Dish 811 hdtv receiver

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 10, 2004 9:57:56 PM

Does anyone know if a Dish 811 can be used as an OTA receiver without
being activated for Dish satellite tv? Thanks.

More about : dish 811 hdtv receiver

December 11, 2004 3:40:23 AM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:57:56 -0500, Ron LaPorte <dyoll_1@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know if a Dish 811 can be used as an OTA receiver without
>being activated for Dish satellite tv? Thanks.

From what I've heard It can't. I know my 921 will not.
December 13, 2004 8:06:41 AM

"Ron LaPorte" <dyoll_1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D yoll_1-69D170.18575610122004@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
> Does anyone know if a Dish 811 can be used as an OTA receiver without
> being activated for Dish satellite tv? Thanks.

Yes it can, I just received one and tried out the OTA channels before
activating and it worked ok.

Evad
December 14, 2004 4:22:28 AM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:06:41 -0700, "Evad" <evad@dodgeit.com> wrote:

>"Ron LaPorte" <dyoll_1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:D yoll_1-69D170.18575610122004@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
>> Does anyone know if a Dish 811 can be used as an OTA receiver without
>> being activated for Dish satellite tv? Thanks.
>
>Yes it can, I just received one and tried out the OTA channels before
>activating and it worked ok.
>
>Evad

Not sure without the Dish connected up. But for one thing it works
great for all OTA stations including analog, digital and HD.

hdtvfan
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:05:55 AM

Evad wrote:
> "Ron LaPorte" <dyoll_1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D yoll_1-69D170.18575610122004@comcast.dca.giganews.com...
>
>>Does anyone know if a Dish 811 can be used as an OTA receiver without
>>being activated for Dish satellite tv? Thanks.
>

> Yes it can, I just received one and tried out the OTA channels before
> activating and it worked ok.
>
> Evad

Will the 811 continue receive local 8VSB channels when a storm blocks
the satellite signal?
A few month ago hurricane Frances and Jeanne disrupted satellite
reception for hours; especially during the most intense part of the
storm. Even though terrestrial reception was possible, the Dish 6000
with the 8VSB tuner would not work without a valid satellite signal. The
winds were so high that the toilet bowel water formed waves, "surfs up".
With the hurricane shutters up, all visibility to the outside is cut
off. Without a TV and howling winds, storm information is needed the
most; especially Doppler radar. When the power failed, the generator was
activated; but without a valid satellite signal, the Dish 6000 receiver
failed. Sure glad that I did not buy the generator from Dish.
Never again will I rely on Dish network.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 5:37:47 AM

On 10-Dec-2004, Bob <blablabla!@bla.net> wrote:

> >Does anyone know if a Dish 811 can be used as an OTA receiver without
> >being activated for Dish satellite tv? Thanks.
>
> From what I've heard It can't. I know my 921 will not.

That is correct. The 811 is an excellent OTA receiver but it cannot receive
OTA signals unless it is connected to DISH and that does not mean merely a
coax connection to your satellite dish. It means you must be connected to
Dish and signed up for some programming.

I'm sure there are some who may feel that is unfair but the 811 was not
designed as an OTA receiver which could optionally receive satellite
programming.

It is a Dish satellite receiver which can also receive OTA and integrate it
into the Dish programming guide.

I'm also sure that if an 811 could be used simply as an OTA receiver without
a subscription to Dish programming, Dish would not be giving them away for
free.

--
John in Sun Prairie
Anonymous

>On 10-Dec-2004, Bob <blablabla!@bla.net> wrote:
>
>> >Does anyone know if a Dish 811 can be used as an OTA receiver without
>> >being activated for Dish satellite tv? Thanks.
>>
>> From what I've heard It can't. I know my 921 will not.
>
>That is correct. The 811 is an excellent OTA receiver but it cannot receive
>OTA signals unless it is connected to DISH and that does not mean merely a
>coax connection to your satellite dish. It means you must be connected to
>Dish and signed up for some programming.
>
>I'm sure there are some who may feel that is unfair but the 811 was not
>designed as an OTA receiver which could optionally receive satellite
>programming.
>
>It is a Dish satellite receiver which can also receive OTA and integrate it
>into the Dish programming guide.
>
>I'm also sure that if an 811 could be used simply as an OTA receiver without
>a subscription to Dish programming, Dish would not be giving them away for
>free.

I would think the 811's menu could not be activated without at least
a basic Dish subscription. I'm almost sure you have to have the HD
subscription for 1 year to get the 811 receiver.

Once your off-air antenna is connected then you use the menu to add
your digital and analog channels. The 811 list them down below
channel 100 on the menu. This makes it easy to go from the dish list
to the OTA channels. Punch in like 014 for channel 14 or 0141 for
digital channel 14.1

Just in case the re-set button is the same as the power button.
Its the larger chrome button near the blue or yellow led.
(dig or HD signal is blue, analog signal is yellow) Press and hold
it in for about 5 seconds. The led may go dark or your TV screen may
change, then release. It re-boots in about a minute.

The on-screen station power indicator is nice on the digital channels.

hdtvfan
December 18, 2004 1:04:37 PM

I live in a valley about 60 miles from the nearest city that has HD
broadcasts. How likely is it that with an indoor antenna I'll be able
to pick up any OTA HD? I'm wondering if it's even worth trying out an
indoor antenna....and if so, which one?
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 8:59:22 PM

L230j@charter.net wrote:

> I'm also sure that if an 811 could be used simply as an OTA receiver without
> a subscription to Dish programming, Dish would not be giving them away for
> free.

Dish receivers are not for free. I paid over $600 for the Dish 6000
satellite receiver and an additional $120 for the 8VSB plug in OTA
tuner. If you commit to a programming package for the required amount of
time, I am sure that Charlie has recovered the cost for the receiver and
even more. If you cancel the subscription before the commitment term,
there are charges that you must pay. Even if you lease the equipment,
you must either return the equipment after programming cancellation or
pay the cost of the equipment. Regardless if you obtain Dish equipment
through outright purchase, lease or a programming commitment plan, the
receivers are not given away for "free".There is no reasonable
justification to require a valid Dish satellite signal to enable OTA
reception.
I see no difference between charging an admission fee in a bar, your
home or where ever, to watch broadcast TV and the Dish requirement to
receive a valid Dish satellite signal to enable terrestrial broadcast TV
reception.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 8:11:26 AM

Nope. If you are watching local TV and a storm comes through you get to
watch it search for satellite signal. I get the "nothing for free"
argument (although HD receivers are not free) but it will not remember
that I am a paying customer for one second.

In article
<nhwvd.1090479$Gx4.613171@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

!