bolton1202

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Hey all,

I'm currently doing some research on a new computer for when the dx10 games hit, and I had a quick question regarding memory.

I've been looking at the corsair xms2 800mhz 4-4-4-12, and in review, i have heard some people talking about how they had to manually change to the 4-4-4-12 in BIOS. I dont know much about BIOS settings or overclocking, but if I was to do this, could I change only the memory or would I have to overclock the whole FSB. My main concern is voiding my warranties, as everything I'm planning on buying has 3/year-lifetime warranties.

Hey all,

I'm currently doing some research on a new computer for when the dx10 games hit, and I had a quick question regarding memory.

I've been looking at the corsair xms2 800mhz 4-4-4-12, and in review, i have heard some people talking about how they had to manually change to the 4-4-4-12 in BIOS. I dont know much about BIOS settings or overclocking, but if I was to do this, could I change only the memory or would I have to overclock the whole FSB. My main concern is voiding my warranties, as everything I'm planning on buying has 3/year-lifetime warranties.

Memory timings and fsb speed are seperate things. You can adjust the memory timings manually in BIOS if needed. Adjusting memory timings has absolutely nothing to do with the RAM's warranty. many companys, including Corsair, offer a lifetime warranty on their RAM.

Your MB's BIOS will automatically set your RAM's timings in BIOS. This is called SPID setting. Then, after BIOS has detected and set the RAM timings automatically via SPID, you can go into BIOS and manually adjust the RAM's timings to 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15. HTH.

The 4-4-4-12 setting is obviously faster, but would there be an advantage to using the 5-5-5-15 setting?

Psychomonkey is right. The 4-4-4-12 settings would make the RAM more responsive, but if you have a major overclock going on, loosening the timings to 5-5-5-12 would give the system the flexibility to overclock a bit higher.

bolton1202

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Thanks alot, that post was very informative. That being said, I think I'll just go the easy/safe route and get EPP memory/mobo. I just dont like the idea of manually changing voltage, etc.

bolton1202

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Ive been doing some more research on memory/motherboards, and although memory usually says it does support EPP, motherboards do not say. How can I be sure if a specific motherboard supports EPP?

bolton1202

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
The only way to get epp is with nvidia chipset thats also SLI certified? If so I might have to reconsider, and time the memory myself.

If I do end up doing this, how do I set my memory clock. Is it as easy as the timings? And if I only clock as high as the manufacturer specifies will I still be within the limits of my warranty?

Mondoman

Splendid
The only way to get epp is with nvidia chipset thats also SLI certified?
Yes, *all* the installed RAM *and* the MB need to be EPP/SLI enabled.

how do I set my memory clock. Is it as easy as the timings?
In general, yes, although the details vary from MB to MB (especially between different brands). For example, in some MBs you set the memory bus speed as an absolute value, while in others you set it as a ratio of the FSB speed.

And if I only clock as high as the manufacturer specifies will I still be within the limits of my warranty?
Yes; remember that to reach the advertised speed/latency, you will likely first have to increase the DIMM voltage to the manufacturer's spec'd value for that model DIMM. I recommend first changing the voltage in the BIOS, saving the changes, rebooting, and only then changing the memory speed/latency in the BIOS.