widescreen TV being left on without cable box

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 12, 2004 6:51:03 AM

My wife accidentally left our 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV on last night
without the cable box so it looked like it was off but it actually was on
for 4 hours. Will this hurt our TV in any way? It is a tube TV but it is a
high definition TV as well. It is only 2 months old and I was worried that
it could be damaged in some way. This might seem like a stupid question but
all that you read about burn-in, ect. you get worried especially after you
spend $1500 for one. I would like to know that it isn't damaged.

Thanks...

<><
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 10:59:10 AM

If you lay awake at night worrying about your purchase, you spent too much
money. Quit worrying or get rid of the wife. :-) The television is
unharmed. Now, go buy your wife some flowers for the ill thoughts you had
because you thought she ruined your TV. The wife is much more precious than
a $1500 TV.

Jeff

"The Man From Mars" <deaded77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My wife accidentally left our 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV on last night
> without the cable box so it looked like it was off but it actually was on
> for 4 hours. Will this hurt our TV in any way? It is a tube TV but it is
> high definition TV as well. It is only 2 months old and I was worried
> that
> it could be damaged in some way. This might seem like a stupid question
> but
> all that you read about burn-in, ect. you get worried especially after you
> spend $1500 for one. I would like to know that it isn't damaged.
>
> Thanks...
>
> <><

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:13:03 PM

One of the best answers I've seen on this group in some time,Jeff!

Jim

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham@outdoorlife.local> wrote:

>If you lay awake at night worrying about your purchase, you spent too much
>money. Quit worrying or get rid of the wife. :-) The television is
>unharmed. Now, go buy your wife some flowers for the ill thoughts you had
>because you thought she ruined your TV. The wife is much more precious than
>a $1500 TV.
>
>Jeff
>
>"The Man From Mars" <deaded77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> My wife accidentally left our 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV on last night
>> without the cable box so it looked like it was off but it actually was on
>> for 4 hours. Will this hurt our TV in any way? It is a tube TV but it is
>> high definition TV as well. It is only 2 months old and I was worried
>> that
>> it could be damaged in some way. This might seem like a stupid question
>> but
>> all that you read about burn-in, ect. you get worried especially after you
>> spend $1500 for one. I would like to know that it isn't damaged.
>>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> <><

Related resources
December 12, 2004 8:27:06 PM

> My wife accidentally left our 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV on...

The power company will be a little happier, that's all. Just make
sure you both turn off the TV first, cable box second.

My wife did the same thing.

"Too many remotes!" is her mantra.

"It can't be helped!" is my reply.
December 13, 2004 12:08:25 AM

"RR" <rr@not.net> wrote in message
>> My wife accidentally left our 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV on...
>
> The power company will be a little happier, that's all. Just make
> sure you both turn off the TV first, cable box second.
>
> My wife did the same thing.
>
> "Too many remotes!" is her mantra.
>
> "It can't be helped!" is my reply.

look up Harmony Remotes...

It CAN be helped :-)
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 4:20:45 AM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, The Man From Mars wrote:
> My wife accidentally left our 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV on last night
> without the cable box so it looked like it was off but it actually was on
> for 4 hours. Will this hurt our TV in any way? It is a tube TV but it is a
> high definition TV as well. It is only 2 months old and I was worried that
> it could be damaged in some way. This might seem like a stupid question but
> all that you read about burn-in, ect. you get worried especially after you
> spend $1500 for one. I would like to know that it isn't damaged.

Many TV sets will not be damaged by displaying a black screen. Black is the
absence of an image (although there is usually a slight amount of activity).

My Mitsubishi set detects that there is no signal being received on its input
and turns itself off (after about 5 minutes).
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:05:12 PM

RR wrote:
>>My wife accidentally left our 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV on...
>

> The power company will be a little happier, that's all. Just make
> sure you both turn off the TV first, cable box second.
>
> My wife did the same thing.
>
> "Too many remotes!" is her mantra.
>
> "It can't be helped!" is my reply.

Sony RMVL900.... mmmmm..... One remote to take the place of six. booya!
December 13, 2004 9:22:34 PM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:08:25 -0500, "Mike" <mike@poolsters.on.ca> wrote:

>look up Harmony Remotes...

