Worried to death about memory compabitility!

Buzzkraft

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
Hello,

I just got a MSI P6N-Sli and I don´t understand about memory voltage, cas, timings, etc. I live in Brazil and I´m going to buy on US, so I can´t afford the risk of uncompatibility.

I just want to buy a 2x1gb dual channel kit that will work for sure and flawlessly , or the less risky, for this mobo.

Is there such a memory?

Thank you!

Mondoman

Splendid
Here are a few ideas:
1) Look at the MB manufacturer's web site to see what memory modules they have tested to work with the MB.
2) Use one of the major memory manufacturer's web site "memory configurators" to choose the module.
3) Do not choose a module that is spec'd at higher than 1.8V (for DDR2).

TMSter

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Hello, once agian i recommend the geil. geil

It is on your motherboard compatibility list too. Which you can find here.
compatibility
Just so you know where i got it from:msi

:p
This ram is usually recommended to have 1.9 to 2.3 volts it will tell you on the hologram sticker on the ram when you get it. I have mine running at 1.91. I have a different motherboard though. I have the evga 590 board(amd). It also works well in the ds3 gigabyte board.(intel) Hope all this helps ya. :p

Buzzkraft

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
But the thing is: if you look in MSI's motherboard compatibility list for a 2x1GB DDR2 Kit, you won´t find any! Nothing, nada.

On the other hand, at Kingston, I found Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N5K2/2G - OEM.

But it´s a little bit pricey for the product (US$130,00)

The Geil recommended one also isn´t listed as compatible.

Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) is only US$10,00 more but it´s not listed!!

So I think the best is go risk free, right??

Mondoman

Splendid
But the thing is: if you look in MSI's motherboard compatibility list for a 2x1GB DDR2 Kit, you won´t find any!
Of course, since a kit is just 2 identical modules sold together.

...The Geil recommended one also isn´t listed as compatible.
It's on the list that TM linked to in his post (page 8 of the list).

Mondoman

Splendid
I'm glad Chuck had a good experience with VS, but I'd strongly suggest using a different brand if you're going to go with "value" memory. ValueSelect is the worst of the value lines (just contracted out to the cheapest bidder), no better than generic RAM (except, of course, that it has a lifetime warranty backed by Corsair). Kingston's ValueRAM, for one, has a good reputation for compatibility.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
That's my cheap alternative to OP but if he can there's always the XMS which is good as well. But since he mention he does not want to overclock then a cheap reliable sticks would be a good choice. From my experience I have been buying Kingston, Patriot and Corsair and all of them have never failed me.

Buzzkraft

Distinguished
May 1, 2007
I see, now I get it.

But tell me something: on MSI´s report, it says that Kington Hyper is OK.

And then on Kingston´s report, it says it is the ValueRam. So which one is true, or both are??

If both are and considering HyperX is only US$10,00 more, do you recommend the "upgrade"?

Thanks a lot

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I see, now I get it.

But tell me something: on MSI´s report, it says that Kington Hyper is OK.

And then on Kingston´s report, it says it is the ValueRam. So which one is true, or both are??

If both are and considering HyperX is only US$10,00 more, do you recommend the "upgrade"?

Thanks a lot
If you arent gonna OC then THIS RAM IS FOR YOU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134046

the best quality and price. Getting ddr2 800 is a MINOR performance difference similar to dual channel. Just get the Kingston its 1.8v and good for the DS3 and Intels P965 also.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I'm glad Chuck had a good experience with VS, but I'd strongly suggest using a different brand if you're going to go with "value" memory. ValueSelect is the worst of the value lines (just contracted out to the cheapest bidder), no better than generic RAM (except, of course, that it has a lifetime warranty backed by Corsair). Kingston's ValueRAM, for one, has a good reputation for compatibility.

Goddammit thats right

go with the big K, ive bought from em 3 times, twice for dells and no issues at all. cant say that for corsair.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Hello,

I just got a MSI P6N-Sli and I don´t understand about memory voltage, cas, timings, etc. I live in Brazil and I´m going to buy on US, so I can´t afford the risk of uncompatibility.

I just want to buy a 2x1gb dual channel kit that will work for sure and flawlessly , or the less risky, for this mobo.

Is there such a memory?

Thank you!

hola senor buzzkraft..., my vote is for Patriot memory, inexpensive high quality.

If you notice my sig I have Dominator memory..., or should I say had. I am RMA'ing my second pair of Dominator memory Monday. I'm Putting the Patriots back in, in the meantime. The odd thing, is the Patriots run at the same speed, but with NO errors...

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hello,

Is there such a memory?

Thank you!

hola senor buzzkraft..., my vote is for Patriot memory, inexpensive high quality.

If you notice my sig I have Dominator memory..., or should I say had. I am RMA'ing my second pair of Dominator memory Monday. I'm Putting the Patriots back in, in the meantime. The odd thing, is the Patriots run at the same speed, but with NO errors...

might it make a bit of difference that he wants to know what memory is COMPATIBLE with his pc? His mobo is quite picky, it like 1.8v and recommending 2.2v ram aint that helpful

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hello,

Is there such a memory?

Thank you!

Just get the damned Kingston Value ram. Its mad cheap and 1.8v and works all around.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Hello,

Is there such a memory?

Thank you!

might it make a bit of difference that he wants to know what memory is COMPATIBLE with his pc? His mobo is quite picky, it like 1.8v and recommending 2.2v ram aint that helpful

Uh, the P6N SLI is a 650i Nvidia chipset board not much different than the 680i, genius. I don't know anywhere that says he needs 1.8v memory because the P6N is..."picky"

I don't think your being real helpful recommending 1.8v mem when his board would best run 2.2 -2.4v mem.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hello,

Is there such a memory?

Thank you!

Uh, the P6N SLI is a 650i Nvidia chipset board not much different than the 680i, genius. I don't know anywhere that says he needs 1.8v memory because the P6N is..."picky"

I don't think your being real helpful recommending 1.8v mem when his board would best run 2.2 -2.4v mem.

If that is the case (too lazy and tired to look it up) then the Patriot ram will do well. Its supposed to OC like a b1tch.
If so then im sorry texas dude, its 130am here and im TIRED

fferree

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Some web sites that help you find memory are; newegg.com, corsair.com and memory4less. These are just a few. Once you know exactly what you need you can shop for the best price.

TMSter

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
kingston, geil will work for sure. The reason you only see one 2 gig in the compatible list is cause that is the only 2gig module that they have compatible like if you use a 2 gig module instead of 4 512mb or 2 1 gig modules. The ram is up to you, but i still stand by geil in my opinion. Hope i helped ya. :wink: Kingston probably be fine though. Just i consider it cheaper ram then geil, from my experiences. Although never had any problems with either.

Mondoman

Splendid
Like any other MB, his MB will "best" run the highest-quality RAM. For a given speed/latency rating, the highest-quality RAM is that that will run it at 1.8V. :wink: