Ipaq 3660 Car Charger

July 31, 2005 2:28:35 PM

I know this is an old model but I still use it and I think its great.
However, I have a bit of a problem with it that I hope someone can help
with.

We use the Ipaq and its Navigation sleeve for in car GPS and sometimes
we leave it there overnight (hidden). In the morning the battery is
always dead -even though its been switched off. It doesnt seem that
the car charger charges the battery - though it will provide power to
the unit.

I charged the unit indoors and it is fine and holds a charge for a good
while. The battery was replaced recently but I bought it on ebay so who
knows how good it is!

regards

Francis

http://www.rwfts.com
Software for Blind Computer Users

More about : ipaq 3660 car charger

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:49:53 PM

Might be a silly question, but do you unplug the 3660 from the car charger
overnight? Does the 3660 hold a charge overnight if you don't have it
connected to a charger? Does your auto power outlet provide power if the car
is off (many don't).

If the car doesn't power the outlet when off and the PPC is plugged into the
charger it could actually be contributing to the drain.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Francis" <francisbrightman@rwfts.com> wrote in message
>I know this is an old model but I still use it and I think its great.
> However, I have a bit of a problem with it that I hope someone can help
> with.
>
> We use the Ipaq and its Navigation sleeve for in car GPS and sometimes
> we leave it there overnight (hidden). In the morning the battery is
> always dead -even though its been switched off. It doesnt seem that
> the car charger charges the battery - though it will provide power to
> the unit.
>
> I charged the unit indoors and it is fine and holds a charge for a good
> while. The battery was replaced recently but I bought it on ebay so who
> knows how good it is!
>
> regards
>
> Francis
>
> http://www.rwfts.com
> Software for Blind Computer Users

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:05:51 PM

As Sven points out, check the charger (most have led's, plus the
charging led on the ipaq) after you turn the ignition switch off.

Some cars now also have more than one cigarette lighter due to the
increased demand of mobile devices, and, in those cases, normally one
stays powered on while the other powers down when the ignition is off.

I would also suspect that the "navigation sleeve" continues to power the
gps receiver even if the ipaq is turned off and assume that the sleeve
would also draw from the ipaq's internal battery when it had the need.

Finally, is the 3660 battery the original? If so, I would replace it as
it is at or near the end of it's life based on observations of ppc's
from that "era" which are still in operation.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:06:32 PM

sorry... just saw that the battery is new.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!