To all the people having problems with vista... I am not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorx

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004
OK, I followed these threads on multiple sites on how bad and incompatible Vista is. I am running Vista Ultimate and the only issue i have had was a lockup due to IRQ. I moved my tv card to a different slot and no more lockups. Running the latest nvidia drivers (158.24?). UAC turned off and firewall turned off.

As for games... Has anyone even attempted to load and run them? I am no genius, however 200GB of games have been installed with another 50GB to go and everything loads and runs great and fast. The only problems were 1 game would not load and another the installer would not launch (but i got around the problem). Vista in fact runs 2 games that would not run in XP. Now i still have more to load, but really people.... Sounds like noone has even tried.

Some examples that i have installed:

Starcraft
Prey
Pariah
Diablo
Mame
Sims
Fear
Fallout
A couple of windows95 games (hasbro yahtzee and risk)
etc.
etc
etc

XP started out as a POS when it was released. It wasn't until sp1 that it stabilized. About that time driver stabilized also.

The compatibility settings actually work... try it!

Later

genec57

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I have it on two machines - one with 32 bit and the other 64 and no problems worth mentioning.
There may be and probable are some driver issues if upgrading a somewhat older PC.
I am perfectly satisfied with Vista and wouldn't consider going back.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
i had vista on one machine and my whole business crashed --- it would recognize non of my scanners or printers ---= I dont mind vista --- would like to move to it --- but if hardware and software wont work with it --- then cant--- so right now ---- vista offers me an upgrade path of nothing --- --- it is always good to hope.

sincerely,

stuck between a rock and hard place

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I have it on two machines - one with 32 bit and the other 64 and no problems worth mentioning.
There may be and probable are some driver issues if upgrading a somewhat older PC.
I am perfectly satisfied with Vista and wouldn't consider going back.

I have several machines too. The only thing I can't get good drivers for is my Creative web-cam (last creative product I'm buying, for several reasons). They have 'beta' Vista drivers and a simple hack for using it but so far they have nothing that THEY will support. Everything else I have, including all of my printers (6, including 2 networked laserjets) and both scanners have 64-bit drivers. It's just that one company that is famous (or maybe infamous) for their SLOW updates that is keeping me from having %100 64-bit mfg supported drivers.

doctorx

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004
Update:

I can add two more games that needed a work around but work. Quake and Quake2. Quake needed the TruQuake.exe from ati. Quake2 needed the last update. Talking about a fast game now! ;)

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
you have a really nice setup. Have you considered going with Vista 64? With the game list and the proper HW config that you have right now, it would be really nice to see how many of those games install and run without real problems (even if you lose a few fps). Really, either a positively biased or at least a good unbiased, honest opinion from someone who knows what the hell is going on would be a very good (and refreshing) person to hear from. Whatever, thanks for your feedback so far.

doctorx

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004
I was playing with it before settling down with vista32. The biggest issue i had was with copy protection. Although I just loaded a few games first, I thought it actually was faster in a couple of games i tried. I used to run x64 and basically the same limitations I had then was the same. I would prefer to run 64, but I figured that with Vista still being a little green, I was better off for 32 bit for the time being.

I will probably will go 64 bit, but not for 6 months or more. I didnt have the greatest luck with my tv card under 64bit. Drivers were fine, but the tv software croaked.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I ran Beta, RC1 RC2, I ran all of my programs and games without a hitch. Just need to learn the run as administrator command. However I can't even get it to install on my new computer. Got two errors that I haven't seen anywhere else online. It must just not like one of my components, all of them being new is probably a bad thing. I'd be better off with older components probably. From what I've seen if you can get things installed and are compatible your good to go, if things aren't your just hosed no matter what you do, I like Vista better as I said, had no problems whatsoever when I ran it on my old laptop.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
That would be interesting to check it on some of the newer Intel ones though. I wonder if anyone has it running on one. Not that I would suggest trying.

doctorx

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004
OK, with just ~20 games to go...

