  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows Vista
Share
May 30, 2007 3:05:38 AM

RKS Software
MightyFax Beta - Additional Information

Program Requirements
Operating system Windows XP or Windows Vista, 32-bit only.

We do not have immediate plans for support of 64-bit Windows, as there just isn't that much demand for it right now.

Great, another vendor NOT getting out in front of things, when will Vista 64-bit get some respect?
Running Vista Home Premium 64-bit and no way to fax through my PC…..

More about : vista bit faxing software

May 30, 2007 11:24:20 AM

If your hardware is recognized as a fax, you should be able to do it directly from the OS.
Score
0
May 30, 2007 11:50:04 AM

I have no faxing "hardware".......When I had XP I did not need hardware..Faxing was part of the O.S. (exception of phone modem and phone line)

I want software either from MS or a Vendor to allow me to use my O.S. to fax just like I had with XP.........guess too much to ask for......
Score
0
Related resources
May 30, 2007 1:53:06 PM

So if you have no fax capable hardware, how are you "faxing"? It sounds like the equivalent of bicycling without a bike.
Score
0
May 30, 2007 4:42:49 PM

If you go to Add/Remove Windows components, Windows Fax should be somewhere on that list... it is never installed by default, even when you have a fax / modem installed in your computer.

If you have no fax / modem in your computer, then I must assume you are using a "print to fax" option on an external fax machine / printer. If this is the case, Windows Fax should still allow you to do so, but then so should the drivers that came with the fax/printer... it may be a matter of waiting for the manufacturer to release them.
Score
0
May 31, 2007 11:45:19 AM

"If you go to Add/Remove Windows components, Windows Fax should be somewhere on that list".........

I'm telling you it is NOT there. MS removed it from the Vista O.S. with the exception of Ultimate...........
Score
0
May 31, 2007 5:25:22 PM

That's all fine and dandy... but you still haven't answered the question as to how you're faxing from your PC without a fax/modem.

:p
Score
0
May 31, 2007 6:08:43 PM

Let me try again.....When I had XP, all I needed was a phone modem and phone line because XP had faxing capabilities......I am now running Vista Home Premium 64-bit WITH a phone modem and phone line....HOWEVER, since going with VISTA there is no longer any Faxing Software in the O.S.

Therefore, I am NOT faxing at the current time............
Score
0
May 31, 2007 6:17:29 PM

You're right... you didn't make that clear. All modems you purchase for PCs have fax capability built-in... if they didn't you would NOT be able to fax period... wouldn't make a difference if it was XP or Vista. The software is useless if your hardware can't talk to a fax machine.

In the meantime, you can see if this meets your needs:

Snappy Fax for 64-bit Windows Don't worry if it doesn't specifically say Vista... if it works on 64-bit WinXP, chances are Vista won't have an issue with it.
Score
0
May 31, 2007 6:43:01 PM

Thank you......I did call MS sales and they will not sell "Windows Scan and Fax" separately....It is available in their business O.S. and Vista Ultimate only.....

Snappy Fax 4.0 looks like the way to go.....thanks for the help.......
Score
0
May 31, 2007 7:26:33 PM

No problem.

Your wording led me to believe that you didn't have a modem at all... which you clearly do. Also, I was not aware that native fax capabilities were exclusive to Vista Business and Ultimate... I will make note of that. I did a quick Google search for "64-bit fax software" and Snappy was right at the top of the list. If you don't like it, then I'm sure you'd be able to find others.
Score
0
June 1, 2007 2:32:53 AM

Emails to Snappy Fax:

(Email #1)
Running Vista home premium 64-bit…downloaded your free trial of Snappy Fax 4.0…Snappy Fax can NOT detect my modem.

I am running Windows media center..Your remedy is the following:

• Start media center
• Click settings
• Click messenger and caller ID
• Where it shows “show notification for…”, highlight the radio button “none”
• Click save
• Exit media center.

