Sign in with
Your question

Vista Ultimate 64-bit VS Webcam

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 30, 2007 9:42:19 PM

Well, I have a problem with Vista and Webcams.

I have recently purchased (and built) the following system:

Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
4GB DDR2 800 PC6400
768MB BFG 8800GTX
ASUS P5W64 WS PRO Motherboard
2x320GB SATA2 in RAID 0
Corsair HX 520W PSU
Vista Ultimate 64Bit

The only problem is, I cant get a webcam to work.

My old webcam (Creative Vista Live! Cam) doesnt have drivers for Vista 64-bit, so I decided to purchase a Microsoft LifeCam (VX1000) assuming that because the product is Microsoft, itd work. Well, I was wrong, this doesnt work either.

Having the problem with two webcams, I decided to consult the internet before purchasing another. After searching I found that the "Trust USB2 Hi Res Cam" apparently worked with Vista, and even better, Vista 64-bit. So I purchased, and yet again, same problem, it just doesnt work. It recognizes the device, installs the device but when it comes to configuring the the device, I get no output from the webcam or the confiugration program just crashes on me...lovely.

Well by this time im pretty angry, so i decided to go down to PC World (Yes, I know, its poor, but what the hell) and decided to consult one of the "Trained" staff there, who pointed me in the direction of the LifeCam VX-3000, and guess what, it doesn't work :) 

After that long message, what I'm basically saying is "Does anyone have a webcam that works on Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit"

Athankyou,

Karl
May 31, 2007 4:01:00 AM

My Logitech Orbit MP webcam works fine with Vista Ultimate x64... and I'm even still using RC2.

Logitech has had drivers available for a while now, and even all the features (so far as I can tell) work. I was quite impressed after I installed the driver... especially considering that Logitech had been dragging it's feet on 64-bit driver support ever since XP Pro x64 was released. People were demanding a 64-bit driver, but it wasn't until Vista's release that Logitech got their collective butts in gear and released one.

Any newer Logi webcam should work with Vista x64... except for perhaps the lower-end models. (Logitech Quickcam IM won't work with Vista in either 32 or 64-bit).
m
l
May 31, 2007 2:10:21 PM

Are you using the OS webcam app or the software that came with the webcam?
m
l
Related resources
May 31, 2007 8:49:37 PM

erm, I used the ones that came with the camera first, then downloaded the 64-bit ones off the Microsoft website.

Thanks Zoron, I'll give the Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX Plus or the Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000 a go :) 

I asked my mate aswell, and he has one of the Quickcams and he says it works fine so Ill try Logitech :) 

Thanks again
m
l
June 13, 2007 5:09:09 PM

My microsoft vx1000 web camera work with vista (ultimate) 64bit.
For the moment, there is two way to fix this problem if you use 4gb memory.
1. disable memory remapping in bios (then this web cam will work)
2. Use a USB hub with power supply can also fix this problem (this also work on my computer)
m
l
Anonymous
October 15, 2009 3:35:47 AM

I know this is an old post but I have the same unresolved problem as Karl_Krux
m
l
!