Best HDTV PC card

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 10, 2004 3:18:37 PM

Been a long time lurker.

I have a 50 7uy and Scientific Atlanta 3250HD STB.
It has both component and DVI output but can use
only one at a time.

Is there a card out there that will allow me to record
the DVI output to a PC harddrive and play the component output
at the same time??

I don't want a TIVO!!

Just something that will allow me to archive an occasional
HD program to the HDD for later play back.
I don't need all that time shift stuff either.

Does someone know of one?

More about : hdtv card

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 10:29:31 PM

At this time, you can't record uncompressed HD to a PC. You can keep
looking, but you won't find what you want. The data rate is just too high.

See if you can get a STB with firwire output, your cable company may have a
different model.

--Dan

"Theo" <tasir@sfs-nobs-arch.com> wrote in message
> Been a long time lurker.
>
> I have a 50 7uy and Scientific Atlanta 3250HD STB.
> It has both component and DVI output but can use
> only one at a time.
>
> Is there a card out there that will allow me to record
> the DVI output to a PC harddrive and play the component output
> at the same time??
>
> I don't want a TIVO!!
>
> Just something that will allow me to archive an occasional
> HD program to the HDD for later play back.
> I don't need all that time shift stuff either.
>
> Does someone know of one?

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 10:29:32 PM

Thanx for the quick reply.

Hmm! I was under the impression that the
DVI stream is compressed mpeg2 data.

Saving data in mpeg would be fine.

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> At this time, you can't record uncompressed HD to a PC. You can keep
> looking, but you won't find what you want. The data rate is just too
high.

> See if you can get a STB with firwire output, your cable company may have
> different model.
>
> --Dan
>
> "Theo" <tasir@sfs-nobs-arch.com> wrote in message
> > Been a long time lurker.
> >
> > I have a 50 7uy and Scientific Atlanta 3250HD STB.
> > It has both component and DVI output but can use
> > only one at a time.
> >
> > Is there a card out there that will allow me to record
> > the DVI output to a PC harddrive and play the component output
> > at the same time??
> >
> > I don't want a TIVO!!
> >
> > Just something that will allow me to archive an occasional
> > HD program to the HDD for later play back.
> > I don't need all that time shift stuff either.
> >
> > Does someone know of one?

Related resources
December 11, 2004 6:04:38 PM

> Thanx for the quick reply.
>
> Hmm! I was under the impression that the
> DVI stream is compressed mpeg2 data.
>
> Saving data in mpeg would be fine.
>

> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> At this time, you can't record uncompressed HD to a PC. You can keep
>> looking, but you won't find what you want. The data rate is just too
> high.
>>
>> See if you can get a STB with firwire output, your cable company may have
>> different model.
>>
>> --Dan
>>
>> "Theo" <tasir@sfs-nobs-arch.com> wrote in message
>> > Been a long time lurker.
>> >
>> > I have a 50 7uy and Scientific Atlanta 3250HD STB.
>> > It has both component and DVI output but can use
>> > only one at a time.
>> >
>> > Is there a card out there that will allow me to record
>> > the DVI output to a PC harddrive and play the component output
>> > at the same time??
>> > Just something that will allow me to archive an occasional
>> > HD program to the HDD for later play back.
>> > I don't need all that time shift stuff either.
>> > Does someone know of one?

Have you been to the HDTV recorders section at AVS Forum.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 5:41:55 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:29:31 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>At this time, you can't record uncompressed HD to a PC. You can keep
>looking, but you won't find what you want. The data rate is just too high.

And for all these years I've been fooling myself that the myhd 100
hads been recording HD to disk... go figure
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 11:47:03 PM

>> At this time, you can't record uncompressed HD to a PC. You can keep
>> looking, but you won't find what you want. The data rate is just too
high.

> And for all these years I've been fooling myself that the myhd 100
> hads been recording HD to disk... go figure

Digital broadcasts are based on *compressed A/V* bitstreams, usually
using MPEG-2. A HD program will run at about 19Mbits/sec and a SD
program will run at about 4.5Mbits/sec. The $239 MyHD card and many
other DTV cards for PCs simply snag this bitstream and route it to disk,
and it is trivial. One hour of HD (in compressed form) consumes about
9GBytes.

Once the compressed A/V is uncompressed, it inflates to about 1.4Gbits/sec
for HD and 200-400 Mbits/sec for SD and ED. DVI, HDMI and HD-SDI
are about the only digital connectors that can handle the data-rate, and
trying
to capture one hour (in uncompressed form) consumes about 640GBytes. For
about $30K, you can configure a PC to capture such stuff, with enough disk
to hold an hour or two.

Thomas Gilg
!