1 GHz Splitter Question

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 11, 2004 3:01:48 PM

We recently got an HDTV and have it hooked up to an HD cable box
(Scientific Atlanta).We're connecting both a cable modem and the
HD cable box through a garden variety splitter.

I've read that for such a setup,a 1 GHz splitter is best...and
we've found one in the house.However this splitter has three
outputs....one 4 db output and two 8 db outputs.

I'm wondering if,in order to minimize signal loss,I should use
the 1 GHz splitter or the other one (which I suspect is cheap
and inferior)? And if the 1 GHz is better,are the 8 db outputs
superior,or is it the other way around?

Thanks!

More about : ghz splitter question

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:01:49 PM

If all is working fine I would just leave it alone. If you wish to
experiment, I would hook the box to the 4 Db (less signal loss) and the
modem to an 8 Db port. If the modem acts up, reverse the connections. Do not
forget to cap the port you do not use.

"Janet" <nobodyhome@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> We recently got an HDTV and have it hooked up to an HD cable box
> (Scientific Atlanta).We're connecting both a cable modem and the
> HD cable box through a garden variety splitter.
>
> I've read that for such a setup,a 1 GHz splitter is best...and
> we've found one in the house.However this splitter has three
> outputs....one 4 db output and two 8 db outputs.
>
> I'm wondering if,in order to minimize signal loss,I should use
> the 1 GHz splitter or the other one (which I suspect is cheap
> and inferior)? And if the 1 GHz is better,are the 8 db outputs
> superior,or is it the other way around?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 4:01:53 PM

Janet (nobodyhome@myhouse.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I've read that for such a setup,a 1 GHz splitter is best...and
> we've found one in the house.However this splitter has three
> outputs....one 4 db output and two 8 db outputs.

That's a really *bad* splitter design.

A 3-way splitter should have one of:

- All three outputs at -5.8dB
- One -3.5dB and two at -7dB

The lower the number, the better, because it indicates the amount of
reduction in signal. A perfect splitter would be -3dB because that
indicates exactly 1/2 the signal is getting through to each leg.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/TeriHatcher.g...

If the present set up (cheap 2 way) is working fine leave it alone, if
you choose to try the other splitter you should terminate the unused
port, you can get a 75ohm load from Radio Shack or probably Wal-Mart.
The larger the number in db as applied to splitters gives you more
loss, if you don't need more than 2 ports you will have extra loss from
a splitter with more ports.

--
rcbridge
December 11, 2004 10:45:46 PM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:13:11 -0500, rcbridge
<rcbridge.1h49bk@satelliteguys.us> wrote:

>If the present set up (cheap 2 way) is working fine leave it alone, if
>you choose to try the other splitter you should terminate the unused
>port, you can get a 75ohm load from Radio Shack or probably Wal-Mart.
>The larger the number in db as applied to splitters gives you more
>loss, if you don't need more than 2 ports you will have extra loss from
>a splitter with more ports.

a cap for an unused port is a 75ohm load ?
eg a 75ohm resistor across a connector ?
December 12, 2004 6:53:35 AM

<louie_s@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o kfnr0p0a7fsqcbd2tqd4br5lfbm586k9i@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:13:11 -0500, rcbridge
> <rcbridge.1h49bk@satelliteguys.us> wrote:
>

>>If the present set up (cheap 2 way) is working fine leave it alone, if
>>you choose to try the other splitter you should terminate the unused
>>port, you can get a 75ohm load from Radio Shack or probably Wal-Mart.
>>The larger the number in db as applied to splitters gives you more
>>loss, if you don't need more than 2 ports you will have extra loss from
>>a splitter with more ports.
>

> a cap for an unused port is a 75ohm load ?
> eg a 75ohm resistor across a connector ?

E.G. http://www.castledatacom.com/75ohmf.html

Pat
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 1:01:26 PM

"Janet" <nobodyhome@myhouse.com> wrote in message
> We recently got an HDTV and have it hooked up to an HD cable box
> (Scientific Atlanta).We're connecting both a cable modem and the
> HD cable box through a garden variety splitter.
>
> I've read that for such a setup,a 1 GHz splitter is best...and
> we've found one in the house.However this splitter has three
> outputs....one 4 db output and two 8 db outputs.
>
> I'm wondering if,in order to minimize signal loss,I should use
> the 1 GHz splitter or the other one (which I suspect is cheap
> and inferior)? And if the 1 GHz is better,are the 8 db outputs
> superior,or is it the other way around?
>
> Thanks!

That's loss not output level. There is a drop in signal level equal to the
# printed by the fitting. So with a +10m db signal input the outputs would
be 6db and 2 db respectively in your description.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 9:58:29 PM

Jeff:

What you are seeing is minus 4 dB and minus 8db, meaning the signal at
the -4dB terminal is about one half of the input and the signals at the -8dB
terminals are about 1/4. So use the -4dB output for the strongest signal.

David

!