excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
I've heard that it's possible to make a bootable CD/DVD/USB drive of Windows XP. Does anyone have any info or links on how to go about this? Thanks.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
you can't make a bootable XP drive, you can make a drive to help you boot up your existing XP on your existing drive ;) bartpe will help you with that, the link for part is provided already ;)

excitron

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
Thanks for your replies. I did run across this in my travels, not sure if this contradicts the "you can't make a bootable XP drive" notion:
http://tinyurl.com/2zr7gm

I would prefer it from a CD, 'cause some systems can't boot from USB devices, but, oh well...

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
not at all acronis, does run XP windows on it ;)

acronis true image can copy your windows to a external drive but I think I can speak for all of us here when I say we would love to see you run XP off of your CD, DVD ;)

you can't run an OS on CD DVD this time ;)

lol not to mention that you found that link on this forum from one of my own posts
laughuv1.gif

so ya we all would love to be able to carry an OS in a CD or DVD but not yet, I think flash drives are gonna allow us to do that ;)

I have acronis true image and recommend it highly for backing up your os

you can't run an OS on CD DVD this time

Obviously you haven't heard of Linux live CDs.

:p

Also, it should be possible with XP... though I have no idea how you would go about it. I know the ERD Commander included with Winternal's System Admin Pack runs a stripped-down version of XP off a bootable CD... you can even browse the net with Firefox...