Here is what i could not get working:

Nascar Simracing
Anything with the indeo codec
Nothing with DOS stuff in it (Duh)

Games that i got working that i didnt think would work:
Wing Commander Kilrathi Sage
Wing Commander Prophecy
Wing Commander 4 DVD version
(My all time favorite games)

Had some game require work arounds. Almost every one if you use the latest patch for the game, it works. I noticed a bunch of games stripping out their copy protection. Supreme Commander with the latest patch strips out the requirement to have the dvd in the drive. This is a trend i see happening more and more. Frankly, it is about time. I hate using the cd/dvd if it isnt used in the game. The protection is easily stripped anyways. (but I digress).

I had an issue with Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory with it crashing to the desktop. There is a patch that fixes it but kills the ability to download content. I removed the program and reinstalled it without the patch and now I cannot get it to crash. Go figure.

All being told: I have 220GB of games installed with just a few to go and I am quite pleased with the performance and stability in the games.

l8r!

dblD

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
umm, I am mixing you up with 'picard'.

I'm sorry, I have just started using Vista Ultimate (I do have a _little_ system experience with W2k and XP). So just what does 'DOS stuff' have to do with not being able to run a game on your magnificent(!) system (I can still run cmd)? And please don't just say :oops:, Duh...

TIA
--DD

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
So just what does 'DOS stuff' have to do with not being able to run a game on your magnificent(!) system (I can still run cmd)?
In modern versions of Windows, the Command Prompt is a DOS emulator. Many old DOS games will not work with the environment variable limitations that Windows places on the emulated session. Just because a game is DOS compatible does not make it Windows compatible.

doctorx

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004
umm, I am mixing you up with 'picard'.

I'm sorry, I have just started using Vista Ultimate (I do have a _little_ system experience with W2k and XP). So just what does 'DOS stuff' have to do with not being able to run a game on your magnificent(!) system (I can still run cmd)? And please don't just say :oops:, Duh...

TIA
--DD

Come again? I can say Duh if i want to. I was just making an obvious observation. We havent been able to do DOS games for years now without something like dosbox. With every version of windows (and linux for that matter) I test all of my games. I never throw the old ones out because of the hope i can play them again. Wing commander the perfect example here.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007

dblD

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
As far as people having problems read these links as it is taking people forever to move or copy files with vista:
Hi dsharp9000,

I know you are a big Vista user and probably know all about these kinds of things. I am a new user, having just started last month (3.5 weeks) and I would really appreciate your help here with understanding these issues.

I started to read the first link that you posted but it was really long (275+ post and many pages). The second one didn't really seem to make much of a point (it really sounded kind of dumb).

Would you please sumarize what they are trying to say and also please add to your talk, exactly what issues you have with all of your systems (if you have time, please describe them as that could help me). I really want to know more so that I can look for similar problems with my little system as I use it more.

TIA
--DD

dblD

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
all i want is for microsoft to fix this
Oh, with that comment, I thought he was a Vista user and was trying to find a real solution to a problem. I don't really think I have any problems, my puter seems to run purty good, I just wanted to know what things to look for. :) Thanks.

I am sorry dsharp9000, I didn't mean to embarrass you.

oh, he has started another thread with this same thing... I'll post this there too, so he won't be embarrassed everywhere!

Best
--DD

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
some of my clients are using vista and file copying takes forever ---- have found work around that works for now --- but is work around and not true fix --- have posted specific example of problems that are occuring under my other post --- vista extemely slow file copy ......

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
It also may be hardware. I have 2 Maxtor drives that have no issue with my ASUS motherboard under XP, but they have huge issues under Vista with Copies/Moves. ASUS tried working with Maxtor and Maxtor never resolved their issue. ASUS suggested to simply move to a Western Digital or other hard disk brand. Sure enough, on the ASUS forums about 50 people were happy with the fix (as I was). Moral of the story: Don't always point to the OS as the obvious problem when there are other factors in place. Also, the indicated threads have multiple solutions throughout so it would seem the issue is being addressed in many different ways, because it is not a single issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.