No signal on 119 (B) Satellite?

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 11, 2004 10:59:12 PM

I have an oval 3 LNB Direct TV dish and receive strong signals (97+) on
all 32 transponders for the A satellite (101) and receive strong
signals for transponders 8, 10, and 12 for Satellite C (110) but no
signal at all on sat B (119). I don't know what I'm missing since my
HDTV reception is strong (e.g., channel 82). I do not have an external
antenna so I do not get the locals in HD (I'm in the suburban Chicago
area). The Direct TV tech people say don't fix it if it is not broke
but I'm not satisfied with that answer. I have ordered another LNB
triple feed multiswitch component from e-bay ($25) thinking that
perhaps my original LNB was defective. My question is why do I not
get the B signal? Am I missing anything? Could it be that my dish is
not positioned correctly (the tech person said that if two of the three
sats get strong signals then it is probably positioned correctly). My
system consists of the Hughes Direct TV HD Tivo DVR, Panasonic 42"
Plasma, Teac Audio receive. I am using two of the three multiswitch
ports (two to the Hughes and one to another Samsung Direct TV HD
receiver in another room (secondary).

More about : signal 119 satellite

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 8:00:57 AM

even though you say the signal meter shows no signal, when you tune to a
channel carried on 119 does it come in?

70 HBO-HD
73 ESPN-HD
74 Universal-HD
76 Discovery-HD
79 HDNet
81 CBS-HD
90-96 NFL ST-HD
99 PPV-HD
455 CCTV9
511 HBO Latino

When testing with the signal meter for 119 to my knowledge only
transponders 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 31, and 32 are active, and not
all will be active in your area because they are allocated to spot
beamed local into local services.

--
charper1
December 12, 2004 9:34:14 AM

Thanks for reply. On all of those channels I do get some kind of
display. It shows the banner in color across the top with the station
logo, title, time, date, HD logo, etc. All the usual banner info. The
rest of the screen is black with a little message box at the bottom
which says either "For ordering info call customer srvice ..." or
"Searching for sattelite signal please stand by..." On channels 91-93
the screen is blue with a large Direct-TV logo. I do not subscribe to
the Direct-TV HD supplemental package that is required to receive most
of the those stations. I do get HD receiption for 81 (CBS NYC) and 82
(CBS NYC).
So, does this indicate that I am receiving a signal from sat 119? If
so, any idea why the the signal tests indicate that satelitte B is not
available.
thanks
December 12, 2004 10:48:28 AM

In article <1102862054.154290.176370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
alxyz@mac.com says...
> So, does this indicate that I am receiving a signal from sat 119? If
> so, any idea why the the signal tests indicate that satelitte B is not
> available.
> thanks

Try receiving test channels 490-494. In particular, 492 and 493 are
from Sat B. This will tell you which sats you are hearing. If you
can't get either 492 or 493, then suspect your dish alignment. If
you get one but not the other, that would suggest a receiver problem.
If you get both but can't get the content channels, call DirecTV;
that would imply your account isn't set up properly.

/Chris, AA6SQ
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:16:21 AM

Thanks, I just tried that for those five channels. On all of them the
banner in color displayed across top of screen with the remainder of
screen black except for gray message box at bottom. Messages were:
490 - Test 1 Sat A (101) odd Txp 13V
491 - Test 2 Sat A (101) even Txp 18V
492 - Searching for signal. Please stand by.
493 - Searching for signal. Please stand by.
494 - Test 5 Sat C (110) even Txp 18V

Appears then that I am not receiving the 119 (B) satellite.

Questons:
This means I need to fine tune the dish alignment, correct?
Is there no Sat C 13V channel? When I try channel 405 I get the
Searching for signal..." message.
What is channels are carried on the 119 satellite?
Appreciate the help.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:01:53 PM

In article <1102868181.524513.246170@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
alxyz@mac.com says...
> Thanks, I just tried that for those five channels. On all of them the
> banner in color displayed across top of screen with the remainder of
> screen black except for gray message box at bottom. Messages were:
> 490 - Test 1 Sat A (101) odd Txp 13V
> 491 - Test 2 Sat A (101) even Txp 18V
> 492 - Searching for signal. Please stand by.
> 493 - Searching for signal. Please stand by.
> 494 - Test 5 Sat C (110) even Txp 18V
>
> Appears then that I am not receiving the 119 (B) satellite.
>
> Questons:
> This means I need to fine tune the dish alignment, correct?
> Is there no Sat C 13V channel? When I try channel 405 I get the
> Searching for signal..." message.
> What is channels are carried on the 119 satellite?
> Appreciate the help.

You are correct - you appear not to be receiving 119 at all. DirecTV
shares 110 with Dish, and only leases "even" transponders on that
sat; that is why there is no 495.

Since you are getting 101 and 110, the general alignement of your
dish seems pretty close. I'd check the tilt setting first -- this
rotates the dish in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction around
its central axis. If the tilt is off, I'd expect 101 to be weaker
than 110. If you can adjust the tilt to maximize 101 while keeping
110 as is, that may set you up to get 119. Or just make small
adjustments until you hear something on 492/3.

/Chris, AA6SQ
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:10:06 PM

Thanks Crhis, I'll try that this afternoon. The wife is after me to go
xmas shopping at the moment.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:13:36 PM

Thanks Chris, I'll try that this afternoon. The wife is after me to go
xmas shopping at the moment. I'll post my results.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:25:18 PM

In article <1102871406.544576.131140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
alxyz@mac.com says...
> Thanks Crhis, I'll try that this afternoon. The wife is after me to go
> xmas shopping at the moment.

