Nutty_

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
My motherboard died on me. I bought a new different one but, obviously i cannot get windows to start. I plugged the HDD on another PC to copy all the important data to another disk so i can format and install windows again.

The thing is, how to i open the "my documents" folder of a user account i had that is password protected?

PS: I obviously know the password.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Did you try to boot into Safe Mode with the old version of Windows installed on the mobo. If you can get into Safe Mode uninstall all the drivers. I've been able to boot into Windows with a new mobo but I uninstalled all the drivers before I did it

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Dude, you totally rock! That link you provided was exaclty what I needed to access my wife's soon-to-be-replaced HDD.

And it was so easy to phucking do it was scary!

xanxaz

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
one thing that you might already notice... you might have to do that for almost every folder you have... at least to me it happens a lot... glad to help

xanxaz

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
windows xp security is just too lamme... you can override with just some clicks in your mouse... do it when you feel the need to do it... and in a system fail you know you can acess the data.

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
windows xp security is just too lamme... you can override with just some clicks in your mouse... do it when you feel the need to do it... and in a system fail you know you can acess the data.

You can do that i any system, where you can gain physical access