CPU testing - do you smell fish i do! more amd bias!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
More AMD bias from THG, is this test fixed? THG really must not like Intel! Did you guys pick through the amd chips to find a cool running one?

While i lov this little community when comes to cpu testing .....I think THG spends along time figuring out how to design an article to make amd look good!

Those power ratings look fishy - amd 5600+ runs hot and a core 2 runs cool why the higher power draw from Intel? My 2.4ghz 3600+ sure is hot!

again comparing a 3 ghz chip (6000+) vs a 2.4ghz 9E6600) chip - forget the 6000+ is a steamer oven and the e6600 is nice and cool at 3ghz! you know just because amd sells chips at the very maximum speed they will run and Intel does not - you might mention that- well THG sure takes advantage!

no mention that the e6400 or e6600 are just dieing to run at 2.6 -3.4ghz? while the amd chips are dieing at 3.4ghz?

AMD is green we all know that - something sure seems fishy with those power consumption numbers. I guess i smell the seaweed on the shipping crates from amd's overseas factories? Seas weed is green or maybe it was another green weed that THG smelled to makes theses tests favor amd again?

:evil: I am sure there must be a advertising issue here with this article - this is third CPU test - that does it best to make amd look as good as possible while leaving out the little benefits of core 2! :twisted:

ya ya -- IFB!

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
you no speak-ah any english? :lol: Sounds like the review got someones feathers in a bunch.

Forget that it seems to correspond with what other sites are publishing, its all THG's fault somehow. [/sarcasm]

ShatSprayer spreading more FUD as usual.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
THG is anything but biased, its a tag thrown at them by those who cant comprehend how mistakes are actually made and solved.

wow i do not know if you are serious or this is a good bit of sarcasm

i can hardly read the article it seems - i read the conclusion then results then the test methods - i could not bare to look at any longer!

----
you no speak-ah any english? :lol: Sounds like the review got someones feathers in a bunch.

Forget that it seems to correspond with what other sites are publishing, its all THG's fault somehow. [/sarcasm]

ShatSprayer spreading more FUD as usual.

where is your optotron signature? emberassed are we?
i got 4 banger for sale 4 dual core opptys 940 - u need it sandy?

$10k last year - $3.5k - 8 threads 2.4ghz chips i think???

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
More AMD bias from THG, is this test fixed? THG really must not like Intel! Did you guys pick through the amd chips to find a cool running one?

While i lov this little community when comes to cpu testing .....I think THG spends along time figuring out how to design an article to make amd look good!

Those power ratings look fishy - amd 5600+ runs hot and a core 2 runs cool why the higher power draw from Intel? My 2.4ghz 3600+ sure is hot!

again comparing a 3 ghz chip (6000+) vs a 2.4ghz 9E6600) chip - forget the 6000+ is a steamer oven and the e6600 is nice and cool at 3ghz! you know just because amd sells chips at the very maximum speed they will run and Intel does not - you might mention that- well THG sure takes advantage!

no mention that the e6400 or e6600 are just dieing to run at 2.6 -3.4ghz? while the amd chips are dieing at 3.4ghz?

AMD is green we all know that - something sure seems fishy with those power consumption numbers. I guess i smell the seaweed on the shipping crates from amd's overseas factories? Seas weed is green or maybe it was another green weed that THG smelled to makes theses tests favor amd again?

:evil: I am sure there must be a advertising issue here with this article - this is third CPU test - that does it best to make amd look as good as possible while leaving out the little benefits of core 2! :twisted:

ya ya -- IFB!

I am not endorsing the results of the article. I'm just trying to shine a light on the situatio The AMD chips will get hotter at the same power consumption because they are less capable of dissipating heat due to the insulator layer imbedded for SOI. This is a perfect example of a case where logic fails when one doesn't know that they are comparing apples to oranges.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i was basing that on the heat sink temps - i have never felt a chip package - when its running.

i have a hard time with those power conclusions but hey i could be wrong!
----
ya i only got 5 hours of sleep i am over worked - too many people changing their minds mid build - ok i am in the insane mode.

your 3600 at 2.8ghz now thats a good system compare that to e6300 at 2.8ghz now we got a fair test!
8O This thread is quickly becoming painful.

