Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Vista locks up one processor (dual core issue)

Last response: in Windows Vista
Share
May 16, 2007 10:00:00 PM

Hey guys. I've got an Athlon X2 processor and every once in a while Vista will put Core 0 at a 100% load. The system becomes very, very slow when this happens. The only fix is to reboot. I've tried terminating specific tasks/processes to see if it's a program jamming up the processor, but it continues to run at 100% after I've killed most programs.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's IE7 doing this. Has anyone had or seen this problem? Numerous searches on google have returned nothing.

Sys Specs:

Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Athlon X2 4800+
2GB of RAM
8800 GTX
May 17, 2007 12:59:11 AM

Covering the basics first - Does Task Manager show both cores? If not, you may have to enable ACPI in the BIOS and re-install.

Are all of your drivers made specifically for 64-bit Vista? I doubt the problem is IE7, as this problem would be more common.

Is your BIOS up to date?

Your problem actually sounds like the DualCore Optimization issues that XP had with AMD CPUs, but Vista supposedly has the patch built-in. If you're positive that it's not spyware/virus or driver related, you might want to give the Dual-Core Optimizer a try (I'd set a Restore Point first - just in case):
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_14098,00.html
May 17, 2007 1:01:15 AM

I believe it is IE7. I have seen the same thing on 32 bit and 64 bit, but only when IE7 just opened or just closed recently or a media plugin initiates. I've seen it in Media Player as well, but that could just be a codec issue.
Related resources
May 17, 2007 1:25:35 AM

Are you using any 3rd party plugins/codecs? I tried opening various files in IE7 and WMP, and I get even distribution on both cores (~35% max) with the default codecs with an E6600 with 64-bit, and about the same with an E4300 on 32-bit Vista.

Just curious to see if this could be narrowed down to a specific codec/plugin, or even an AMD Vista optimization problem.
May 17, 2007 11:45:26 AM

I have the ADM optimization patch and that patch deals mostly with graphic issues. This is more of a 100% utilization on core 0 during app access before it drops and the 2nd core kicks in - however it may not be a real problem but a way that AMD registers initiating/dropping CPU threads. It's not all the time, but the Quicktime, Media Player and Real Media plugins can all cause it in IE7. I've cleared out codecs to just the ones above and it still does it every once in a while. I've never seen it with DivX. It doesn't appear to be a real bottleneck because other things will launch very, very slowly and it lasts only a few moments (for me), it appears to be just an interesting spike to monitor.
May 18, 2007 3:31:37 AM

Quote:
I have the ADM optimization patch and that patch deals mostly with graphic issues. This is more of a 100% utilization on core 0 during app access before it drops and the 2nd core kicks in - however it may not be a real problem but a way that AMD registers initiating/dropping CPU threads. It's not all the time, but the Quicktime, Media Player and Real Media plugins can all cause it in IE7. I've cleared out codecs to just the ones above and it still does it every once in a while. I've never seen it with DivX. It doesn't appear to be a real bottleneck because other things will launch very, very slowly and it lasts only a few moments (for me), it appears to be just an interesting spike to monitor.


Has it ever been so bad that you had to reboot? Your problem is identical to mine, except when it happens i have to reboot to fix it.

exit2dos: thanks for the advice. but respectfully, it's none of those problems. the only possible thing it could be is a driver issue; indeed some of my drivers are 64bit drivers for XP that I rigged to work in Vista. But this problem has only begun recently and makes me believe it is a plugin in IE7 like Quicktime.
May 7, 2008 9:14:54 PM

I'm having the same problem...with vista 32 bit, it freezes up one core then the other core works at basically 100% and if i kill the sidebar it's seemingly better...but it doesn't always happen..

is anyone else running uTorrent at the time that it happens?? just lookin' for commonalities....

Intel E6550
4GB RAM
Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard

onboard video, sound, LAN

only PCI card is a D-Link wireless N NIC
November 12, 2008 11:10:56 PM

AMD 939 4200+ X2 Vista 32bit SP1 Giga-byte MB

Got the exact same issue - appears to happen randomly - no process listed but 2nd CPU locked at 100% - have to reboot to fix.

Re-installed Vista -updated bios - problem still there - have not tried to go back to XP - however I think it may be the next thing to try.

Searched everywhere - seems that a few have the problem but no-one has an answer!
November 13, 2008 2:37:57 AM

mpjesse said:
Hey guys. I've got an Athlon X2 processor and every once in a while Vista will put Core 0 at a 100% load. The system becomes very, very slow when this happens. The only fix is to reboot. I've tried terminating specific tasks/processes to see if it's a program jamming up the processor, but it continues to run at 100% after I've killed most programs.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's IE7 doing this. Has anyone had or seen this problem? Numerous searches on google have returned nothing.

Sys Specs:

Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Athlon X2 4800+
2GB of RAM
8800 GTX



IE7 may or may not be your problem Jesse, however I was noticing similar CPU usage with IE7 plus additionally with an "Out of memory at line 1" error message repeatedly, after typing a half page response to post here at THGF and just as I was about to submit the thing IE7, informed me it had a problem and had to close, losing all I'd typed, couldn't save it.

Installed Firefox, not one problem since, still have IE7 to access Windows Update, and thats all its used for anymore.

You could possibly have a memory issue since 2G of ram is kinda low for the 64bit version of Vista, it really seems to like 4G. Just a suggestion!

BTW good to see you around man! Ryan
May 31, 2009 7:02:27 PM

I have a AMD 6000+ and core 1 will lock at 100% whenever I go to Facebook. Then the machine will loose the net connection and I will have to reboot. It takes a few minutes, but it will always do it. I have scanned my machine with numerous AV and anti-malware programs. I keep up to date on all updates from MS. I asked AMD, but they never respond to my question. Why does the second core lock up when on IE or FF when in Facebook. It happens at times with other web sites, and only on web sites, but it happens ALWAYS on facebook.
Anonymous
July 8, 2009 2:36:24 PM

mooseheads36 said:
I'm having the same problem...with vista 32 bit, it freezes up one core then the other core works at basically 100% and if i kill the sidebar it's seemingly better...but it doesn't always happen..

is anyone else running uTorrent at the time that it happens?? just lookin' for commonalities....

Intel E6550
4GB RAM
Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard

onboard video, sound, LAN

only PCI card is a D-Link wireless N NIC




Exactly the same issue but it's core 1 thats locking up for me. And Yes it only ever locks up when I'm running uTorrent!

I can leave the machine on all day and its fine, but leave it for 30 mins with uTorrent running and core 1 will be locked at 100% when I come back to it.

Close utorrent doesn't return it to normal either.

I've left task manager open and shut the machine down (through the menu) and you see the core become free again!!

I've tried to close all processors manually but none of the ones im able to close makes a difference.
!