Laugh all you want, help needed

sharpman

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I am working on my first computer build up. I have received the gigabyte 650I Sli and the E6600. When placing the processor in the slot, the instructions say the latch will close easily. I have followed the arrow and it sits in place but I am unable to close without any attempt of force. I have googled and found only the saying of it will close easily. The arrows are lined up but closing is not. I dont want to mess up my first build. Advice very well appreciated.

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I'm not laughing-

I build my first computer last month. I had to really look at the diagram & get myself orientated correctly to be sure the processor was in correctly. I went very slowly with that step.

If I am remembering correctly (wait for more conformations) the lever which latches under the hook required a firm hand. But please get opinions from people who have more experience then I.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Did you put the cpu on top of the motherboard's pins after taking out that little protective cover, or are you trying to put the cpu in on top of the cover? At this point make sure you have not bent any of the 775 pins in the motherboard socket. The latch does close easily.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
It should fit in only one correct way, if you look at the outlining of the bottom of the CPU as well as the socket.

Moving the lever on the left side (or depending how your looking at it) will require some force. Just use enough to secure it, once you are sure you have the CPU in correctly.

Edit:

Oooph, jack beat me to it. :lol:

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Jack is right, you do need to apply some force to latch that metal thingie (yes, I'm always this eloquent). It kind of unnerved me at first, too, but it's not that bad, and my comp runs fine. Remember, Intel wants to make sure its $300 chip will not move.

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I had never built a 775 system...i was astonished at the simplicity...these guys have already covered everything...just make sure its in the right way

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I am working on my first computer build up. I have received the gigabyte 650I Sli and the E6600. When placing the processor in the slot, the instructions say the latch will close easily. I have followed the arrow and it sits in place but I am unable to close without any attempt of force. I have googled and found only the saying of it will close easily. The arrows are lined up but closing is not. I dont want to mess up my first build. Advice very well appreciated.
i'm not laughing too

the first is always the hardest, yet you learn the most from it.

i remember when i was building my first system (AMD 939), for some reason i was too excited or something, that i put too much force into squeezing the CPU into the socket... that a pin almost broke off (it was really bent). it took me about half an hour to come to myself and try to fix that with a tweezer. :lol: :lol:

OK NO LAUGHING PLEASE....

sharpman

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Thanks to every reply. I did not want to use any force from what was said in manuals of mobo and processor. I went in and did have to apply force as stated. I will eventually learn after a day or two if all is still good. I still have a few more things to get and do. :D

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Even if it doesn't post don't assume it's the processor. I had a doa mobo, THAT was real fun for a first timer. 8O

djplanet

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
How 'bout forgetting to plug in the auxiliary power of the processor? Surprise, surprise, no POST :? . Not as bad, but I sure felt like an idiot after all that stressing for nothing.

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Ha ha, :lol:.

Least your AMD system got working. Tried a build once, didn't work. Tried a early generation P4 style slot with a Celeron, didn't work.

Then I wised up and bought a Gateway, because "Dude, I'm not buying a Dell"®.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Ha ha, :lol:.

Least your AMD system got working. Tried a build once, didn't work. Tried a early generation P4 style slot with a Celeron, didn't work.

Then I wised up and bought a Gateway, because "Dude, I'm not buying a Dell"®.
We spend countless hours here at Tom's trying to prevent these kinds of travesties. We have failed...

deprimetriste294230fr.gif