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Don't you think that a good heatsink would have a temperature that is related to the package and the die? Will all things being equal, a warmer die will result in a warmer heatsink. You shouldn't need to go measure the temperature on the die.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Bottom line: if your building a system and you want to spend less the $150 on a cpu the go amd. If you need a system now and you want speed go E6600. If you need more speed go q6600 at 3.2+ ghz.

if you have over $150 the E6420 and E6600 can not be matched. At $500 the q 6600 is a sweet chip.

WSZ, me, built 2 more E6600 systems this week - one system will ship at only 3.26ghz (the first in 4 months below 3.37ghz)) not the usual 3.37ghz. 1500fsb x 9 the other at 3.37 that is the best value - sorry THG. Really no amd system will match it - we ship them with stock intel coolers too!

I find this article misleading? o well

The fact is both amd and Intel have very competitive products and the speed of computers in general over the last year have moved at unsustainable pace - or will they continue at this pace?

we are running water cooled qx6700 at 3.6ghz, only 1.5 yrs ago it was single core P4's at 4ghz vs amd's (short pipe line, more calculations per clock) athlon. Mid 2005 dual core! wow! 2006 quad core! quad wow

game on!

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Bottom line: if your building a system and you want to spend less the $150 on a cpu the go amd. If you need a system now and you want speed go E6600. If you need more speed go q6600 at 3.2+ ghz.

if you have over $150 the E6420 and E6600 can not be matched. At $500 the q 6600 is a sweet chip.
What bias, what speed,... what are you talking about :?: :!:
If you consider the X2 6000+ a steamer, take a look at the very interesting 60/90 min test to see how in a real world environment, the X2 6000+ consumes considerably less than the E6600 and the X2 5200+ (or what else it was) less than the E6400 and I know it's hard to bare for an intel fanboy like you :lol:
As for comparing a 3.0 GHz CPU with a 2.4GHz one, there's really nothing bad in it when performance, price and power consumption are comparable; we used to accept pretty easily the challenge between a 2.0GHz A64 and 3.0GHz P4.
Bottom line: the only thing I smell is Intel fanboy sticking his nose whenever he can; when will you grow up :roll:

jamiepotter

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006

Isn't it something to do with the idle power draw?

Aren't you confusing OC with non-OC here? Everyone knows that OC'd Intel C2D will outperform anything AMD has.

But if power consumption is an issue, as it is for anyone over the age of 18, and you don't OC, then AMD is a good choice.

Where's the bias? These accusations are very silly. Are you just bored?

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Anyone who bought a P4 in 2005 and an athlon x2 in 2007 (both for a similar price) can be proclaimed a fanboy?

How many people overclock office machines?
How many office machines run high cpu loads most of the time?

price range / performance range is the only metric that matters
(not clock speed).

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Anyone who bought a P4 in 2005 and an athlon x2 in 2007 (both for a similar price) can be proclaimed a fanboy?

(not clock speed).
I run my office 3.0GHz p4 @ 3.5GHz but, shhhhhhh :)

sailer

Splendid

The fact is both amd and Intel have very competitive products and the speed of computers in general over the last year have moved at unsustainable pace - or will they continue at this pace?

game on!

Actually, I found parts of the article were either confusing and not well explained myself, so you aren't alone there. It did seem that Intel was better in some things while AMD did better in others, but the comparisons in temps and power comsumption didn't make sense to me.

As to the pace of developement, I suspect that Intel has pretty much reached a plateau for the moment and AMD will catch up during the next year or so. In a couple years, a new round of innovation should begin again. As it is, stock mhz cycles haven't really gone up all that much for the past couple years, though overclocking has pushed some cpus much higher. Right now, I think gains in efficiency will be the next priority for both companies, not overall speed.

