Internet issues - Ever heard of computer induced suicide?

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
To clear up any doubts, I am using a different computer to write this message.

Ok, to start from the beginning, 2 days ago I had had enough of feeling insecure behind windows firewall and decided to go for ZoneAlarm basic. We had also had a previous issue before hand with certain firewalls refusing to work and causing random shutdowns, faulty start ups, and various error messages.

(dont worry this isnt ask you to be an expert on ZoneAlarm, just giving some background info first)

I downloaded ZoneAlarm on a seperate computer, put it on pendrive, and copied onto said computer. I double clicked. Install went fine and dandy, only right at the end of its setup, when it checks your browsers to allow them access to the net, it had an error; something about a TrueVector service, not being able to log into it and that i should go onto my task manager end this TrueVector service and restart ZoneAlarm. Upon looking in taskmanager there is no TrueVector to be seen under processes nor applications. And when trying to restart ZoneAlarm, an error saying a certain .dll file, could not be found.

Before or after this had happened, everything was asumed in working order and A-ok, and so the computer was left (shutdown ofcourse) overnight.

We start up the computer the next day...ZoneAlarm isnt loaded. When trying to open it, it mentions the .dll file not ebing found again, and upon attempting to reinstall, it mentions the TrueVector service again. And here comes the problem: browsers dont work.

MSN, Yahoo, and internet applications work fine, but the BT yahoo browser, IE (5 i think) didnt work. So i did what i could, and had a tinker around, to no avail.

I played with windows firewall settings, internet settings, browser settings. Nothing.

The first thing that pops into the head when you think of what had changed overnight was ZoneAlarm. As much as i wanted to dismiss that it could be the source of the problem as the application itself wasnt running, it was the only semi-logical explanation. I tried inserting the missing .dll file seperately from the extracted folders and still nothing worked on ZoneAlarm.

The only other possibility could have been the old firewall files i had deleted the night before, but again as they were faulty already, and had been rarely used, it seems unprobable.

Looking through windows error logs, looking through every single files, every single folder, every single tick box and setting, nothing made it work. But we know what windows is like eh? it has a tendency to just shut things down stop em happening or whatever as it pleases, because it didnt like something... and not tell you.

Thinking about it more closely and asuming that something did go awry in the ZoneAlarm setup, it occurred that the initial error was during its anaylsis of my browsers, and in doing so may have left its process unfinished, and done something to make them not work. It sounded possible.

So i tried installing a new browser, and yet again, that still didnt work. So that ruled that one out.

Last possible scenario that seemed logical was that the 2 wireless programs we had running were conflicting, ZoneAlarm induced or not. So i shut down one program and give all the power to the windows wireless controller. And still nothing. (the windows claiming to be connected where the Belkin program claimed otherwise)

Is it something simple, an under-my-nose type thing?

Any other idea? Solutions? or even identifying what may have gone wrong?

Thanks for reading, Luke

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
others here like za I don't, uninstall za, and look for sygate pro 5.6 if you can 't find it pm me and I will give it to you. the za is having conflicts with something else and truevector is a za service.

sygate pro 5.6 is much better ;)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
ok then msconfig, hide all ms services and then disable the rest, next go to the startup tab and disable all apps there, now reboot, on reboot try to delete the files you like to delete, if you still can't do it let me know.

from there follow these steps

Uninstall ZoneAlarm Information

Zone Labs Customer Care

This Information Applies to:

All ZoneAlarm Products

Summary:

If you want to fully uninstall ZoneAlarm, or if you received this from Tech Support.

Solution:

In order to completely remove ZoneAlarm from your system, please do the following. If any of the steps below do not apply to you, or you are unable to perform the function listed, please continue to the next step.

If you plan to reinstall, then before starting, please be sure to download the latest version. Note that a current valid license key is required to download ZoneAlarm Plus or Pro.

ZoneAlarm: http://www.zonelabs.com/zadownload/

ZoneAlarm w/Antivirus: http://www.zonelabs.com/zaavdownload/

ZoneAlarm Pro: http://www.zonelabs.com/zapdownload/

ZoneAlarm Security Suite: http://www.zonelabs.com/zasuitedownload/

Note for ZoneAlarm Premium product users: In order to download the latest version, you must have a valid key. To find out if your key is valid, click Overview -> Product Info. Your expiration date and time will appear directly underneath the license number (any key that shows "unlimited" is an illegal pirate license key). If your key is not valid, use the following link to renew:

http://www.zonelabs.com/renew/

Be sure to install from an account with Administrative privileges, if your OS supports them.

Please do the following. If any of the steps below do not apply to you, or you are unable to perform the function listed, please CONTINUE to the next step.

Open the ZoneAlarm program, go to the OVERVIEW -> PREFERENCES tab, and make sure the Load At Startup box is UNchecked. Close the program, then right-click on the ZA icon and select Shutdown.

REBOOT.

You should now have no ZoneAlarm processes running on your system.

Now click Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs -> Uninstall. Be sure to say YES to the security check.

WARNING - Do NOT run the ZoneAlarm Uninstall program while in Safe Mode unless absolutely necessary. The program may not be able to make the proper registry changes in Safe Mode, thus generating errors after a reboot.

REBOOT.

To make sure that you can see the ZoneAlarm system files, if they are still on your computer:
a. Right-click on Start, then left-click on Explore. When the Windows Explorer panel appears:

- In Windows 95, 98, 98SE: Click View -> Options (in Windows 98/98SE, this will be called "Folder Options"). Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show all files" radio button.

- In Windows ME, XP, 2000: Click Tools -> Folder Options. Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button.

b. Make sure you also UNcheck the box to "Hide Protected Operating System Files" if you have one.
c. When searching, be sure it searches ALL hidden files and folders (in XP: check Advanced search settings)
d. Click OK.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Making modifications to system files may disable crucial functions of your Windows operating system. We strongly suggest re-enabling the "Hide files and folders" feature once all ZoneAlarm files have been removed.

Click on Start, then Search or Find, and select Files. Make sure that the location box is set to search your local hard drive (usually C :) or All Local Drives.

Type the following exactly and delete the folder:

zonelabs (under your SYSTEM or SYSTEM32 folder)
"zone labs" (under your Program Files folder)
"Internet logs" (under your Windows or WINNT folder)

Type the following exactly - delete files found in \Windows or any subfolder below it, in your \Temp folder, or in the Windows "Pre-Fetch" folder):

vsconfig.xml
vsdata.dll
vsdata95.vxd
vsdatant.sys
vsmon.*
vsmonapi.dll
vsnetutils.dll
vspubapi.dll
zaplus.*
zapro.*
zllictbl.dat
zlparser.dll
zonealarm.exe
zoneband.dll

vsutil.dll (please right-click, Properties -> Version to be sure it is a ZA file. Do NOT delete this file unless it is a Zone Labs file!)

Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty (right-click and select Empty).
REBOOT

NOTE: If you received an error message upon deleting the files, or if the original programs remain in the Programs list, or if the problem persists after this, removing the files in Safe Mode will allow you to delete the files properly. Click Start, Help, and search for "SAFE MODE" for information specific to your system.

Now you should be able to get a clean install of the new version. Be sure to NOT use the old settings as this can cause further difficulties if the database is corrupt.

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
Ok, here goes.

I did the Msconfig thing you said. I still could not delete the file (error:accessdenied). however i HAD rebooted the machine as you instructed. And when restarting applications to get my computer back to normal, i came accross the Belkin app. Low and Behold, the net worked. I then worked out in my head that it must have been Belkin and Windows that was conflicting, creating my lack of internet. So i put all my apps back how they were minus a few, and rebooted. Upon reboot, no internet again, leaving one possible scenario, that one of the apps i had reenabled from disabled was causing the problem...

back into MSconfig, and i disable all that i had done so before. Only this time... what comes up as a service? thats right, True vector internet monitor.

The same thing cuasing all the errors in ZA installation, and evidently causing the net not to work. The process disapears when i double click a program int eh ZA directory called Vsmon, onyl to reapear on start up.

ANd when trying to disable the truevector process, i get an access denied error again.

How can i stop truevector loading on startup? how can i overide this access denied error i keep getting?

PS: i also tried moving and editing the files causing truevector to work, to no avail: access denied again.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
ok follow the steps in my quote, start from
Open the ZoneAlarm program, go to the OVERVIEW -> PREFERENCES tab, and make sure the Load At Startup box is UNchecked. Close the program, then right-click on the ZA icon and select Shutdown.

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
lol i cant run ZA. as i said there was a missing .dll file that stops the app itself loading. javascript:emoticon(':?')
javascript:emoticon(':?')

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
yep. and i thought i was onto a winner. deleted all the files thinking that the truevector service would not load on startup next time round.

I was wrong.

upon looking in msconfig again, the service appears to still be there, but now shows no objection when it ry and disable it.. im asuming cus ther is nothing behind it to tell me im not allowed.

I have now resoted back to prior deleting the files. so i ahve a semi-blank canvas.

Im now at the original problem again. Its annoying i was so close aswell, had the itnernet working, that one time. something was different lol.

any other suggestions?

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
i can locat truevec in msconfig if thats what you mean.

It previously had an error when i tried to disable. Now it doesnt but still has no effect enabling or disabling. When running program vsmon.exe gets rid of the service. Only to come back on startup

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
right click my computer>magane>services and application>services>here in the left pan locate the services and right click them>properties>here stop service and change its startup type to disable and see if that helps ;)