I'll check it out. So someone has finally built a universal remote
without missing buttons? That's always been the problem with them.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:30:28 AM

Well said, Jeff. To expand a bit, though not so eloquently, this
burn-in risk is overblown, particularly with modern color CRTs. It's
been years since I've seen burn-in on a color CRT, and I work in a TV
facility where they're on about 16 hours a day, sometimes displaying
still frames for long periods (though I try to minimize that). Last
time I saw it was on a Conrac with original phosphors. The tiny black
and whites burn in, but not the color monitors in anything close to
normal use. Displaying black on a CRT does not contribute to burn-in
at all; it just ages the tube a bit, and they last so long that
overnight isn't significant. Even with a worst-case image, a high
contrast still frame, I doubt you'd be able to see any effect in that
length of time.

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham@outdoorlife.local> wrote:

>If you lay awake at night worrying about your purchase, you spent too much
>money. Quit worrying or get rid of the wife. :-) The television is
>unharmed. Now, go buy your wife some flowers for the ill thoughts you had
>because you thought she ruined your TV. The wife is much more precious than
>a $1500 TV.
>
>Jeff
>
>"The Man From Mars" <deaded77@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> My wife accidentally left our 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV on last night
>> without the cable box so it looked like it was off but it actually was on
>> for 4 hours. Will this hurt our TV in any way? It is a tube TV but it is
>> high definition TV as well. It is only 2 months old and I was worried
>> that
>> it could be damaged in some way. This might seem like a stupid question
>> but
>> all that you read about burn-in, ect. you get worried especially after you
>> spend $1500 for one. I would like to know that it isn't damaged.
>>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> <><

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:36:17 PM

My problem with universal remote is that you will always find a remote
button that cannot be mapped to the limited buttons on the universal.
It turns out that I will have a universal that work 90% of the time.
But all my other remotes must stay in the vicinity just in case I need
to get to one of those unique buttons.

I have read about the Harmony, but it does not seem to address my
problem.

I also read about the PRONTO programmable remote which seems promising
because the touch screen is programable in any way you want. You can
design your buttons, your own layout, macros etc. However, many
reviews said it is so difficult to program that it is not worth the
hassle, besides, the remotes may be more expensive than your TV.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:40:39 PM

Black screen means no display. However, most smart TV nowadays will
display a label when it receives no video signal. For example, when my
AV selection is set to Cable, and the cable box is off. The TV will
display a green "CABLE" on the upper left corner. That green word will
cause burn in eventually.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 5:34:54 PM

The harmony has an LCD screen with upto 8 buttons that can be assigned to do
anything that you want (no user programmable macros though, most common
macros are already provided).

"Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My problem with universal remote is that you will always find a remote
> button that cannot be mapped to the limited buttons on the universal.
> It turns out that I will have a universal that work 90% of the time.
> But all my other remotes must stay in the vicinity just in case I need
> to get to one of those unique buttons.
>
> I have read about the Harmony, but it does not seem to address my
> problem.
>
> I also read about the PRONTO programmable remote which seems promising
> because the touch screen is programable in any way you want. You can
> design your buttons, your own layout, macros etc. However, many
> reviews said it is so difficult to program that it is not worth the
> hassle, besides, the remotes may be more expensive than your TV.

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 7:33:46 PM

RR (rr@not.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> So someone has finally built a universal remote
> without missing buttons?

Every single feature of all my devices that have infrared remotes (HDTV
with built-in DirecTV HD tuner, DirecTiVo, 3 VCRs, Sony surround receiver,
Sony CD jukebox, Pioneer LD/DVD combo player, Zektor component video switch,
HTPC) is run by my Sony RM-AV3100 remote.

I have macros that turn off everything and macros tied to each component
button so that if you hold the button, the system sets itself up for
that feature (does things like for DVD sets the TV to component in, sets
the receiver to get sound from the component video switch, and sets the
component video switch to get input from the DVD player).

I haven't found anything it won't control, and I don't have any buttons
that are labeled on thing and do another.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/StupidCoWorkers.gi...

I have a SONY LCD touch screen remote that handles like 10+ devices
from more than 10 years ago. The touch screen buttons are kind of hard
coded, e.g. each button position has two LCD labels that show or hide
depending on the mode of the operation. However, these labels cannot
be changed. I ended up programming some button labelled AUX1 for one
function and AUX2 for another function. It works the first week, but
few weeks later, I have no idea what AUX1 and AUX2 are. Almost all
universal remote falls into the same trap, because the button labels
are fixed. The PRONTO was the only remote that I know of which let you
put any label on the buttons. But it is way too expensive to be
realistic.

