Sign in with
Your question

what happens when you RAM fails.?

Last response: in Memory
May 6, 2007 1:07:56 AM

when you ram fails and you try to start up the pc.. you get to video output correct?.. or your monitor would say no signal.. ryte.. the fans and everything would spin but no signal...

isnt this what happens if your ram fails...

cuz this happened to my comp.. first i swapped video card.. same
then i swapped to a new mobo.. same

so last thing is RAM .. its a must..

cuz fans spin so power supply obviously works..
well is it ramm then? has to be heh.. advice suggestions appreciated.. thankss

More about : ram fails

May 6, 2007 2:10:55 AM

Depends on the MB.
There are many things that can go wrong. For example, just because fans spin doesn't mean everything on the PS is working right.
More often than not, it's an assembly problem, not a defective part. You might want to read this post: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
May 6, 2007 3:09:16 AM

this has happened to me a few times. my experience with it though has made me believe its the video card. my system boots, the screen is on but turns black, fans are spinning and its like the system is trying to roll over but cant quite make it. i tweak the video card and it turns on. its kind of strange. only happens occasionally. i was told to swap the ram around in the sockets but it didn't help.
Related resources
May 6, 2007 4:23:47 AM

Quote:
when you ram fails and you try to start up the pc.. you get to video output correct?.. or your monitor would say no signal.. ryte.. the fans and everything would spin but no signal...

isnt this what happens if your ram fails...

cuz this happened to my comp.. first i swapped video card.. same
then i swapped to a new mobo.. same

so last thing is RAM .. its a must..

cuz fans spin so power supply obviously works..
well is it ramm then? has to be heh.. advice suggestions appreciated.. thankss

that sounds more like your power supply failing

Unplug power from everything except mobo and if it boots then you have a short or your PS is failing under full load.

Your memory is more insidious. You will just get random reboots and blue screens usually under stress of applications or boot ups
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2007 4:48:58 AM

lemme get this straight. You have tried a new vid card and a new MOBO and still you have this problem so you are assuming it must be RAM by process of elimination?

As someone else said it could be your power supply. It might be working partially but not enough. Did you try 1 stick of ram only and in a different slot?

Easist thing might be to borrow another stick of RAM and try it. If still no go next try is power supply. Don't hook up anything else during testing process. No HD's, no sound cards, no peripherals at all. Just barebones. This will get you to the bottom of it soon enough.
May 6, 2007 6:32:49 AM

this is just pretty frustrating...
umm yeah i tried the ram in a different slot..
oh and the beep cold.. i get one beep every other second.. a continuous beep and the beep code states RAM.. but see u never know.. so i guess i gotta get another ram.... and if no then PS maybe... but i guess ill try to unplug all the power except the mobo power thanks
May 6, 2007 8:04:47 PM

Quote:
... i get one beep every other second.. a continuous beep ...s

1 beep every other second is NOT a "continuous beep".
May 6, 2007 8:15:52 PM

well i meant a repetitive beep
May 6, 2007 8:37:31 PM

your ewe starts whoring around.
May 6, 2007 10:04:27 PM

When I hear that beeping the first thing I check is the RAM. If you've just moved the machine it may have come slightly unseated. If the board can't detect the RAM or there is a compatibility problem, beeping is the usual result (no POST, no monitor display, etc.).

If your RAM is just unreliable in the sense that it's randomly flipping bits, yes you can expect a lot of blue screens and kernel panics etc. But that doesn't sound like what you're seeing.

If you're hearing beeping, I would tend to believe it's not the power supply. In any event I would be careful about what you swap in. If it turns out to be a fried PS you never know when it will fry something else connected to it.
May 6, 2007 11:04:34 PM

yeah i havent suspected it to be the PS tho. just cuz the fans and everything seem to work wen i power up the system.. everything seems to function.. except no display.. replaced vid card.. mobo.. same thing.. but ram is still there so i gotta try to ram..... if its not the ram wut is it.. cant be me doing something wrong cuz i've closely cehcked it.. just cuz i wanna make sure .. but see only things left are possibly..

RAM
PS
CPU
possibly my errors?..
but it cant be cuz i had this comp working.. it ran two days.. the morning i turned it on. left for 2 minutes came back no display.. so...
not sure what to think anymore.. but RAM is my next replacement to see what happens
thanks
a b } Memory
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 7, 2007 12:22:00 AM

Do not know if you have access to a volt meter, If you do I would check your 12v and 5 Volt lines. I've had a couple of PS's where the 5V line has dropped to close to the non operating point. Not sure if the DIMM voltage is derived from the +12 or the +5 line. I beleive the +5 should not be below +4.75
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 12, 2010 4:35:39 AM

when the RAM is faliure
five beep sound
!