I receive the following error message "windows was unable to delay write to
D:\$Mft. It may be due to a hardware error or network error.

I asked a computer guy and he said because it was afile beginning with $ it
was only a windows maintenance file and would have no effect on machine
operation.

Is that an accurat staement?

Luckeyo

See http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ntfs/files/mft.html
and http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-mft.htm for info. Your error
seems to mean that the D: drive is not available and you
should find out what is causing that. The $ sign is a
variable path tool that makes the mft update the recent and
correct master file table. It is important to NTFS file
security and reliability. Ask a better computer guy.

"luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
|I receive the following error message "windows was unable
to delay write to
| D:\$Mft. It may be due to a hardware error or network
error.

| I asked a computer guy and he said because it was afile
beginning with $ it
| was only a windows maintenance file and would have no
effect on machine
| operation.
|
| Is that an accurat staement?
|
| Luckeyo

The problem you are having is due to a failure in the Delayed Write buffer
for the drive. It could be something as simple as a bad or loose cable, or
the drive going bad, or the drive is getting hot. You should go to the
website of the drive manufacturer and download the drive diagnostics utility
and test the drive.

This suggestion assumes that you have done the required disk maintenance and
upkeep (chkdisk, defrag).

As a last resort, I would turn off delayed writes for the drive, but would
not keep any essential or important information on the drive as it could
very well be in it's death throes.

Bobby

> See http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ntfs/files/mft.html
> and http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs-mft.htm for info. Your error
> seems to mean that the D: drive is not available and you
> should find out what is causing that. The $ sign is a
> variable path tool that makes the mft update the recent and
> correct master file table. It is important to NTFS file
> security and reliability. Ask a better computer guy.

> "luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
> |I receive the following error message "windows was unable
> to delay write to
> | D:\$Mft. It may be due to a hardware error or network
> error.
> |
> | I asked a computer guy and he said because it was afile
> beginning with $ it
> | was only a windows maintenance file and would have no
> effect on machine
> | operation.
> |
> | Is that an accurat staement?
> |
> | Luckeyo

Thank you for the help.

Luckeyo

"luckeyo" <star35@vcn.com> wrote in message
>I receive the following error message "windows was unable to delay write to
>D:\$Mft. It may be due to a hardware error or network error.
>
> I asked a computer guy and he said because it was afile beginning with $
> it was only a windows maintenance file and would have no effect on machine
> operation.
>
> Is that an accurat staement?
>
> Luckeyo

I made it up. Government includes judges, city council
members, police officers, anybody with the power of
government. Your "update" is well intentioned, but limits
the scope too much. It stands as...