Any problems with this case?

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I have an Apevia X-plorer case that I put my first system into last october. I have had issues with it, but nothing that I haven't fixed myself with a bit of thinking. I am wondering if it does in fact have good airflow.
My temps don't get too hot, the case sensor (which is right by the northbridge) reads about 46 degrees celsius while playing a game for awhile. I don't think that's too bad, but I don't want to rely on just one temp reading.

I have a 120mm fan in the back, an 80 mm in the front under hard drive rack and an 80mm in the top vent. My cpu fan shoots the air out the side vent, and the PSU fan (120mm) moves air up, away from the rest.

So, despite getting a cheap case, is my x-plorer acceptable for cooling?
Note: I have not experienced any lock ups or anything due to overheating.

I'm just curious....

If links would be helpful, let me know...

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Well, there is a side vent where a fan could be placed, but the cpu fan (the heatsink one) aims right out the duct.

Link

That's the case. now, there is a vent towards the bottom back of the case (you can see it in the picture on the side with the window.)
The duct that I'm talking about sits right above the cpu fan and an 80mm fan could be placed there.
Also, I could place another 80mm fan next to the other one by the hard drive rack.

However, I like the duct where it is and do not have any more fans available at the moment. When I bought the case, it came with ONE 80mm fan. So, I did also order the 120mm blue led fan from Apevia. Makes it look sweet!!

However, I do not have any heat issues at the moment, since nothing that I have checked EVER gets above the 49 C mark especially in a game.. (again, that's according to the case sensor so it could be off by a bit...)

Besides, what's the point of the cpu duct if my psu fan just sucks air upwards?

T.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
OK, you have a vent and duct feeding cool air TO the cpu. The cpu fan draws in air and forces it down over the cpu and then over the motherboard circuits, (unlike your perception of how it works). This is good. Your temps are OK, but they could be better.. A fan on the side would help lower the temps even further, but does not seem necessary and would add noise. Life is good!

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Ok, thanks for the confirmation.
In the future if I get a faster card (which I most likely will) I may install another 80mm fan on the side panel, but for now, I am happy with everything..

T.

I sell several case models by Apevia, and the only issue I would have with your case is the folded rail at the top of the motherboard tray.

Certain motherboards may have issues with that rail being so close to the motherboard proper. It could possibly short out or cause problems with capacitors or other motherboard components being too close to the rail.

I have in 2 instances had to replace motherboards for customers who have had this particular style of case (This is an issue with most Apevia cases).

It seems that you don't have this issue with your current setup, but I would be wary of this issue when choosing your next motherboard.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks for the advice Wyrm.
I do believe that my next build will go into a different case that is a bit better designed. I like the look of the Thermaltake's, the Lian Li's, and some other more expensive ones. This was my first ever build and I had no problem with the case. I just had to use my brain a little to think about how things are going to fit, which is no biggie for me...

I do believe that if a friend of mine wanted me to build them a computer, that I would use an Apevia case if they liked it. I do not mind this one at all, except since I've seen other cases that are a little bit better built I want to work with one for the sake of experience.

Thanks
T.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Well, I do not forsee me building anytime soon unfortunately....
This comp should last me like 2-3 years with upgrades, hopefully. I do not have the money to build another right now or anytime soon (I need a car first...)

I wish I could build another pc, they are fun. ....Maybe you can start a donation? heheh.
:D :)