Sign in with
Your question

Wireless monitoring software

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 16, 2004 1:40:47 AM

I set up a wireless network yesterday and I love it. I'm using a WG311 Netgear card though and the software that comes with it is weak. My friend has the USB version and the PCMCIA version and they both come with a better utility to monitor and control the network. Mine just says if it's secure or not and gives me some bubbles to show signal strength.

Is there some software utility out there that will give me better info, in percentages preferably, on the signal strength, plus info on the encryption I have on, etc etc?

January 22, 2004 12:59:37 AM

Someone else out there must also be dissapointed with the bundled "utility". Anyone using a 3rd party utility or program?

January 22, 2004 5:36:58 PM

Download and install netstumbler if your running windows. It's a utility mainly for the outside looking in crowd but you can use it for an internal utility as well.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer
Related resources
January 22, 2004 9:38:08 PM

Thanks! I'll try it out when I get home!

January 26, 2004 1:04:42 AM

AirSnare is good for monitoring.
January 30, 2004 6:41:44 PM

Airsnare won't even run and the other software suggested doesn't give me any information, or I can't find it at least.

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Jessica Simpson Naked!!!</A></b>
January 31, 2004 2:55:13 PM

If Netstumbler isn't giving you any data then your client device is not supported. The website should list the supported hardware. If yours is, and you still can't see anything in the utility, then your doing something very wrong. Netstumbler is pretty much idiot proof. My guess would be your card isn't supported.
February 5, 2004 3:41:02 PM

Why won't airsnare run? Wrong OS?
February 6, 2004 11:54:19 PM

I've downloaded it twice and it won't install. It's XP pro so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Netstumbler gives me info but maybe I'm just not sure how to read it. It gives me a bar graph and some numbers but I haven't quite figured out what they mean.

I want to know my signal strength the most and hopefully will figure it out. I've been busy lately and haven't put the time into it.

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Barbara Streisand Naked!!!</A></b>
!