Huge problem with new system

niblem

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Basically, I just got all the parts for my new system and put them all in the case and booted up for the first time. Everything was perfectly fine, BIOS booted, temperatures were great (CPU 29c, mobo 34c, etc) and everything looked fine.

The only thing I change were the RAM timings, BIOS was showing 5-5-5-18, but my RAM were rated 4-4-4-12 so I changed that and rebooted. BIOS came up fine and showed correct timings. Then, the computer just shut off. No warning or anything. So, I goto turn it back on and it does nothing. No fans turning or anything. So I try again and this is where things go bad. I see a bright flash at the top of the mobo (near the CPU) and smoke. I immediately turn off the power and assess the damage. There is a lot of smoke but no visible damage. So this is where I am, I didn't try turning it on again or anything like that.

So basically, what do you recommend I do? Have I fried everything and lost it all or is there something I can do? Thanks ....

Basically, I just got all the parts for my new system and put them all in the case and booted up for the first time. Everything was perfectly fine, BIOS booted, temperatures were great (CPU 29c, mobo 34c, etc) and everything looked fine.

The only thing I change were the RAM timings, BIOS was showing 5-5-5-18, but my RAM were rated 4-4-4-12 so I changed that and rebooted. BIOS came up fine and showed correct timings. Then, the computer just shut off. No warning or anything. So, I goto turn it back on and it does nothing. No fans turning or anything. So I try again and this is where things go bad. I see a bright flash at the top of the mobo (near the CPU) and smoke. I immediately turn off the power and assess the damage. There is a lot of smoke but no visible damage. So this is where I am, I didn't try turning it on again or anything like that.

So basically, what do you recommend I do? Have I fried everything and lost it all or is there something I can do? Thanks ....

Before the sparks and smoke occured, you could just reset the CMOS jumper and boot back into BIOS and reset the RAM timings. Take out the battery and unplug the power supply when you reset the jumper. But now, you should probably disassemble the system and take the MB out. Look for burn marks (brown or gold burn marks) on your MB. Inspect both front and backside of the MB. If it is burnt, you neeed to RMA it. Any number of components could have been damaged including, CPU, video card, RAM, etc. Try your video card and RAM in another system and see if they survived. HTH.

niblem

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Front of mobo looks ok. That back doesn't look burnt per say, but you can see where the smoke was and etc. I guess I'll just RMA it back. I hope everything survived, because I don't think they accept everything back for replacement (newegg)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts