Status
Not open for further replies.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
RKS Software
MightyFax Beta - Additional Information

Program Requirements
Operating system Windows XP or Windows Vista, 32-bit only.

We do not have immediate plans for support of 64-bit Windows, as there just isn't that much demand for it right now.

Great, another vendor NOT getting out in front of things, when will Vista 64-bit get some respect?
Running Vista Home Premium 64-bit and no way to fax through my PC…..

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
I have no faxing "hardware".......When I had XP I did not need hardware..Faxing was part of the O.S. (exception of phone modem and phone line)

I want software either from MS or a Vendor to allow me to use my O.S. to fax just like I had with XP.........guess too much to ask for......

If you go to Add/Remove Windows components, Windows Fax should be somewhere on that list... it is never installed by default, even when you have a fax / modem installed in your computer.

If you have no fax / modem in your computer, then I must assume you are using a "print to fax" option on an external fax machine / printer. If this is the case, Windows Fax should still allow you to do so, but then so should the drivers that came with the fax/printer... it may be a matter of waiting for the manufacturer to release them.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
"If you go to Add/Remove Windows components, Windows Fax should be somewhere on that list".........

I'm telling you it is NOT there. MS removed it from the Vista O.S. with the exception of Ultimate...........

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Let me try again.....When I had XP, all I needed was a phone modem and phone line because XP had faxing capabilities......I am now running Vista Home Premium 64-bit WITH a phone modem and phone line....HOWEVER, since going with VISTA there is no longer any Faxing Software in the O.S.

Therefore, I am NOT faxing at the current time............

You're right... you didn't make that clear. All modems you purchase for PCs have fax capability built-in... if they didn't you would NOT be able to fax period... wouldn't make a difference if it was XP or Vista. The software is useless if your hardware can't talk to a fax machine.

In the meantime, you can see if this meets your needs:

Snappy Fax for 64-bit Windows Don't worry if it doesn't specifically say Vista... if it works on 64-bit WinXP, chances are Vista won't have an issue with it.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Thank you......I did call MS sales and they will not sell "Windows Scan and Fax" separately....It is available in their business O.S. and Vista Ultimate only.....

Snappy Fax 4.0 looks like the way to go.....thanks for the help.......

No problem.

Your wording led me to believe that you didn't have a modem at all... which you clearly do. Also, I was not aware that native fax capabilities were exclusive to Vista Business and Ultimate... I will make note of that. I did a quick Google search for "64-bit fax software" and Snappy was right at the top of the list. If you don't like it, then I'm sure you'd be able to find others.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Emails to Snappy Fax:

(Email #1)
Running Vista home premium 64-bit…downloaded your free trial of Snappy Fax 4.0…Snappy Fax can NOT detect my modem.

I am running Windows media center..Your remedy is the following:

• Start media center
• Click settings
• Click messenger and caller ID
• Where it shows “show notification for…”, highlight the radio button “none”
• Click save
• Exit media center.

However, when I click settings there is no mention of “messenger and call ID”…Under settings, I find:

• General
• TV
• Pictures
• Music
• DVD
• Extenders
• Library setup

Please advise…………

Lexonex

(Email #2)
Greetings,

Downloaded your 64bit version of Snappy Fax 4.0. Having a hell of time trying to get it to work…some reason will not recognize my modem…I have broad band but, did have a data/phone modem on my tower too….Can’t get my modem settings…can’t find the port?

Can you walk me through this?

Thanks

Lexonex

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Let's go back to the beginning. Do you see the modem installed under Vista's Fax and Modems in the Control Panel or do you see it in your System settings? If it is in your System, are there any graphic indicators that there is a problem with the device?

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Let's go back to the beginning. Do you see the modem installed under Vista's Fax and Modems in the Control Panel or do you see it in your System settings? If it is in your System, are there any graphic indicators that there is a problem with the device?

1. In my Control Panel I show NO “Fax and Modems”..I DO show “Phone and Modem” and “Printers” …”Fax” is NO where……

2. In my Control Panel under “Printers” I show: CutePDF writer, Hp Laserjet 1300 PCL 5, Microsoft XPS Document writer and Snappy Fax Printer.

Here is a screen shot of “Phone and Modem”:
http://members.cox.net/lexonex/modem shot.bmp

Here is a screen shot of my Control Panel:

http://members.cox.net/lexonex/control panel shot.bmp

With my Gateway purchase I included item# 3400296 56k Data/Fax Modem or more specifically a CXT SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP (worked great with XP)

Error code 39:

http://members.cox.net/lexonex/code 39.bmp

I did try and "check for solutions" and got this:
Description:
Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 39.

So I go to update the Driver and I have Windows search the Web and update the driver automatically and this is what I get:

http://members.cox.net/lexonex/update driver.bmp

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 39.

The problem in a nutshell is I have the latest “32-bit” drivers and no wonder it encountered a problem when it tried to run—I have a 64-bit Operating System. So here are my choices:

1. Look around the globe for 64-bit drivers for my PCI Soft Data Modem with SmartCP (Conexant—CXT SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP) which Gateway support does NOT have these 64-bit drivers. Or:

2. Purchase a Fax Data Modem that is certified Vista Ready and complete with 64-bit drivers.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Greetings,

Downloaded your Snappy Fax 4.0 (30 day trial) and unable to
communicate/select fax modem settings.

