nforce 650i or P965 for Core2 Quad upgrade later?

hoRRex

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I play alot of new high intensive graphical games so I'm going to upgrade my old computer. I'm going to buy a cheep core2 duo now and when Quad becomes mainstream ill upgrade to a decent core2 Quad CPU.

My question is what chipset am i better off getting in order to upgrade to a core2 Quad later. Will all P965's be able to run Core2 Quad or would a nForce 650i be a better choice?

It looks like the 650i has alot more memory capacity than the P965 which might come in handy in the future. Also the dual PCI-e on the 650i has its advantages aswell, but these are things i wont need right now.

So is the 650i worth spending $45au more (australian $$) keeping in mind i will upgrade to a Core2 Quad in the need future?

Cheers for any help.

I play alot of new high intensive graphical games so I'm going to upgrade my old computer. I'm going to buy a cheep core2 duo now and when Quad becomes mainstream ill upgrade to a decent core2 Quad CPU.

My question is what chipset am i better off getting in order to upgrade to a core2 Quad later. Will all P965's be able to run Core2 Quad or would a nForce 650i be a better choice?

It looks like the 650i has alot more memory capacity than the P965 which might come in handy in the future. Also the dual PCI-e on the 650i has its advantages aswell, but these are things i wont need right now.

So is the 650i worth spending $45au more (australian $$) keeping in mind i will upgrade to a Core2 Quad in the need future?

Cheers for any help.

I have a q6600 running great on a 965 chipset currently. If you want to go SLI then the Nvidia chipsets are what you want, specifically the 680i chip. If you wait a couple of weeks you can try out the latest P35 chipset motherboards. Should be interesting.

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2980