DVD and HDTV Question

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 12, 2004 2:04:20 PM

I understand that DVDs do not contain the full resolution? to make full use
of HDTV display capabilities. Two questions please:

- how do HDTVs "handle" DVDs in terms of quality and format - say versus how
they handle VHS. Is quality of DVD on HDTV substantially better?

- will higher resolution DVDs be produced in the future that will take full
advantage of HDTV display quality?

Thanks

More about : dvd hdtv question

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:39:22 PM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:04:20 -0500, "Paul Richard"
<paul_richard@comcast.net> wrote:

>I understand that DVDs do not contain the full resolution? to make full use
>of HDTV display capabilities.

Not enough room on DVDs to contain a full HD program.

>- how do HDTVs "handle" DVDs in terms of quality and format - say versus how
>they handle VHS. Is quality of DVD on HDTV substantially better?

Yes. the resolution of the programs on DVD is superior to that on VHS
(although neither are HD) and the difference is visible on HD
displays.

>- will higher resolution DVDs be produced in the future that will take full
>advantage of HDTV display quality?

Expect to see HD discs (2 formats, of course!) next year.

Kal
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:04:21 PM

Thank you, Kal.

"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:04:20 -0500, "Paul Richard"
> <paul_richard@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I understand that DVDs do not contain the full resolution? to make full
>>use
>>of HDTV display capabilities.
>
> Not enough room on DVDs to contain a full HD program.
>
>>- how do HDTVs "handle" DVDs in terms of quality and format - say versus
>>how
>>they handle VHS. Is quality of DVD on HDTV substantially better?
>
> Yes. the resolution of the programs on DVD is superior to that on VHS
> (although neither are HD) and the difference is visible on HD
> displays.
>
>>- will higher resolution DVDs be produced in the future that will take
>>full
>>advantage of HDTV display quality?
>
> Expect to see HD discs (2 formats, of course!) next year.
>
> Kal
December 13, 2004 4:05:53 PM

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:04:20 -0500, "Paul Richard"
> <paul_richard@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>I understand that DVDs do not contain the full resolution? to make full use
>>of HDTV display capabilities.
>

> Not enough room on DVDs to contain a full HD program.

Not quite true. Back in the days of DIVX (spit) there was a
demonstration of DIVX-HD which was 720p encoded on a standard DVD and
played back on a tricked up DIVX player. A two hour movie could be
stored on one side of a DVD in 720p HD assuming that the video + audio
bitstream was under 10 Mb/s.

Matthew (I don't know how good the quality would be, though)
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:44:43 PM

A DVD played back in 480p is pretty darned sharp. A lot better than anything
you'll see on a standard res TV.

!