Sign in with
Your question

Error Installing Vista Ultimate

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 19, 2007 6:15:57 PM

Windows could not retreive information about the disks on this computer.

Booting from IDE DVD Drive

Trying to install on 320 GB SATA 2 drive.
Have plugged it into the Gb and intel sata ports.
I disabled my OC.

I have no idea what to do now to be honest, this error isn't on MS knowledge base or anywhere online.(0 google results)

GIGABYTE DS3
May 19, 2007 6:52:47 PM

I used seagate diskwizard to mirror my 250GB--->320GB and am sticking with XP for now I guess....

Still would have liked to use my vista ultimate and my 4 GB ram though.

Used to run vista ulti on my old pos amd 3800 laptop no issues figured my desktop would be ok.

I even tried to install vista onto my 320GB while booted into XP on my 250GB that I'm RMA'ing. I got vista install had unspecified error and has to restart at the cd-key part. So I guess this computer simply won't fly with vista and I'll wait until I upgrade/DX10 is widespread perhaps...
m
l
May 19, 2007 7:46:37 PM

Quote:
Windows could not retreive information about the disks on this computer.

Booting from IDE DVD Drive

Trying to install on 320 GB SATA 2 drive.
Have plugged it into the Gb and intel sata ports.
I disabled my OC.

I have no idea what to do now to be honest, this error isn't on MS knowledge base or anywhere online.(0 google results)

GIGABYTE DS3

It's not a Vista error, I'm sure you'd see the exact same problem if you were trying to install XP. I'll just hazzard a guess, you don't have your MoBo set up right for sata or its a simple wiring problem (simple cause there's only two connectors).

Also (not related to this problem, just an fyi), if its a new seagate (7200.10), there is a very small jumper on your drive that you need to remove to get the full 3G xfer rate. It's very small and easily overlooked.

I'm not sure what you are doing with the mirroring thing, I NEVER use any of the disk-mfg supplied disk utilities (they make a good fresbies)... If you can cleanly boot XP, you should be able to see and format that sata drive, have you tried that? It won't hurt anything to screw with it under XP, just let Vista reformat it whenever you do get your HW configuration problem resolved.
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2007 1:10:37 AM

No I had no issues trying to install xp nor have I had the problem the other times I installed vista betas on my laptops.

They're are 6 ports and 3 sata controllers.
2 Intel ICH8 or whatever and one GB jmicron or something if I remember right.

Also it is not a 7200.10 but I'll keep that in mind.

DiskWizard is something you can install, it mirrors a boot drive for example if you want to replace a drive and not reload all of your programs. I can see the drives from within windows(xp) and from within the bios also. I do know what I'm doing generally. I can read it from within windows when i tried to install vista from within windows also and then I got an "unspecified error".

Now I'm running xp(booting on my 320Gb drive) but somehow my partition table went bad on the new Seagate 400GB drive I moved all my data to so I'm using file scavenger to get it. Seems my version isn't getting my iso's missed 2 of them so far but it showed everything and has recovered the rest so far. 66% of the way through.
m
l
May 20, 2007 1:19:33 AM

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant that whether you were doing a clean install with Vista or with XP, you should be seeing the same kind of problem. They are both (as are W2k and W2k3) using the same installation technology. Good luck with your restoration... been there too.
m
l
May 20, 2007 1:41:21 AM

See I can install XP though that was my point.
m
l
July 13, 2007 2:13:38 PM

I had this same problem. My issue was that Vista could not read the partition on the Hard Drive, used a partition tool to delete, and now vista installs!
m
l
!