I think the next big gains in the computing world will be in the video cards as the requirements for Vista/DX10 are understood and implemented.

All the above is my opinion only and may well be wrong. Either my crystal ball is getting hazy or I need to see an eye doctor.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I can't find a link to the article so don't know what it said.

What I do know is that my E6600 is overclocked from 2.4 to 3.0ghz on stock voltage and its temp is 40C on the stock cooler!!!

So no signs of high power draw here.

Here's the proof:

If you doubt its an overclock look at the fsb - 1336Mhz.

Also according to tests, the E6600 has a TDP value of 65W:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=e6600&page=2&cookie%5Ftest=1

Compare this to the AMD:

Athlon 6000+ TDP = 125W

Athlon 5600+ TDP = 95W

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/02/22/amd_athlon_64_x2_6000/1.html

All sounds a little fishy to me as well!

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Also according to tests, the E6600 has a TDP value of 65W:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=e6600&page=2&cookie%5Ftest=1

Compare this to the AMD:

Athlon 6000+ TDP = 125W

Athlon 5600+ TDP = 95W

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/02/22/amd_athlon_64_x2_6000/1.html

All sounds a little fishy to me as well!

Intel and AMD measure TDP differently so this is irrelevant.
It's a total platform metric in the article.

Edit 1:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/04/which_is_the_best_mainstream_cpu/page11.html

If you are willing to spend more than $200 on the processor, Core 2 Duo still is the only reasonable choice.

In other words: AMD still provides a great value, but mostly in the mainstream.
Since you spent more than 200$ on a E6600 it's a clear win for C2D.
Since you overclock it's a clear win for C2D.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Um, that TDP value only means something if the cpu is running on stock. Once you start overclocking... you may as well throw that number out the window.
It's also known that Intel's and AMD's TDP's do not show the same kind of value and AMD has been complaining about this some time ago. However, this new power consumption test was really nicely tailored to show the real world power consumption and it showed what logics tells; AMD's C'n'Q runs the CPU @ 800MHz when idle while SpeedStep does not go below 1600MHz and this proves so effective that it totally turns the tables in AMD's favor at the end because, even the hardcore gamer/programmer/renderer/encoder etc, for most of the time has his PC idling.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

game on!

Actually, I found parts of the article were either confusing and not well explained myself, so you aren't alone there. It did seem that Intel was better in some things while AMD did better in others, but the comparisons in temps and power comsumption didn't make sense to me.

As to the pace of developement, I suspect that Intel has pretty much reached a plateau for the moment and AMD will catch up during the next year or so. In a couple years, a new round of innovation should begin again. As it is, stock mhz cycles haven't really gone up all that much for the past couple years, though overclocking has pushed some cpus much higher. Right now, I think gains in efficiency will be the next priority for both companies, not overall speed.

I think the next big gains in the computing world will be in the video cards as the requirements for Vista/DX10 are understood and implemented.

All the above is my opinion only and may well be wrong. Either my crystal ball is getting hazy or I need to see an eye doctor.

than you lord someone is with me! :p

hannibal

Distinguished

(not clock speed).

I don't overclock... I have tryed and tested the limits of my rig, but don't normally use any overclokking because I don't need... Everything runs smootly without it in anyway.
Then there are allso huge amount of people who don't know how to acces the bios settings (and don't want to do it...) so they are newer gonna overclock.
Then there are those who take of everything they can because they can... Most of them are hanging around in these forums.

So summa summarum. For most people that use computer to any dayly surffing and wordprosessing the Intel and AMD are very viable option, depending on the prise.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I haven't read all the posts or the article itself yet, though I have seen similar ones with similar results in other places. One thing I feel that needs to be said though is that you have shown yourself on these forums to be Intel biased, and therefore more likely to call foul on an article that says anything positive about AMD.