Downgrading Vista to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aljazera

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I'm not completely computer proficient, but I wanted to downgrade to XP. Since I've had XP, I haven't been able to install some programs that came with my motherboard.

I'd like to downgrade to XP, do I need to go into MSDOS and format the harddrive and then reinstall my XP or is there an application on Vista that allows me to.

I'm going to wait a while when they release a service pack before I upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

By the way... Defragging on Vista is annoying you can't see the progress and it takes hours on hours to get no where.

dblD

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
I think installing XP is as simple as booting from your XP dvd and following the instructions. You may have the option of setting up a dual-boot environment (don't do it, you'll totally regret it in a couple of months) When you get to the screen that ask you where you want to install XP (it will show your currently active partition and any others you may have), just tell it to delete the active partition on your system. After that, you will need to have it create a new partition, format it, and then install XP.

Re defrag in Vista, it is a totally different approach - set and forget. You just tell it to do defrag automatically and you never have to pay attention to it again. It is all done (constantly) in the background, very low overhead.

--DD

Aljazera

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I just put in my Windows XP cd and restarted the computer and the windows starts to initialize the setup (the blue screen with a text bar at the bottom flashes different drivers its initializing and setting up) and at the end it gives me the BSOD.

Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.