Sign in with
Your question

Need help installing win xp in dell optiplex GX110

Last response: in Windows XP
May 28, 2007 6:27:42 PM

Hi there,

I received a dell optiplex gx110 and its os is win 2000 and it has a password so I removed the hard disk of the dell and put it on the other pc as a slave drive and I formatted the the hard disk in NTFS. When I was ready to install the win xp, the computer says NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt del to restart even though the boot sequence is in IDE CDROM > Floppy > Hard disk.
I really need any kind of help. thanks

Update
I decided to format it again as a FAT32 using my other pc. "The NTLDR is missing" was changed into "Remove disk or other media press any key to restart".
May 29, 2007 5:43:29 AM

Did you by any chance leave a floppy disk in the drive? That's the exact error you'll get if you left a non-bootable floppy in the drive...
May 29, 2007 10:55:37 AM

I am 100% sure that there are no diskettes on drive. I even removed the whole floppy reader...
Related resources
May 29, 2007 9:08:20 PM

This generally what you get as Zoron said when there is a diskette in the machine or no operating system on the hard drive. If the machine doesn't find a bootable CD it will next go to the Floppy and then the hdd the way your's is setup. It appears for what ever reason the CD is not being recognized as bootable or not even checking the CD ROM. A friend of mine has a Dell and to get it to boot from the Windows CD he had to hit an F key to set the boot sequence rather than using the BIOS, have no idea why. I think it may have been F12 but not certain You could also try a different optical drive
May 30, 2007 1:36:36 AM

with dell you can go to bios to set boot priority or you can F12 and be taken to a quick boot priority menu instead of going into the bios ;) 

if you go to the bios you set the priority for every boot but f12 just allows you to change boot priority for that boot time and not the rest, very handy ;) 
May 30, 2007 5:30:25 PM

Everyone,

Thanks to all the help. I found out that the IDE cable itself is damged :(  . I replaced it with the new one and I was able to boot from the cd.
May 30, 2007 5:53:09 PM

glad to hear you got it fixed good luck ;) 
!