Sign in with
Your question

First Custom Gaming PC Build - Advice Welcome...

Tags:
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
March 1, 2012 6:18:24 PM

I'm going to buy parts and build a custom gaming rig on my own for the first time in about week, I will be using it for MW3 + BF3 MP and some fooling around with Skyrim and whatever else catches my fancy, maybe watching a series/movie or two as well. I would like to hear some opinions about my selected specs, and possible suggestions or foreseen performance bottle necks...

System Specs
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth P67 B3
GPU: MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II OC
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Vengeance DDR3 1866 MHz 2x4=8GB
SSD: Corsair Force 3 60G SATA3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 160GB
ODD: LITEON 12x Blu-ray combo
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master V6 GT
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W
CASE: CM Storm Scout

Peripherals
LCD: Philips 273E3LH 27" LED LCD with Ergotron widescreen desk stand
KEYBOARD: Logitech G110
MOUSE: Logitech G9x
HEADSET: Logitech G330
MOUSE PAD: CM Storm CSX Battle Pad DP

I'm also planning on swapping the stock translucent red LED 120mm rear exhaust fan with a Cooler Master Turbine Master 0.8 120mm fan and mounting the red LED fan on the lower side panel with a dust filter to add to GPU cooling. I don't require more hard drive space seeing as only my most essential games and applications will go on the SSD, and whatever I download will go on the normal drive and a existing Samsung 1.5TB USB 2.0 external. I will also get an Asus N13 802.11n USB wireless adapter to tap into my broadband router, but if I get bad lag on MP I will opt for the good old Gigabit LAN cable.

Not bad for a medium budget build in my opinion, your thoughts? :) 
March 1, 2012 7:15:45 PM

System Specs
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz ...suggest i7 if you can work it into your budget.
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 ...your choice, i've had good luck with asus. i have a rog rampage III.
GPU: MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II OC ...your choice, i prefer nvidia myself.
RAM: Corsair XMS3 Vengeance DDR3 1866 MHz 2x4=8GB ...your choice, i use triple channel 3x2gb sticks in my own system.
SSD: Corsair Force 3 60G SATA3 ...suggest 80gb ssd. trust me once you install the os (win 7) you will wish you had the 80!
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 160GB ...your choice. if its any more than $80 though realize you can get a 1tb for $100.
ODD: LITEON 12x Blu-ray combo ...your choice
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master V6 GT ...not required. use the money for an upgrade to i7.
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W ...you might want to look at asus psus.
CASE: CM Storm Scout ...not familiar with that one, just make sure it has at least 3 120mm fan holes. preferably 2 front if possible.

Peripherals
LCD: Philips 273E3LH 27" LED LCD with Ergotron widescreen desk stand ... not familiar with that model. personally i always suggest nothing less than an e-ips screen. or if you must go tn panel to make it under 24" so you dont get the dreadful color-shifting around the edges.
KEYBOARD: Logitech G110 ...it works. i prefer mechanical boards myself but logitech has been good to me in the past.
MOUSE: Logitech G9x ...logitech is always a good choice for mice.
HEADSET: Logitech G330 ...your choie here but personally i'd get a better set of headphones and a seperate mic.
MOUSE PAD: CM Storm CSX Battle Pad DP ...complete waste of money. a $5 black mousepad from staples will roll with the best of them and you can use the savings for a new game.

suggest:

double check compatabilities (cpu sockets, ram type, etc)
double check power connections (remember extra connectors for vidcard and propper mb plug)
do a psu calculation to be sure. 700 sounds more than adequate though (my system uses only 420-430 at most)
invest in some cable ties and other case organizing parts.

!