INHD / INHD2 Comcast Nashville

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 12, 2004 1:42:37 AM

Hey everyone.

Just got hooked up with Comcast HD Thursday. I'm currently using the
DVR box...I guess it's the "new" Motorola model with the dual tuners.
Been watching (and loving) DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD. No problems there.
INHD and INHD2 appear to suffer from constant pixelation problems.
Been reading through some of the posts on here in regards to the issue
and the general consensus seems to be that I might be out of luck in
actually getting this resolved. Am I correct in this? Anyone else in
the Nashville area (I'm north of town in H'ville) experiencing this
problem? I really don't want to have a tech come out here, scratch
his head, and try going through 3 or 4 different cable boxes in a
gambling attempt to solve the problem. I'm also just really doubting
that it would be the box.

What is the current belief in the cause of this? Could it possibly be
a weak signal on my end that they can boost? I've read here that
perhaps it's On Demand chewing up the bandwidth. If that was the
case, wouldn't this impact Discovery and ESPN? Again, my wife and I
have watched countless hours of these channels over the last few days
without a problem, but the minute it goes to INHD it's near instant
pixelation. I have managed to record a few segments that exhibit the
problem so if I do call a tech out he can see exactly what I'm talking
about and not think I'm crazy. :)

Any help/suggestions/etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Tom
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:04:08 AM

I doubt if it is a weak signal given that everything else works. I would
get the tech to come out anyway. They could at least verify that the signal
is strong. It is probably not your box either since the other HD channels
work fine. It would be interesting to know if any other Comcast users in
your area are experiencing the same issue though.

Jeff

"Tom" <tom_stevens26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone.
>
> Just got hooked up with Comcast HD Thursday. I'm currently using the
> DVR box...I guess it's the "new" Motorola model with the dual tuners.
> Been watching (and loving) DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD. No problems there.
> INHD and INHD2 appear to suffer from constant pixelation problems.
> Been reading through some of the posts on here in regards to the issue
> and the general consensus seems to be that I might be out of luck in
> actually getting this resolved. Am I correct in this? Anyone else in
> the Nashville area (I'm north of town in H'ville) experiencing this
> problem? I really don't want to have a tech come out here, scratch
> his head, and try going through 3 or 4 different cable boxes in a
> gambling attempt to solve the problem. I'm also just really doubting
> that it would be the box.
>
> What is the current belief in the cause of this? Could it possibly be
> a weak signal on my end that they can boost? I've read here that
> perhaps it's On Demand chewing up the bandwidth. If that was the
> case, wouldn't this impact Discovery and ESPN? Again, my wife and I
> have watched countless hours of these channels over the last few days
> without a problem, but the minute it goes to INHD it's near instant
> pixelation. I have managed to record a few segments that exhibit the
> problem so if I do call a tech out he can see exactly what I'm talking
> about and not think I'm crazy. :)
>
> Any help/suggestions/etc. would be greatly appreciated.
> Tom
December 12, 2004 11:44:01 AM

I just finished a ten week exercise with Comcast in the Detroit area
with HD pixellation. Turned out to be a hardware fault with their
equipment at a nearby node.

The point, though, is that pixellation was the worst on channels with
high resolution and/or substantial movement in the picture. I guess it
has something to do with decoding a lot of constantly changing bits and
bytes.

INHD broadcasts a lot of highly detailed pictures, and my experience was
that when I had pixellation, I had it on INHD if I had it anywhere.

I'd suggest you "get your money's worth" and take it up with Comcast.
It may be a signal strenth issue within your house (bad connections,
poor use of splitters, bad cable) or something outside your house at the
drop or upstream at a node. INHD is SUCH a good channel (always my demo
channel for people who haven't seen HDTV) you shouldn't put up with
pixellation.

Rich

Tom wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> Just got hooked up with Comcast HD Thursday. I'm currently using the
> DVR box...I guess it's the "new" Motorola model with the dual tuners.
> Been watching (and loving) DiscoveryHD and ESPNHD. No problems there.
> INHD and INHD2 appear to suffer from constant pixelation problems.
> Been reading through some of the posts on here in regards to the issue
> and the general consensus seems to be that I might be out of luck in
> actually getting this resolved. Am I correct in this? Anyone else in
> the Nashville area (I'm north of town in H'ville) experiencing this
> problem? I really don't want to have a tech come out here, scratch
> his head, and try going through 3 or 4 different cable boxes in a
> gambling attempt to solve the problem. I'm also just really doubting
> that it would be the box.
>
> What is the current belief in the cause of this? Could it possibly be
> a weak signal on my end that they can boost? I've read here that
> perhaps it's On Demand chewing up the bandwidth. If that was the
> case, wouldn't this impact Discovery and ESPN? Again, my wife and I
> have watched countless hours of these channels over the last few days
> without a problem, but the minute it goes to INHD it's near instant
> pixelation. I have managed to record a few segments that exhibit the
> problem so if I do call a tech out he can see exactly what I'm talking
> about and not think I'm crazy. :)
>
> Any help/suggestions/etc. would be greatly appreciated.
> Tom
December 13, 2004 1:06:25 AM

Well, problem solved. I called Comcast this morning expecting them to
schedule someone to come out this week. To my (pleasant!) surprise,
she said she could have someone out today (Sunday) between noon and
4pm. Sure enough, the tech showed up about 3:30 and confirmed it was
a signal issue. He hooked up an amplifier and it cleared everything
right up. Watched several shows on INHD2 tonight (while recording a
show on DiscoverHD) and they all look great!!!

Best customer service I've ever received from Comcast!!!

Tom

!