Another possibility is that you have an obstruction between your dish
and 119 that's not blocking 101/110. This could be something like a
building or trees. If there is an overhanging roof, it might be in
the way -- the signal path between the dish and the sat is a lot
higher than it seems. The feed (LNB) is offset, so it is below the
center of the dish. The signal path therefore offset above the
center of the dish by the same amount.

Standing behind the dish, 110 is straight ahead, 101 is to the left,
and 119 is to the right. 101/119 are about 15 degrees off the
direction to 110.

What's your zip code? Note that once a month the moon lines up
exactly where the sats are; if it is obstructed, so are the sats.

/Chris
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:46:47 PM

Got back from shopping and tried fine tuning the dish alignment but
nothing changed. With the Signal Strength Test Matrix I get the
following:
Sat A - strong signal on all transponders except 4, 12, 20 which are
n/a.
Sat B - n/a on all transponders
Sat C - strong signal for 8, 10, 12 all others are n/a

charper1 - Apparently my system is capable of receiving HD signals when
it is available. For example, channel 83, the nyc nbc feed is HD and I
get it fine. I think the channel 219 (Direct TV news) is also HD at
least it looks like HD reception. The Chicago locals are on 101 (I
think) and I do receive them but to get them in HD you need an
external antenna which cannot be installed here.
At this point I am going to wait for the new triple LNB to arrive and
try it. If there is still no change then I just leave
well-enough-alone as it appears I'm not missing out on anything. Still
puzzled by why I get no signal at all on the 119 sat.
BTW, does anyone know when Direct TV will be delivering the Chicago
locals in HD?
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 5:37:20 PM

You are getting signal, sounds like you just don't subscribe. So only
free stuff will cause your receiver to "see" the signal. Odd that you
have a PhaseIII dish installed without any HD services. Chicago locals
are all on the main 101 satellite, right?

--
charper1
December 12, 2004 6:12:03 PM

alxyz (alxyz@mac.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Appears then that I am not receiving the 119 (B) satellite.
>
> Questons:
> This means I need to fine tune the dish alignment, correct?

There's also the possibility that your 119 LNB is hosed.

If you are checking dish alignment anyway, you could test if the LNB is
OK by swapping the A and B LNB (the two outside ones).

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/CDChristmasLi...

How do I swap these? Do they just unscrew?
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:21:23 AM

alxyz (alxyz@mac.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> How do I swap these? Do they just unscrew?

Yep.

There is a bolt and nut straight down through the end of the LNB holding
it to the dish arm.

Remove it, then pull the LNB out and disconnect the cables (you *should*
have enough play in the cables to do this). Swap the LNBs and re-install.
Don't worry about keeping the two cables to each LNB straight...the LNB
and mulitswitch figure out how it is hooked up (in a sense).

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/TiVoAndBeer.gif

Chris Thomas wrote:

> Note that once a month the moon lines up exactly where the sats are;
> if it is obstructed, so are the sats.

That's not the case. About once a month, the Moon will be at the same
azimuth (compass heading), since both it and the satellites are in the
southern sky, but the Moon's altitude (or elevation) at a given azimuth
can vary by more than 50 degrees over the course of a year.

- Ernie http://home.comcast.net/~erniew
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 8:15:14 PM

I wrote:

> Chris Thomas wrote:
>
>> Note that once a month the moon lines up exactly where the sats are;
>> if it is obstructed, so are the sats.
>
> That's not the case. About once a month, the Moon will be at the same
> azimuth (compass heading), since both it and the satellites are in the
> southern sky, but [...]

I had a chance to think about this over the holidays. Not that it's
very important, but my answer was wrong and it bugged me.

The Moon actually crosses a given (southern) azimuth about every 25
hours or so, not once a month. The Earth's rotation carries it westward
across the sky once a day, of course, but it also moves a bit eastward
in its orbit in that time.

It's not obvious how often the Moon gets close to the (fixed) position
of one of the geosynchronous satellites. The answer will depend on
one's definition of "close" (or "lines up exactly"). It's also not
trivial to calculate.

If we define "close" as two Moon diameters on either side, the answer
appears to be five or six times a year. For my location, the dates and
times (and corresponding altitudes) in 2005 are

101.0 W: alt, az = 38.25, 215.41

38.25 27 Feb 4:24 am
38.29 13 Jul 7:21 pm
38.21 21 Aug 3:26 am
37.76 3 Oct 2:00 pm
38.23 14 Oct 11:50 pm

110.0 W: alt, az = 33.25, 226.00

32.97 27 Feb 5:05 am
33.02 13 Jul 8:02 pm
33.38 21 Aug 4:07 am
32.44 3 Oct 2:41 pm
33.39 15 Oct 12:30 am
34.20 24 Dec 9:01 am

119.0 W: alt, az = 27.40, 235.13

26.79 27 Feb 5:47 am
26.42 27 Jun 8:22 am
26.85 13 Jul 8:43 pm
27.71 21 Aug 4:47 am
27.72 15 Oct 1:10 am
28.12 24 Dec 9:42 am

- Ernie http://home.comcast.net/~erniew
Anonymous
September 16, 2009 3:06:19 PM

ARE U HIRERING IN MIDDLE TOWN N.Y. :sarcastic:
!