :) 
May 16, 2007 7:34:19 PM

May 16, 2007 10:31:05 PM

is your system restore on?

easy recovery pro should be able to get your files for you ;) 
May 17, 2007 5:03:16 AM

I tried turning my system restore off to remove all the files to no avail. What is this program you speak of? Is there any way I can do this without buying any programs? I just want my space back not my files. But, really, thanks for your suggestions, all of you.
May 17, 2007 6:07:10 AM

if you don't want your files and just the space then forget easy recovery pro.

do you use ccleaner?

if not download it and run it. also make sure for now that your system restore is disabled once we have figured out what is going and fixed it then you can enable it if you want ;) 
May 17, 2007 7:38:15 AM

I run ccleaner also. However, now that I'm thinking about I'm not sure whether System restore was on or off when I ran it. Anyway, doesn't System restore have a limit on the amount of space it occupies? We're not talking about a few k here. I'll give it a try anyway just in case and I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks very much for your help eh. :wink:
May 17, 2007 8:08:09 AM

I tried turning system restore off and running ccleaner, nothing.

I tried running a scan with easy recovery pro, nothing showed up either, this is very strange.
May 17, 2007 6:58:33 PM

right click my computer>manage>(left pan)disk management>here give us a screenshot of your disk management window with the drive in it and lets see what it looks like ;) 
May 17, 2007 8:25:49 PM

Capacity 232.88gb
Free space 75.77gb
%free 32%
Fault tolerance no
overhead 0%

that's all the info I have. 2nite I think i'm going to leave do a full wipe of the free space maybe that'll free up something.

I was looking in another forum, a guy said he made a program that kept writing a 2gb file and deleting it continuously. After 20hours there was no space on the disk left even though no files, hidden or otherwise, were showing. What do you think of this?
May 17, 2007 9:21:38 PM

thats not happening to you, any chance you can give us a screenshot of that window?
May 17, 2007 10:01:31 PM

i can't post an image cause I don't have 100 posts. But that was all the info I had on screen.
May 17, 2007 10:37:31 PM

that is the one thx, all looks good there.

something just gave me an idea.

what torrent client do you use?
May 18, 2007 5:49:51 AM

I was using bitcomet but it kept crashing on me, so I switched to utorrent, I found it much better. Why?
May 18, 2007 6:35:00 AM

which client where you using when you deleted your torrent files?
May 18, 2007 7:23:59 AM

I was using bitcomet at the time, but I downloaded them using windows explorer. I did a search for all *.bc! files, selected them all and pressed delete.
May 18, 2007 7:27:00 AM

search your pc for all your torrent folders and then check their size.

if you kept any of the torrent files then they will act as if you have teh whole file on your drive. check yoru folders and see which is holding the missing chunk of space.
May 18, 2007 9:35:31 AM

i deleted all folders containing those bc files, and searched all drive including hidden and system folders, nothing came up. this is really really strange. yesterday i wiped the free space now i'm going to give it another defrag and see what happens.
May 18, 2007 5:31:56 PM

boss for some reason you seem to be stuck on bc files, which I imagine are bitcomet files.

don't care too much about the extension, as a matter of fact .torrent files are the ones that will take the room.

if you noticed I did not say anything about bc files (since you already mentioned it like 4 times), forget bc files and check all of your bittorrent folders specially utorrent, check the size of all of your p2p folders you should find one of them being the size or larger then the chunck we are looking for ;) 
May 18, 2007 7:00:50 PM

the size of my torrent directory is just 4.9megs for 165 files
May 18, 2007 10:10:46 PM

ok right click your "program files" and "document and settings" and see what their sizes are post here
May 19, 2007 5:38:09 AM

This is getting really weird now, I installed command and conquer 3 and my free space increased. This is totally crazy. My program iels is 18gig which considering the amount of games i have is ok. I don't know I give up. But I really appreciate all your help and concern, it was just exactly what gives this type of community such a good name. You like troubleshooting though don't you? :p 
May 19, 2007 5:44:32 AM

To tell you the truth, considering the amount of torrents and games which I installed these 2days, 90gigs seems about right now. I still am really curious as to what could have cause this type of anomaly. It's not every day that the more programs you install the more your free space increases. :p 

I scanned the disk using Easy Recovery pro, I got 69gigs in program files and 55 gigs in the temp directory which I use for keeping miscellanous downloads in. After looking through the sub-directories I think everything's looking ok now at last.
May 19, 2007 6:26:35 AM

glad to see its all ok at the end ;) 
May 19, 2007 7:02:20 AM

yes m8, thanks a lot for everything, I really appreciate. If u want to add me to your msn contacts mine is schembriadrian@hotmail.com. It'd be nice to have a chat sometime.
May 19, 2007 6:58:59 PM

if you need to get a hold of me you can do so by going to my forums http://www.kltforums.com or just click on kltforums on my sig.

I don't use msn, its the best and easiest way to get hacked, also edit your email addy otherwise the spam bots will pick it up and you will be spammed like crazy ;) 

its been a pleasure good luck and if you ever have any questions its always a pleasure to talk to you ;) 
May 20, 2007 12:11:49 PM

Quote:
if you need to get a hold of me you can do so by going to my forums http://www.kltforums.com or just click on kltforums on my sig.

I don't use msn, its the best and easiest way to get hacked, also edit your email addy otherwise the spam bots will pick it up and you will be spammed like crazy ;) 

its been a pleasure good luck and if you ever have any questions its always a pleasure to talk to you ;) 

that's not my official email address don't worry m8 :)  if u want to email me it's schembriadrian@onvol.net. Much easier I think no? :p 
May 20, 2007 7:37:35 PM

:D  :D  :D 
!