I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit (I upgraded from XP to Vista
via clean install) and have the following data fax modem (It came
with my Gateway PC and worked great with XP):
PCI Soft Data Modem with SmartCP
(Conexant-CXT SoftV92 Data Fax Modem)

Windows keeps claiming I have the most updated drivers but, keeps
encountering a problem. I believe the issue is that, yes I do have
the latest drivers-32bit-and the encountered problem is it can't
communicate/work in a 64bit operating system.

Anyway, what I need from you is the name of a manufacturer and their
model number of a PCI fax data modem COMPLETE with 64bit drivers. IF
that is not possible what about an external fax data modem with 64bit
drivers connected to my pc via USB 2.0? Again, I need the manufacturer and their model number.

OR and better yet IF possible, WHERE CAN I LOCATE/OBTAIN 64 BIT
DRIVERS FOR MY CURRENT DATA FAX MODEM? Thank you. Lexonex

Lexonex,

Sorry I cannot help you with that, we don't use 64bit Windows here.

Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:24 AM
To: Lexonex
Subject: Re: Vista 64bit Fax Data Modem

Lexonex wrote:
You do understand that your product functions with Vista 64bit?..I
mean I loaded it and except for the modem issue I have Snappy Fax 4.0
screens..............

Yes, I'm aware of that all 32bit applications will run under 64bit windows and 64bit processors but drivers must be 64bit. We have a 64bit printer driver with the 64bit distribution.

But I do not have a database of all modem mfg's here and their compatibility with 64bit windows, sorry (John T. Snappy Fax)

gwenflorida

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
I recently upgraded to Vista Home Premium and was dismayed to learn that there is no faxing capability built into this operating system. Microsoft wanted to sell me an OS upgrade. Dell wanted to sell me a fax machine. Finally I hit upon an external program called SnappyFax (SnappyFax.com). It's under $30, loads itself as a printer and works like a charm. It was an economical and excellent resolution for this problem.

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
I downloaded a free trial of SnappyFax and it looked pretty good. However, my O.S. is 64bit and my analog phone modem PCI Soft Data Modem with SmartCP (NO 64-bit Drivers for Faxing. Also known as Conexant—CXT SoftV92 Data Fax Modem WORTHLESS) does NOT have the 64bit drivers and I gave up trying to locate them.

I have on order an external analog phone modem powered by USB made by US Robotics (USR5633B) which has supported 64-bit drivers available on their support website. I believe this Faxmodem comes with its’ own faxing software too….

I’ll let you know…………….

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Finally I have my Vista 64 bit O.S. back to ALL functions I was running with XP. That is to say I now have Faxing, Scanning, Sound, Printing etc.

The faxing was a little tricky. Yes, there is 64 bit faxing software available from vendors but, where are the 64 bit drivers for the fax/data modems? YOU MUST HAVE BOTH. My personal solution was to go with U.S.Robotics and their external USB 56K Modem Model 5633B (They are located in the U.K. and must have tens of model numbers for the same device).

Don’t make the mistake I made by trusting the reps in the United Kingdom to send you the “right” 64 bit drivers by email. There are drivers meant for the U.K. and there are drivers meant for North America. I spent a couple of days trying the U.K. drivers and was GOING NUTS.

The CORRECT 64 bit driver for Model 5633B is found on the North American U.S. Robotics Website which is virtually indistinguishable from the U.K. Website. Here it is:

http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5633b

The free software that accompanies the Modem is quite basic and unsophisticated. But, it does work. It does NOT use the printing function of your O.S. and it is down to a “copy and paste” into the message part of your faxing “Phone Tools”. I don’t send that many faxes and so far have found it adequate.

Windows Vista Home Premium
64-bit Operating System
I.E. 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Gateway FX510S
Intel(R) Pentium® D 950 CPU 3.40GHz
800 MHz FSB, 2x2MB cache non-HT EM64T
Intel (Watsonville 2) 975x Motherboard
BIOS WT97510J.15A.2039.2006.0825.0358
600-Watt power supply
4093 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS Graphics Card

(IP Provider Cox Cable)
Download: 10.0 Mbps Upload: 1.0 Mbps
Coaxial direct to tower for TV viewing on Monitor

(Hardware)
HP ScanJet G4050 Scanner (complete with 64-bit software and 64-bit drivers) with HP Photosmart
U.S.Robotics External USB 56K Fax Modem Model 5633B
Linksys Cable Modem Ethernet connection
HP LaserJet 1300 PCL 5 printer
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers and Sub-Woofer
20” Envision LCD Monitor
30 GB Zune Digital Media Player
APC Back-UPS ES 750
Western Digital 60 GB Removable hard drive
Belkin 15in1 Media Reader/Writer

(All Software—64 bit compatible)
MS Office Professional 2007
Adobe Acrobat Standard 8.1
Adobe Reader 8.1
Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
MS Zune Software Version 1.4
Phone Tools Faxing Software free U.S.Robotics

lexonex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Faxing Software update; US Robotics external fax modem (model 5633B) for Vista 64 bit.

Found a software update for the BVRP Phone Tools faxing software (free with purchase of US Robotics modem) for my fax/data modem AND supports Vista 64 bit.

HURRAH!...

I can now fax any document..Anything I can print can now be faxed…

The update is at the bottom of the page:

http://www.usr.com/bvrp/bvrp.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS