file transfer help!! xp to vista

unbridled

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
I need help transferring simple files like music and documents over to vista using only a ethernet cable. The computers are linked directly with the cable and each of the workgroups are labeled as "MSHOME" but neither computer will recognize, or see, the other computer. Am I forgetting to do something because this should be fairly simple. Don't suggest the Vista Easy Transfer thing because I do not have the CD to install in on my XP computer nor the cable (which should just be another ethernet cable right?). Anyways, this is driving me crazy so please help!

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
You might need to make sure file sharing is switched on.. you could try running the network wizard on both machines..

Alternatively you could give both machines a static ip address..

e.g.

xp machine:
ip address 10.10.10.2
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.10.10.1

vista machine:
ip address 10.10.10.3
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 10.10.10.1

you should then be able to see each machine.. you could explore to a machine by going into run and typing \\"pc name"\\c$

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I need help transferring simple files like music and documents over to vista using only a ethernet cable. The computers are linked directly with the cable and each of the workgroups are labeled as "MSHOME" but neither computer will recognize, or see, the other computer. Am I forgetting to do something because this should be fairly simple. Don't suggest the Vista Easy Transfer thing because I do not have the CD to install in on my XP computer nor the cable (which should just be another ethernet cable right?). Anyways, this is driving me crazy so please help!

Um... is this a cross over cable? Otherwise, it will not work. You'll have to hook up to a network hub in order to see each other. That or go and buy a cross over cable. But even after you buy a cross over cable, you'll still have to mess around with the IP.

Better yet, just go buy yourself a router :wink:

dosjotas

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I'm also trying to connect a XP laptop and a Vista laptop by means of a crossover cable. I've tried the steps mentioned above but I can't get it to work. I seems they are connected: I can see the Vista from the XP, but I can't access it. I can't the see the XP from the Vista, though.

I've tried the same on two XP computers and I have not problems. I guess it must be something with Vista.

Any other suggestions that will make the crossover connection work??

mazuk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
>Network and discovery centre>make sure file sharing and make this network private are on> and make sure all the relevant files are being shared other the network