Best 939 motherboard

macadami

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I upgraded from a athlon 64 3200+ to a fx-60 on an asus a8n-sli board about a year ago, and now want to buy another 939 motherboard to stick my old chip in for an htpc. I'm not sure if i should buy a good gaming motherboard for my main system and just move the a8n into my other box or if I should look for a quiet, stable board for the htpc. I was one of the unlucky few who bought an a8n right when they came out who's northbridge fan died off on them, and just to get my system back and running i added a little fan tacked ontop of the old heatsink/fan arrangement and have always wondered if maybe that caused any damage or is holding me back overclocking wise.

Anyways my main pc is an fx 60, 2 gigs of ram, 8800 gts 320, 2 300gb maxtor sata drives in a lian li pc65b and my htpc parts are a 3200+ 1.5gigs of ram and a 6600gt in a lian li pc60 any advice will be appreciated

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'm using an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, which is a nice board. The problem you're going to run into is what 939 boards are still available. If you're in the US, check out newegg for 939 boards. If you're in another country, check out where ever you buy. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything but an unopen retail board unless it was from someone I new and really trusted

macadami

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
well there's still quite a few on newegg, i live in east texas btw. So did they fix the fan problem in the later versions of the a8n? Mine is an a8n-sli deluxe. I've had absolutely zero problems from it since i added a fan, not fantasitcal but very stable. I guess my real question is, were there any great 939 gaming boards that would warrant chaning my gaming pc's board or should i just buy a decent one and stick it in my htpc?

Neotriple

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Hey Maca,

Sorry to hear about the problem you had with your A8n board. Anyways, ever since I finished my first build nearly a year ago, [Socket 939], I have been using my A8n-32-sli deluxe. It works like a CHARM. I have not had any manufacturer problems since I have received it. I have a 4400+ with a 7-series graphics card, all run at stock. It's very stable, I have not had a problem [that is the manufacturers fault, mostly someone around my house]. What I would do is, put the A8n-32 sli Deluxe in your gaming machine, and put the one you are currently using into your htcp.

Last I checked [a couple days ago], Newegg still had them in stock for a price about 140$ In fact, here's a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131568

I hope I provided you with a good answer.

Hey, I have almost the exact same system!

I doubt that you will really notice a difference between the A8N-SLI and the A8N-32 SLI, the only main difference is if you have SLI, both cards will run at 16x vs 8x. Still though, for $140 you might as well, and the 32 has really cool (looking and running) heatpipes if I remember correctly. What is the rest of your system?

I also had to replace the fan, and when I RMA'ed because SLI failed, they replaced my replacement with another.