Urgent help needed. 80+gigs missing.

mannwhite

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Dear all,

Can anyone please help me? I was reorganising my hard drive and decided to restart all my bitccomet downloads so I could put them in a different place. So I did a windows search for all *.bc! files and deleted them from there. The files were deleted and I can't see them anywhere but my hard drive space stayed absolutely the same. I tried everything, deleting temp files, removing system restore, defragmenting, scandisk, searching for them in system and hidden folders, everything. What else can I do? I tried again with a different program and they didn't show up at all. Can somebody help me please?

Regards
Adrian

sturm

Splendid
You didn't mention you emptied the trash can, did you?
The torrent downloader I use makes temp files when downloading. The actual files dont show up until after the download is complete.
I also have it set to allocate the space before downloading so I dont run out of space. Only have 10gb on the old computer.

mannwhite

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I tried turning my system restore off to remove all the files to no avail. What is this program you speak of? Is there any way I can do this without buying any programs? I just want my space back not my files. But, really, thanks for your suggestions, all of you.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
if you don't want your files and just the space then forget easy recovery pro.

do you use ccleaner?

if not download it and run it. also make sure for now that your system restore is disabled once we have figured out what is going and fixed it then you can enable it if you want ;)

mannwhite

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I run ccleaner also. However, now that I'm thinking about I'm not sure whether System restore was on or off when I ran it. Anyway, doesn't System restore have a limit on the amount of space it occupies? We're not talking about a few k here. I'll give it a try anyway just in case and I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks very much for your help eh. :wink:

mannwhite

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I tried turning system restore off and running ccleaner, nothing.

I tried running a scan with easy recovery pro, nothing showed up either, this is very strange.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
right click my computer>manage>(left pan)disk management>here give us a screenshot of your disk management window with the drive in it and lets see what it looks like ;)

mannwhite

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Capacity 232.88gb
Free space 75.77gb
%free 32%
Fault tolerance no
overhead 0%

that's all the info I have. 2nite I think i'm going to leave do a full wipe of the free space maybe that'll free up something.

I was looking in another forum, a guy said he made a program that kept writing a 2gb file and deleting it continuously. After 20hours there was no space on the disk left even though no files, hidden or otherwise, were showing. What do you think of this?

mannwhite

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
URL=http://imageshack.us]
screenymr0.jpg
[/URL]

this should be it then, thanks.

mannwhite

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I was using bitcomet at the time, but I downloaded them using windows explorer. I did a search for all *.bc! files, selected them all and pressed delete.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
search your pc for all your torrent folders and then check their size.

if you kept any of the torrent files then they will act as if you have teh whole file on your drive. check yoru folders and see which is holding the missing chunk of space.

mannwhite

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
i deleted all folders containing those bc files, and searched all drive including hidden and system folders, nothing came up. this is really really strange. yesterday i wiped the free space now i'm going to give it another defrag and see what happens.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
boss for some reason you seem to be stuck on bc files, which I imagine are bitcomet files.

don't care too much about the extension, as a matter of fact .torrent files are the ones that will take the room.

if you noticed I did not say anything about bc files (since you already mentioned it like 4 times), forget bc files and check all of your bittorrent folders specially utorrent, check the size of all of your p2p folders you should find one of them being the size or larger then the chunck we are looking for ;)