XP or Vista?

MrsBytch

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Im guilty, I have been using a fake copy of XP Pro for 3 years now. Im just getting tired of the patches and crap to get past the validation. Its getting ridiculous now.
Soo...Ive decided Im either going to purchase XP Pro for $120 or Vista (not sure what version or how much).
We use our computer mostly for web browsing and gaming. What would be best. Take into consideration that we dont have a DX10 VC either and probably wont buy one for 6-12 months.
Thanks

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
For the most part, it won't make a difference which you choose per your PC habits and hardware. If you do go Vista, go 32 bit if you want as close an experience as possible to what you are currently doing with XP. If you stay with XP, just know that your updates are reportedly going to stop by first half of 2009.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
xp, if you have 64bit already and all your apps are running fine then you are good but lot of apps are not compatible with vista ;)

MrsBytch

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
xp, if you have 64bit already and all your apps are running fine then you are good but lot of apps are not compatible with vista ;)

I dont have 64 bit XP, only a 64 bit processor.
Anyways, I was thinking of just getting the cheap vista home basic. Is this ok for web browsing and playing games?

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
You may have a 64 bit compatible chip, but the issue are 64 bit drivers for all your hardware. You may be able to find them, but then again you may not. The 64 bit OS is much more stringent in how an app needs to be programmed and not as forgiving as the 32 bit version, as many have already found out. For web browsing and games, Vista Home should work without too much of an issue.

MrsBytch

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks. What do you mean by too much of an issue? Is there problems with games? I dont want to be stuck with crap, but Im on a strict budget and Home basic is only $89.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
It's a new/different OS. Not everything is going to go as cleanly as the OS you have been using for years no matter what you do. In general, games that use DX9.0C and above or OpenGL (modern games) have no issues. Some older games may have some issues, but can usually be dealt with by placing the game in compatibility mode. 64 Bit has more known issues with games than 32 bit does. Little things like that - none of them are deal breakers but just annoyances.