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> The harmony has an LCD screen with upto 8 buttons that can be
assigned to do
> anything that you want (no user programmable macros though, most
common
> macros are already provided).
>

> "Caloonese" <caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > My problem with universal remote is that you will always find a
remote
> > button that cannot be mapped to the limited buttons on the
universal.
> > It turns out that I will have a universal that work 90% of the
time.
> > But all my other remotes must stay in the vicinity just in case I
need
> > to get to one of those unique buttons.
> >
> > I have read about the Harmony, but it does not seem to address my
> > problem.
> >
> > I also read about the PRONTO programmable remote which seems
promising
> > because the touch screen is programable in any way you want. You
can
> > design your buttons, your own layout, macros etc. However, many
> > reviews said it is so difficult to program that it is not worth the
> > hassle, besides, the remotes may be more expensive than your TV.

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 8:26:13 PM

On 14 Dec 2004 18:36:17 -0800, in article
<1103078177.579646.114600@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "Caloonese"
<caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote:

>My problem with universal remote is that you will always find a remote
>button that cannot be mapped to the limited buttons on the universal.
>It turns out that I will have a universal that work 90% of the time.
>But all my other remotes must stay in the vicinity just in case I need
>to get to one of those unique buttons.
>
>I have read about the Harmony, but it does not seem to address my
>problem.

The more expensive true universal remotes, including Harmony &
Home Theater Master, ~$70 and up have LCD screens so that you can label
buttons to handle unique functions. You don't need your original
remotes after programming; they learn all functions.
--
Stephen Tu
stephtu@surfbest.net

RR wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:08:25 -0500, "Mike" <mike@poolsters.on.ca> wrote:
>

>>look up Harmony Remotes...
>

> I'll check it out. So someone has finally built a universal remote
> without missing buttons? That's always been the problem with them.

Sony VL900. Has a small LCD panel so you can have custom labels for
some buttons.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 4:16:05 AM

Fred Bloggs wrote:
> The harmony has an LCD screen with upto 8 buttons that can be assigned to do
> anything that you want (no user programmable macros though, most common
> macros are already provided).

I second the Harmony...sweet, sweet candy ;-)
December 16, 2004 9:43:17 AM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:26:13 -0800, Stephen Tu <stephtu@surfbest.net> wrote:

>On 14 Dec 2004 18:36:17 -0800, in article
><1103078177.579646.114600@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "Caloonese"
><caloonese@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>My problem with universal remote is that you will always find a remote
>>button that cannot be mapped to the limited buttons on the universal.
>>It turns out that I will have a universal that work 90% of the time.
>>But all my other remotes must stay in the vicinity just in case I need
>>to get to one of those unique buttons.
>>
>>I have read about the Harmony, but it does not seem to address my
>>problem.
>
>The more expensive true universal remotes, including Harmony &
>Home Theater Master, ~$70 and up have LCD screens so that you can label
>buttons to handle unique functions. You don't need your original
>remotes after programming; they learn all functions.

What happens to the programming when you have to replace the batteries?
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:43:18 AM

RR (rr@not.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> >The more expensive true universal remotes, including Harmony &
> >Home Theater Master, ~$70 and up have LCD screens so that you can label
> >buttons to handle unique functions. You don't need your original
> >remotes after programming; they learn all functions.
>
> What happens to the programming when you have to replace the batteries?

That depends on the remote.

There is a reviewer at http://www.remotecentral.com/ who found an old
Sony RM-AV2000 (I think it was the 2000, but that whole line is the same)
in a drawer. It had no batteries, and had been that way for 6 months or
more, yet new batteries brought the screen back to life and all the
programming was still there.

--
Jeff Rife | copy protection: n. A class of methods for
SPAM bait: | preventing incompetent pirates from stealing
| -- Jargon File version 4.4.6
December 16, 2004 8:37:08 PM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 03:38:34 -0500, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

>RR (rr@not.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> >The more expensive true universal remotes, including Harmony &
>> >Home Theater Master, ~$70 and up have LCD screens so that you can label
>> >buttons to handle unique functions. You don't need your original
>> >remotes after programming; they learn all functions.
>>
>> What happens to the programming when you have to replace the batteries?
>
>That depends on the remote.
>
>There is a reviewer at http://www.remotecentral.com/ who found an old
>Sony RM-AV2000 (I think it was the 2000, but that whole line is the same)
>in a drawer. It had no batteries, and had been that way for 6 months or
>more, yet new batteries brought the screen back to life and all the
>programming was still there.

All I'm saying is the statement above "You don't need your original
remotes after programming" ain't really true.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 6:54:30 PM

RR (rr@not.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> All I'm saying is the statement above "You don't need your original
> remotes after programming" ain't really true.

For some remotes that you can enter "keycodes", it is true. Unless you
have very obscure piece of equipment, you can just enter the right code
for each key. Usually, the keycode systems allow you to get *more*
commands than the original remote has.

--
!