File Metadata on Hover

A user reports that she used to be able to see the Metadata for a given Word
doc simply by hovering her mouse over the file name in Windows Explorer. Now
all she
sees in the resulting hover window is a box that says "Microsoft Word
Document" and the file size. What can I do to make it such that the Author,
Subject, Title etc from the document properties summary show again? She used
to have Windows 98 with Office 2000. Now she is using XP with Office XP...

Thanks.

Steve,

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*

Backup the key by exporting to a REG file.

In the right-pane, double-click InfoTip value and set it's data as follows:

prop:Type;DocAuthor;DocTitle;DocSubject;DocComments;Write;Size

If this problem occurs when accessing a network share, post back. There is a
different registry value that you need to modify, in that case.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Steve Fusco" <SFusco@n0spam.maguiregroup.com> wrote in message
>A user reports that she used to be able to see the Metadata for a given
>Word
> doc simply by hovering her mouse over the file name in Windows Explorer.
> Now all she
> sees in the resulting hover window is a box that says "Microsoft Word
> Document" and the file size. What can I do to make it such that the
> Author,
> Subject, Title etc from the document properties summary show again? She
> used
> to have Windows 98 with Office 2000. Now she is using XP with Office XP...
>
> Thanks.

Thanks! It is a network share - so could you please provide me with that
registry fix, as well?

ToolTips do not display complete information about files that are located on
a network share:
http://www.winxptutor.com/quicktip.htm

--

> Thanks! It is a network share - so could you please provide me with that
> registry fix, as well?

That worked like a charm. Thank you so much.

You're very welcome Steve.