I think my PSU is busted.

Kris2456

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
This problem started a few days ago. I went to turn my PC on, but when i pressed the on button it did absolutely nothing. It just doesn't turn on at all. Below are some observations and things i have tried already:

Tried:
- Checked the cable was plugged in
- Checked the mains
- Tried a different socket/ cable
- Cleared BIOS
- Pulled battery
- Shorted the power jumper

Observations:
- A small LED on my mobo is on when the cable is plugged in.
- When i flip the switch at the back of my PSU, sometimes all of the fans in the system will briefly flutter (they have lights on them) and the PSU fan will start to spin quietly.

All of this leads me to believe that the PSU is providing some sort of power since the LED's are on. But for some reason the PC just wont turn on at all. It also could be the mobo i guess but i cannot think of any more ways to check this.

My specs:
ASUS A8n premium mobo
A64 3200 processor
2GB corsair RAM
GeForce 7800GT
Hiper R-Type 480W PSU.

Thanks in advance.

Kris2456

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Right, so i followed the advice with shorting the pins (quite cool acctually) and i think that the PSU is indeed busted.

So once i turned it on, the fan spun which sounded good. But when i tried attaching any devices to it, it had no effect. I got out a multimeter and checked the molex connectors (one probe into the ground, the other into the red/yellow wires) and found that there was no voltage across these rails.

So im pretty sure im in the market for another PSU, but if the mobo is faulty i will have to find out later (I hope to god its not because then i will have to step up my upgrade plans).

In the mean time, can anyone recommend me a good PSU. I am leaning towards going with Hiper again but i need a PSU which will (in the future) support a 8800GTX. What wattage should i be looking for.

Thanks for the help.