I just bought my first HDTV have a quick question

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 10, 2004 2:05:54 PM

Hello,

I just bought a Sony 42" LCD Projection.

When I plugged it into my normal cable it detected a few channels, Comcast
wont be out for a few weeks to upgrade the equipment to Digital / HD.

I had normal analog service.. or so I thought?? when I plugged it in the TV
detected a bunch of new channels, like music channels etc...

I get 3 HD Channels in the 100's

WBBM-TV (2) CBS
WMAQ-TV (5) NBC
WTTW-TV (11) PBS

My 1st question is: How come channel 11 looks so much better than the other
two? all 3 show up as being 1080i?

My 2nd Question is: Shouldn't I be getting more channels? I was under the
impression from the previous post that certain channels can not be scramble
and I should get without their HD packages?

My 3rd Question is: As far as OTA, does it require a special antenna to pick
up HD? My building has a community antenna and the lines ran, can I plug in
and pick up hd channels?

Thanks!
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 2:05:55 PM

"Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just bought a Sony 42" LCD Projection.
>
> When I plugged it into my normal cable it detected a few channels, Comcast
> wont be out for a few weeks to upgrade the equipment to Digital / HD.
>
> I had normal analog service.. or so I thought?? when I plugged it in the
> TV
> detected a bunch of new channels, like music channels etc...
>
> I get 3 HD Channels in the 100's
>
> WBBM-TV (2) CBS
> WMAQ-TV (5) NBC
> WTTW-TV (11) PBS
>
> My 1st question is: How come channel 11 looks so much better than the
> other
> two? all 3 show up as being 1080i?

=============================
How are you getting them without the correct cable box or an antenna?
==============================

> My 2nd Question is: Shouldn't I be getting more channels? I was under the
> impression from the previous post that certain channels can not be
> scramble
> and I should get without their HD packages?
>
> My 3rd Question is: As far as OTA, does it require a special antenna to
> pick
> up HD? My building has a community antenna and the lines ran, can I plug
> in
> and pick up hd channels?

======================
If your set has an integrated OTA ATSC tuner, you should get HD just fine
via the antenna.
========================

> Thanks!

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 2:51:51 PM

Mike: I live in Northwest Indiana 30 miles from downtown Chicago. I
also just bought the Sony 42" LCD TV 2 weeks ago. I had the same
question about why channel 11 looked so much better than 2,5,7,9. It's
because every show that 11 shows is actually an HD 16:9 program;
whereas, only certain shows on the other channels are actual HD
programs despite the Sony display saying that it is being broadcast it
1080i HD. For instance if you were to watch ER or Leno on channel 5
last night it would have looked fabulous...just as good if not better
than 11. However, if you were to watch Conan Obrien right after Leno
the quality would have been substantially worse.
December 10, 2004 5:36:18 PM

Cool, I live about 30Miles west of Chciago (Downers Grove), Have you tried
using an antena to pick up HD? I would imagine we are in a good market for
antenas... Huge population and flat land... and the tallest building in the
country to broadcast from :)

"jeff96gt" <Jeff96GT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mike: I live in Northwest Indiana 30 miles from downtown Chicago. I
> also just bought the Sony 42" LCD TV 2 weeks ago. I had the same
> question about why channel 11 looked so much better than 2,5,7,9. It's
> because every show that 11 shows is actually an HD 16:9 program;
> whereas, only certain shows on the other channels are actual HD
> programs despite the Sony display saying that it is being broadcast it
> 1080i HD. For instance if you were to watch ER or Leno on channel 5
> last night it would have looked fabulous...just as good if not better
> than 11. However, if you were to watch Conan Obrien right after Leno
> the quality would have been substantially worse.

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 8:27:51 PM

"Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just bought a Sony 42" LCD Projection.
>
> When I plugged it into my normal cable it detected a few channels, Comcast
> wont be out for a few weeks to upgrade the equipment to Digital / HD.
>
> I had normal analog service.. or so I thought?? when I plugged it in the
> TV
> detected a bunch of new channels, like music channels etc...
>
> I get 3 HD Channels in the 100's
>
> WBBM-TV (2) CBS
> WMAQ-TV (5) NBC
> WTTW-TV (11) PBS
>
> My 1st question is: How come channel 11 looks so much better than the
> other
> two? all 3 show up as being 1080i?

The Comcast cable brings in everything, NTSC modulated analog, QAM-64
modulated digital channels/music, and QAM-256 modulated digital HD channels.
They have always been there, it's just that you now have a TV that can tune
and make sense of them.

just because the transmission is 1080i doesn't mean the content is high def.
wait for a show that you know is carried in HD and see

> My 2nd Question is: Shouldn't I be getting more channels? I was under the
> impression from the previous post that certain channels can not be
> scramble
> and I should get without their HD packages?

Your tuner can only get those digital/HD channels which are not encrypted.
The Comcast box will get them all - at least all you pay for.

> My 3rd Question is: As far as OTA, does it require a special antenna to
> pick
> up HD? My building has a community antenna and the lines ran, can I plug
> in
> and pick up hd channels?
>
> Thanks!

Depends on how well your antenna carries UHF, where most HD signals live.
Maybe yes, maybe no.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 10:46:52 PM

"Mike Nestroy" <mnestroy@yahoo.com> wrote (in part):

>I just bought a Sony 42" LCD Projection.
>
>When I plugged it into my normal cable it detected a few channels, Comcast
>wont be out for a few weeks to upgrade the equipment to Digital / HD.
>
>I had normal analog service.. or so I thought?? when I plugged it in the TV
>detected a bunch of new channels, like music channels etc...
>
>I get 3 HD Channels in the 100's
>
> WBBM-TV (2) CBS
> WMAQ-TV (5) NBC
> WTTW-TV (11) PBS
>
>My 1st question is: How come channel 11 looks so much better than the other
>two? all 3 show up as being 1080i?

If channel 11 is a turnaround of the PBS HD feed, then everything will
at least fill a 16:9 screen, and about half of it will be true HD.
Tthe listings on TitanTV will tell you which shows are and aren't, and
of course you should be able to tell just by looking. Most of what
you see on the other channels is not HD, just NTSC bumped up to HD
scan rates. Be sure you're comparing true HD programs on the
different channels.

>My 2nd Question is: Shouldn't I be getting more channels? I was under the
>impression from the previous post that certain channels can not be scramble
>and I should get without their HD packages?

You should get whatever broadcast stations your local cable carries in
digital. Anything else is up to the cable company, but don't expect
much. All I get with Basic cable (TWC in my case) and a tuner that
does non-scrambled QAM are some of the locals (including one that
isn't broadcasting yet) and a couple of advertising and tutorial
channels.

>My 3rd Question is: As far as OTA, does it require a special antenna to pick
>up HD? My building has a community antenna and the lines ran, can I plug in
>and pick up hd channels?

No special antenna. It should work if your digitals are in roughly
the same direction(s) and frequency bands as your analogs. You can
find out what's available in your area at www.antennaweb.org (that
should be in a required-reading FAQ somewhere). But why are you
asking us? Plug it in and try it!

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
!