However, when I click settings there is no mention of “messenger and call ID”…Under settings, I find:

• General
• TV
• Pictures
• Music
• DVD
• Extenders
• Library setup

Please advise…………

Lexonex

(Email #2)
Greetings,

Downloaded your 64bit version of Snappy Fax 4.0. Having a hell of time trying to get it to work…some reason will not recognize my modem…I have broad band but, did have a data/phone modem on my tower too….Can’t get my modem settings…can’t find the port?

Can you walk me through this?

Thanks

Lexonex
Score
0
June 1, 2007 10:39:42 AM

Let's go back to the beginning. Do you see the modem installed under Vista's Fax and Modems in the Control Panel or do you see it in your System settings? If it is in your System, are there any graphic indicators that there is a problem with the device?
Score
0
June 1, 2007 11:27:40 PM

Quote:
Let's go back to the beginning. Do you see the modem installed under Vista's Fax and Modems in the Control Panel or do you see it in your System settings? If it is in your System, are there any graphic indicators that there is a problem with the device?

1. In my Control Panel I show NO “Fax and Modems”..I DO show “Phone and Modem” and “Printers” …”Fax” is NO where……

2. In my Control Panel under “Printers” I show: CutePDF writer, Hp Laserjet 1300 PCL 5, Microsoft XPS Document writer and Snappy Fax Printer.

Here is a screen shot of “Phone and Modem”:
http://members.cox.net/lexonex/modem%20shot.bmp

Here is a screen shot of my Control Panel:

http://members.cox.net/lexonex/control%20panel%20shot.bmp

With my Gateway purchase I included item# 3400296 56k Data/Fax Modem or more specifically a CXT SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP (worked great with XP)

Error code 39:

http://members.cox.net/lexonex/code%2039.bmp

I did try and "check for solutions" and got this:
Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 39.

So I go to update the Driver and I have Windows search the Web and update the driver automatically and this is what I get:

http://members.cox.net/lexonex/update%20driver.bmp
Score
0
June 2, 2007 1:20:12 PM

Windows was able to successfully install device driver software, but the driver software encountered a problem when it tried to run. The problem code is 39.

The problem in a nutshell is I have the latest “32-bit” drivers and no wonder it encountered a problem when it tried to run—I have a 64-bit Operating System. So here are my choices:

1. Look around the globe for 64-bit drivers for my PCI Soft Data Modem with SmartCP (Conexant—CXT SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP) which Gateway support does NOT have these 64-bit drivers. Or:

2. Purchase a Fax Data Modem that is certified Vista Ready and complete with 64-bit drivers.
Score
0
June 2, 2007 7:26:17 PM

you could go the smart route and just use a USB fax-modem.

I haven't had to use a fax or modem in 3 years so you should take that with a grain of salt.

--DD
Score
0
June 3, 2007 6:17:54 AM

Try to find the drivers... chances are they are out there, just Gateway doesn't have them.
Score
0
June 4, 2007 2:45:50 AM

Greetings,

Downloaded your Snappy Fax 4.0 (30 day trial) and unable to
communicate/select fax modem settings.

I am running Vista Home Premium 64 bit (I upgraded from XP to Vista
via clean install) and have the following data fax modem (It came
with my Gateway PC and worked great with XP):
PCI Soft Data Modem with SmartCP
(Conexant-CXT SoftV92 Data Fax Modem)

Windows keeps claiming I have the most updated drivers but, keeps
encountering a problem. I believe the issue is that, yes I do have
the latest drivers-32bit-and the encountered problem is it can't
communicate/work in a 64bit operating system.

Anyway, what I need from you is the name of a manufacturer and their
model number of a PCI fax data modem COMPLETE with 64bit drivers. IF
that is not possible what about an external fax data modem with 64bit
drivers connected to my pc via USB 2.0? Again, I need the manufacturer and their model number.

OR and better yet IF possible, WHERE CAN I LOCATE/OBTAIN 64 BIT
DRIVERS FOR MY CURRENT DATA FAX MODEM? Thank you. Lexonex

Lexonex,

Sorry I cannot help you with that, we don't use 64bit Windows here.