after you put thermal paste on the heatsink.. should it be..

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
i am going to replace my motherboard soon and want some advice.. or tips on reinstalling the heatsink.. so after i clean it off.. i put a rice grain sized on the cpu... and i was going to put heatsink on to flatten/spread out the paste...

does the paste have to cover the cpu COMPLETELY??

or would it be ok like this.. which is on the artic site..
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:dnEec8aH-dxUWM:http://www.arcticsilver.com/images/p4_as_dab2a.jpg

any other tips or advice. on doing this...

socket am2 ath64 3800+
stock heatsink.

thanks

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
If it will make you feel better, you can put your finger in a plastic sandwich bag and spread that BB sized glob around to look like the pictures. You may have to use a little more grease since some will be lost on the bag. This is not a critical issue. The main error will be using so much paste that instead of just filling microscopic gaps that it acts more like oreo cookie filling. Make sure that all remnants of the old caked on paste are completely gone from both surfaces.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
yeah thanks guys. oh just any other advice let me know.. like clean it while the cpu is still in the old mobo.. or take out eh cpu then clean it.. etc etc..

thanks

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Yeah. Clean it while the underside is well protected. In the old socket is perfect. Let it completely dry before you install the new paste and heatsink.

minizzle

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
so you dont have to cover the whole heatspreader ryte..

so if it looked like that circle area on the linked picture that'd still be fine..

thanks

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Follow the instructions on the as5 site (I did for my machine) and cooling is great. The thin line method works well. Don't be afraid to use a "fat line" if your temps aren't very good. There are a lot of people in here and else where that try to tell people using too much paste can hurt temps. Maybe so, but you do need good coverage.