Sign in with
Your question

possible virus

Last response: in Windows XP
May 26, 2007 3:55:43 AM

helping out a boss with his computer issue(unable to install a program), I found his user account had been changed to a user limited account. network logon to administrator no longer works, even though i gave it no password when installing his OS(xp w sp2) and had installed a program just yesterday on it. he says he had not changed anything, i doubt he would know how, and his other two accounts that were previously admins, are now limited. what could have caused this, and is there a possible fix? never encountered this problem before

thanks for any input

More about : virus

May 26, 2007 4:22:25 AM

yeah strange, i've seen a lot, but never this before. i checked with the boss, and he did hit an open wi-fi hotspot for about an hour today during lunch. no other time was it on any network. i'll try nod32 and be back in a minute. thanks

well, nevrmind. im crazy to think a limited account could install any new software. the pc is now running an updated AVG. any other suggestions?
Related resources
May 26, 2007 4:42:06 AM

check his event ID for those days and see what you see
May 26, 2007 5:35:00 AM

only thing from today, period, is the network controller starting and stopping around lunch time
May 26, 2007 5:51:42 AM

booted into safe mode w/cmd prompt and starting new task of explorer was only way to get in. oddly, the logon for administrator appeared, with no password protection. doing a restore point now. wish it luck
May 26, 2007 6:18:04 AM

good luck
Anonymous
May 26, 2007 11:26:42 AM

If this computer is a member of a Windows Domain, the Administrator account more then likely has a password if you're logging in through the Domain. You shouldn't have used the local Administrator account.

Grumpy
May 26, 2007 1:49:25 PM

nah, its not on a domain, just the generic WORKGROUP. when i set the OS up, i specifically gave the admin account no password. system restore did nothing. so, i booted into safe mode, and got the admin account as a selection @xp logon. one click, no password, and i was in. i reset all the user accounts back to where they were before, and rebooted. everything stuck. but i still would like to know what it was that caused the problem. scanned the system with symantec antivirus corp edition, ad-aware se(the bought version) and with spybot s&d, but found nothing with any of them. strange. the only logical explanation was someone physically got into the pc OS and made thoise changes, since only one of the acccounts remained as admin, but was now PW protected. in any case, i conqueres this latest issue in stride

thanks for all the help
!