Help. New computer built.

Strictlym3

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Hi,

I just got finished building my comp. and put in my old hdd drive. This is my first time ever building one and when I tried to boot to XP I keep getting the.. windows did not start normally would you to go into safe mode... screen. It'll try to boot then it would restart itself again and I get stuck in this vicious cycle.

My old hdd came from a sony vaio computer and the built system is an msi p6n sli board. Does anything have to do with the chipset driver?

Any ideas why I can't get XP to load?

Thanks in advance

sturm

Splendid
Xp is trying to load the chipset drivers for the sony board.
If you can get into safe mode you can try uninstalling all the drivers for the motherboard and then uninstall the device. Reboot and let windows redetect them. If this doesnt work try a repair install of windows.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
You are always best off doing a clean, full format, install of Windows with a new motherboard but be sure to back everything up if you do not have your data on a separate hard drive or partition. I've deleted all the drivers prior to installing a hdd with a new mobo to see if it would work, it did, but then I did a clean install