bolton1202

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I'm trying to make a decision on what motherboard to buy for my soon-to-be purchaced dx10 compatible computer.

Other than making sure it supports everything else I buy, what types of things should I look for in a gaming motherboard? Are there chipsets geared towards gaming computers?

Things I have already decided on are
corsair xms2 ddr2 800 4-4-4-12
intel c2d e6600
xfs geforce 8800gts

goodass

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2004
consider ASUS Striker Extreme, its a nforce 680i SLI mobo... expensive, but it's a great board for gamers....
not only it supports ALL the specs you mentioned, in fact it asks for more :)

bolton1202

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Ive heard the 680i chipset has problems with some models of corsair RAM. That coupled with the fact that it seems geared more towards those who choose to go the SLI route, I'm not so sure if its the chipset for me. I'm no guru however, I could be wrong on this.

Any other gaming mobo suggestions?

bolton1202

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Other than SLI, is an intel board just as good for gaming? And do you mean an intel board or a board with an intel chipset.

MonocleCat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
He means a board with the intel chipset. You might also want to wait and see what the bearlake boards look like before deciding on one, thats what I'm doing. Right now I'm either going with the EVGA board or waiting for a bearlake one. Basically, the 680i boards are good for gaming, and so are the intel boards. However, the intel boards don't support SLI at the moment but do support crossfire. You're going with an nVidia card so you might want to consider whether or not you will go SLI in the future. If you're like me, you want to keep your options open so you don't have to buy another ~$200 board in the future to upgrade your video situation.

By the way, can any EVGA 680i board owners tell me the difference between the T1 and A1 boards? There's about a $20 price difference, but the specs seem to be the same.